fb

Greetings!

Tagged: 

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    audrey.the.author
    @audrey-the-author

Greetings, fellow Wordsmiths! My name is Audrey. I am a formerly homeschooled adult studying Entrepreneurship and Marketing at community college. I am of a dramatic bent, which means I enjoy bringing characters to life, whether they are in my head, on my page, or from genius works of others *cough cough* The Secret Garden *cough*. Typically, the characters are verbally expressed at one point or another. This gets interesting, especially when other people are present. I competed in Stoa (a Christian homeschool speech and debate league) for three years, and this greatly increased my understanding of the spoken word, acting, presentation, and professionalism, as well as organization, plot arcs, and distinguishing characters. (Clearly, I also believe in the Oxford comma.) My interpretations of ten-minute or five-minute selections from literature included Good Morning, Miss Dove, The Secret Garden, Les Miserables, Out of the Dust, Romeo and Juliet and a piece I wrote myself about Abraham and Mary Lincoln during his presidency. Any other Stoa kids out there?

I’ve been writing avidly for at least ten years, but on September 22nd of this last Autumn, I completed the first draft of my first novel. *insert loud excitement and thankfulness* Recently, I have been realizing just how many sections of the manuscript make no sense whatsoever in the flow of the story. My primary battles have involved the need to find the conflict (ironic, no?) and informing the audience of certain important facts, such as character nationalities, routines, et cetera. Writing and school were and are an easy combination, but I quickly found that revising and school are not as well matched. A hard lesson, but what else would keep me so pleasantly occupied during the short breaks between quarters? I am hoping to have a second draft within the next year or so, God willing. If you want a taste of my work, I’m on Instagram, where I have an author account (@audrey.the.author), and an artist account (@the.art.of.audrey); and on Facebook, my author page is called Yet We Sleep.

In life outside of my story worlds, I enjoy reading (I tend to gravitate towards Louisa May Alcott, Jane Austen, T.S. Eliot, Charles Dickens, E. Nesbit, Jules Verne, and a few select modern authors. I have an extensive reading list which never seems to get smaller.), poetry writing, music, swing dancing, creating art, cooking, phone photography, keeping the house tidy, and conversations, deep and otherwise, with my parents and brothers. School has stolen me away from my creative and social life a bit, but I am learning how to integrate the two with a bit more ease, if not grace.

I am so thankful I was introduced to this community, and I am excited to join a guild and journey with others who want to write with God’s will in mind!

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@audrey-the-author Hello! Welcome to Story Embers! How did you stumble across us? I checked out your art Instagram! You’re so good at drawing hands! Are you gonna join a guild?

"Though I'm not yet who I will be, I'm no longer who I was."

Bethel
    @trufflehunter

@audrey-the-author

Welcome to story embers, Audrey! Your art is amazing!

I too believe in the oxford comma. πŸ™‚ It is a good thing to have around.

T.S Eliot? Have you seen his cat poems?

Sometimes I fall so in love with the idea of Beauty.

J. Dekreel
    @dekreel

Welcome to Story Embers, @audrey-the-author! Hope you enjoy it here!

ENFP-T. Cartoonist, "half-writer", wolfish.
    Blog

TheClumsy_Lamplighter
    @theclumsy_lamplighter

@audrey-the-author hello!!!

and welcome! That is a very long and interesting bio. Congrats on your first draft! *throws confetti* how many brothers do you have?

also could you by any chance, make your art IG account a link? I wanna check it out but I don’t have IG so I can’t see it unless it’s s link…

I'm a Book person, caramel (most often paired with chocolate) lover and illustrating is my destiny.

Chelsea R.H.
    @seekjustice

@audrey-the-author

Hello there, fellow lover of the classics. Charles Dickens is undoubtedly my favourite out of the list you mentioned, with A Tale of Two Cities being my favourite of his novels.

I’m not really a fan of Jane Austen, but I’m currently reading Persuasion anyway.

And The Secret Garden is a masterpiece πŸ˜€

Welcome to Story Embers!

Mahalo keia huiΚ»ana

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@audrey-the-author Hey! Stoa! Cool! πŸ˜€

Welcome to Story Embers! I hope you enjoy it here. πŸ™‚

audrey.the.author
    @audrey-the-author

@the-fledgling-artist Thank you! My lovely friend pointed me to the introductory post in the series about writing tricky topics, and it was exactly what I needed to read. I am hoping to join a guild in the next acceptance cycle.

@trufflehunter
    Thank you! Agreed. I have not seen his cat poems, but I will look for them.

@dekreel
    Thank you!

@theclumsy_lamplighter
    Thank you!! I have two brothers. Absolutely. Here is my art profile: https://www.instagram.com/the.art.of.audrey/ and my author+poetry profile: https://www.instagram.com/audrey.the.author/

@seekjustice
    Thank you! I love A Tale of Two Cities as well, and Persuasion is one of my favorites! Agreed.

@evelyn
    Heyyyy! What events did you or do you enjoy? Thank you, I’m sure I will!

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@audrey-the-author Well, actually I have yet to compete. My older sister participated in NCFCA (I know… Stoa hates them… sorry, for bringing them up xD πŸ˜‰ ) but then my family just moved to an area where there’s a Stoa club, so we were going to join, but it’s too late. πŸ˜›

I have competed in other forensic things though and really enjoy it. πŸ™‚

Which events have you competed in? Which were your favorites? Any tips? πŸ˜‰

audrey.the.author
    @audrey-the-author

@evelyn Oh, I see. Well, for the record, I do not hate NCFCA. I think some people take “friendly rivalry” a liiiiittle bit too far.

Nice! I hope you can join the Stoa club next semester or next year.

I competed mostly in Interpretation (Dramatic, Open, Duo, Monologue (a wildcard)), with an Original Oratory on the side in my last year. All Interps were my favorites, but I think the best part of speech writing is the opportunity to craft a message for your audience. Speeches tend to need case-by-case advice, so my tip is to care. If you enter into competition with a teachable heart and a strong work ethic, you will learn no matter where you are on the scoreboard.

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@audrey-the-author Neat! πŸ™‚

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest