fb

Greetings! ✨

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Greetings! ✨

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Brian Stansell
    @obrian-of-the-surface-world

@karissa-chmil

Hi Karissa!

Welcome to the Story Embers Forums!  I think you are going to like it here.  This is a great group.  Always very helpful and enthusiastic, and if anyone is lacking in enthusiasm, perhaps we can borrow some of that “pixie dust magic” from Cathy (@this-is-not-an-alien) as she is such fun that it charms us all when she bounces in.
    You will find we may tease a little, but all in all, we are a very supportive group of creatives.
    Looking forward to hearing more from you!
    God Bless!

Brian Stansell (aka O'Brian of the Surface World)
    I was born in war.
    Fighting from my first breath.

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

XD Re-writes just drag on forever sometimes. . .
    Especially when half the plot runs off on it’s own sidequest and all the minor characters want to be MCs and then your MC keeps a ton of secrets from you and I WAS NOT EMOTIONALLY READY FOR HIS TRAUMATIC BACKSTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OR HOW HE “HANDLES” IT (“it” being a ton of plot twists and heart-crushing thematic plot points AND AND AND—*buries face in drawer of chaotic notes sobbing ink*

But how many re-writes have you been through? Have you ever been published?

How dare college be busy. XP And the link doesn’t seem to be working for me. .

Drat.

And drat.

Ok, lemmie see…maybeee this’ll finally work?? linkydoo *I’ve constantly been having trouble with sharing Word*

If it doesn’t work you wanna just share emails and I’ll email it to you as a pdf? I’m at fantasywriter2018@outlook.com 😊

Heheh, thanks! Glad my feeble attempts at an on-the-fly blurb worked. XD

Yeps!

Now when can I beta read?  🙂🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺🙂

My other WIP (unnamed at this point) is a cross between Robin Hood and Little Red Riding Hood set as a sci-fi. It features questions about trust, a crazy lot of parallel between those two stories, and maybe an exploding ship or two. 😜

Oooh, I like dis.

I am currently revising my first real novel that I wrote over winter, and am outlining the next book in the series. I won’t go into depth about its plot (I’m am quite terrible at book blurbs), but at its bare bones it’s a medieval action adventure novel with a healthy dose of mystery.

Brooooooooo *.*

@karissa-chmil
    , it’s about a small-time, snarky thief, Hugon, roped into double heist in the palace as he struggles with betrayal and abandonment issues.

*evil grinz* want me to send the beta copy since Camvirablahblah didn’t offer it?

but I can’t remember where I put them, and there’s no way I’m looking. xD

Oof, mood 😀 I feel attacked by this statement.

Oui! En faite, j’ai fait mes études de sixième et de cinqième en Savoie. 😀

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

*using my very very bad comprehension of Latin I never actually studied because I was busy doodling in the worksheets and the Spanish I only started a couple months ago…using this as my base for decoding I shall attempt :D*

Yes! And [no clue] [idk I think “you” in some conjugation] [“no clue” in a he-she-it conjugation?] my studies of six years and of [something or what] in Savoie

Due to my great deductive skills I say it means “I ate a cookie which I studied for six years in Savoie.” 😁

Or “Doom is impatient. And, in this story, doom came in the form of a gooey ghost.” (Don’t ask.)

You told him not to ask, not me. I’m asking, what the heck?

@irishcelticredflowercrown

I love all my characters too, though I have a soft spot for one of my characters, Lorcan. He’s an assassin, and is know for being this dark, snide, cold-hearted person, but on the inside he is a real gentleman lol

And a dramaqueen lol. He was funny!!

I think you are going to like it here.  This is a great group.  Always very helpful and enthusiastic, and if anyone is lacking in enthusiasm, perhaps we can borrow some of that “pixie dust magic” from Cathy (@this-is-not-an-alien) as she is such fun that it charms us all when she bounces in.

..Me?

*grins sheepishly turning beet red and ducking behind a table*

Well Mr Brian does fantastic voice acting, you should hear his audios!!! And he’s really funny and encouraging and wise.

To be a light to the world you must shine in the darkness.

Karissa Chmil
    @karissa-chmil

Thank you very much! I’ve definitely been enjoying it so far, and I can’t wait to get to know the community here even more! <3

What genres do you write in?

@this-is-not-an-alien

Especially when half the plot runs off on it’s own sidequest and all the minor characters want to be MCs and then your MC keeps a ton of secrets from you and I WAS NOT EMOTIONALLY READY FOR HIS TRAUMATIC BACKSTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OR HOW HE “HANDLES” IT (“it” being a ton of plot twists and heart-crushing thematic plot points AND AND AND—*buries face in drawer of chaotic notes sobbing ink*

*pats*

But how many re-writes have you been through? Have you ever been published?

Novel-length? Not many. XP Short stories. . . a ridiculous amount. And, no, I haven’t yet been published – you?

Ok, lemmie see…maybeee this’ll finally work?? linkydoo *I’ve constantly been having trouble with sharing Word*

OH HEY IT WORKED

Hallelujah.

Now when can I beta read?

*giggles* I’ll let you know when I reach that stage. XP

@karissa-chmil, it’s about a small-time, snarky thief, Hugon, roped into double heist in the palace as he struggles with betrayal and abandonment issues.

Ooh, that sounds awesome.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

*using my very very bad comprehension of Latin I never actually studied because I was busy doodling in the worksheets and the Spanish I only started a couple months ago…using this as my base for decoding I shall attempt :D*

Yes! And [no clue] [idk I think “you” in some conjugation] [“no clue” in a he-she-it conjugation?] my studies of six years and of [something or what] in Savoie

Due to my great deductive skills I say it means “I ate a cookie which I studied for six years in Savoie.”

*chokes* Ah. Not quite.

You told him not to ask, not me. I’m asking, what the heck?

*salutes* Officially telling you not to ask either. XP

Well Mr Brian does fantastic voice acting, you should hear his audios!!! And he’s really funny and encouraging and wise.

Ooh, voice acting.

"She walks in starlight in another world." - J. R. R. Tolkien

Brian Stansell

Hi Karissa (@karissa-chmil)

What genres do you write in?

I write fantasy, some sci-fi, but like to blend in suspense and a mix of biblical mysteries.

I have done a sort of [unpublished] adaptation of a fairy tale (a Russian fairy tale translated “Sister and Brother”).  I once saw a picture of their classical witch character called “Baba Yaga” who travels through the woods using a mortar and pestle [head scratching “WHY?”] and lives in a house with a foundation on chicken feet [WHAAAAAT?!].  So, I modified the story of that fairy tale to explain the how and why of that very odd condition.

My WIP is a fantasy, but it does involve some aspects of time extraction, and mystical portals into a reality that blends the physical and the supernatural where spiritual combat has a metaphysical aspect.  Each of the warring kingdoms in this Mid-World existence is representative of the worldviews that compete for the rulership of the human heart and mind.  Three virtue stones are at the heart of the conflict and each represents a stone quest that combined will set to liberate the Mid-World of its warring factions.  The thematic question behind the tale is: “Why do so many believers in Christ so often succumb to living a life that seems devoid of the power of their faith?  What does it mean, not only to have Christ be our savior but to allow Him to be Lord as well?”
    1 Corinthians 13:13 says:
    “Now these three remain: faith, hope, and love ​– ​but the greatest of these is love.”

I believe these 3 virtues, embraced and carried in obedience to Christ, by His empowerment, are what allow us to walk into our own worlds, demonstrating a life that shines before the world.  That Christ’s power is made perfect in our weakness and to the level of our surrender to His will above our own.

I was born in war.

Karissa Chmil
    @karissa-chmil

Ooh, that sounds awesome. Love that thematic question and how you worked in those three virtues.

Now for a slightly different question – why do you write?

"She walks in starlight in another world." - J. R. R. Tolkien

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@this-is-not-an-alien

Brooooooooo *.*

It’s about a small-time, snarky thief, Hugon, roped into double heist in the palace as he struggles with betrayal and abandonment issues.

Cathy, I’m not that bad at book blurbs. xD The book I was describing was my second novel that I finished a few weeks ago (not TTD). It’s quite hard to describe, but I’m working on a book blurb that will be slightly less tenebrous.

Anyways, keep having fun with college. If one gets into the motions, it’s not that bad. 🙂

Brian Stansell

Hi, Karissa (@karissa-chmil),

That is a great question:

why do you write?

The need arises within me to express in a story what I cannot just contemplate abstractly.  I need to see and feel concepts working out through peopled experiences with living and learning rather than just hearing what they say.  Writing stories is a meaningful way for me to make some sense out of our world through the vehicle of fiction.  It is very much an exploration for me, not only into how life works, but how my own outlook is fleshed out, and how it works against a backdrop of struggle and challenges.

I know the concepts, know many of the right words, and the “ought to’s” having been raised in a family of faith and as the son of a pastor, and by having a personal relationship with Jesus, however, I think there is something that connects us to God’s design and intentions for mankind through illustration in such a deeper way than just by issuing edicts.  Scripture uses so many images, types, and shadows to communicate God’s messages, leading up to His full-embodiment of His Living Truth through the incarnation of Christ Jesus.  I think that is why the Scriptures are so full of human stories, eclipsed by the Divine.  God intends our relationship to be personal and authentic with Him, and for that real relationship to become illustrative to the world at large and especially to our faith family.  Stories get behind the veneer of protective pretenses many of us use to make ourselves appear righteous in our own eyes.  Righteousness is not our doing, but God’s and by His definition.  We are like caterpillars waking up from our cocooned sleep, wrestling to get out of the brittle shell of the former representation of ourselves.
    I write because I have a wandering mind and I need stories to focus it.  (I read for the same reason.) I write because it is a form of reaching up to my Heavenly Father and saying, “Lord, what would you have me learn from this mess so that I can live an empowered life that is a testimony of what difference you make in my own experience.”
    Writing, for me, is a form of seeking the intentions of the Creator’s mind, who implanted this creative desire in me.
    What about you?  How do you see yourself in your own writing? Is there some burning personal question you are seeking the answer to and exploring through your writing?  Do you find your characters challenging your personal views?  Has your writing taught you something you didn’t know about yourself when you first started writing?

I was born in war.

Emma Walker
    @emma-walker

@karissa-chmil Heyyyy! I recognize your name, from Cdubs methinks?

"If your goal is purity in heart, be prepared to be thought very odd." -Elisabeth Elliott

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest