fb

Google Doc Trouble

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Google Doc Trouble

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Alabama Rose
    @bama-rose

Hello everyone!

I’m having so much trouble with google docs right now.

So, I shared my story with my friend on google docs so that she could read it and comment and edit and all that. I just had the settings on commenting and not directly editing.

So then she read it and put tons of comments on it and everything. Then I went through to look at them and change things, but I couldn’t see any of her comments!! After a series of events, we were stuck with the same document, she could see my comments but I couldn’t see hers.

I feel like we tried everything — messing with settings and different links — before I copied and pasted the entire thing onto a whole new doc. Now we can see eachothers comments, which is great. But I’m wondering, has this happened to anyone else? And is there a way for me to fix the old doc? Because she has lots of comments on there but I can see none. Although – on the old one- we could see eachother, and our cursors. Just not our comments.

So if anyone has any wisdom for me that’d be great!! I’m so bewildered right now.. haha 😝

Courage, dear heart ~ Aslan

Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

@bama-rose

I’m sorry. But, although I use Google Docs I have no idea what happened since it’s never happened to me.

Although I might be able to help you figure something out. Maybe.

So… first, what do you use Docs on? Computer? Ipad? Phone?

Second, one of your last statements, on your new Doc can you not see each other’s cursors?

"You can dance with my henchman."

Alabama Rose
    @bama-rose

@kari-karast

Hey! Yeah, I wasn’t sure if this had happened to anyone else, although I doubt it has.

And we can see each others cursors and everything, everything is working on the new doc. But the old one is still not working.

I use my laptop and she used her phone. Then when she got the new doc she switched to ipad and it worked. So she tried the phone again and it worked on the new one too. If that makes sense…

Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

@bama-rose

Hmmm. I use a computer so I’m not sure if using a phone made a difference at all. It’s possible that something got messed up in the code for that specific Doc.

Another question, Google Docs recently updated, was the first Doc made before the update and the second on after?

And another, did you share it with your friend or just send her the link?

Oh and yet another, do you have parental control settings or anything on for your Google account in general?

Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

@bama-rose

Oh. And is it possible that your friend never clicked ‘comment’ for the comments and they never posted?

Also. I was looking at the Docs I have. And in the top(tool bar?) if you click on ‘file’ then go down and click ‘make a copy’ there’s a choice for copying comments and suggestions there. Maybe that’d work?

Alabama Rose
    @bama-rose

@kari-karast

1. Yep, the first doc was before it was updated and the second was after. I thought of that too, but it seems weird that it would mess with the comments..

2. We tried both: sharing and the link. It still didn’t turn out.

3. No, I don’t have anything like that. And I’m pretty sure she (my friend) doesn’t either.

4. The thing is, she posted them and all her comments showed up for her and she can see them all, but I can see none.

5. Oohh great idea!! I never knew that was there! Thanks!

Thanks for taking the time and the interest in this. 🙂

Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

@bama-rose

I actually didn’t know either until I looked. XD

I’m glad to help!

Let me know whether or not the make a copy works!

Alabama Rose
    @bama-rose

@kari-karast

Will do!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest