Glad to be here!

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Glad to be here!

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Gabrielle Pollack 5 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Piperbee
    @piperbee

I’m Moriah, but my pen name is Piper Bee. Either is honestly fine, I get called both on the internet. I’m married, mom of three (E almost 5yo, S 3.5, and G 15 months), and I’m back in college, studying Japanese. My husband and I want to move to Japan as soon as we get an opportunity!

I’ve been writing for ten years, but I didn’t start to take it seriously until about a year ago. I have an 80k word novel written, the first in a fairytale series. This book is my baby! I also wrote a 60k word sci-fi (first draft) for NaNoWriMo last year, and I’m currently indulging “shiny story syndrome” and am 32k words (and about 5-10k more to go) into a summer romance novel. The last one I started a week and a half ago, and I’m starting to feel like I can actually churn out books. Since my first project is going on 11 years, it feels good to get a book out in a couple of weeks!

I have yet to publish anything, but that part I am trusting God with. He keeps telling me that His timing is best. My job is just to not give up. He has a plan! As for *my* plan, I want to publish my fairytale book this year, and so I’m building my audience and writing short stories in the same world.

I am glad I found Story Embers! I felt like the Christian world was lacking a little bit in the way of guiding Christian creatives. How should we write fiction? How do we create real characters with honest struggles, but not excuse sin? I’ve had a long journey figuring how what is “right” and “wrong” and coming to the conclusion that it’s not black and white. The main thing is honoring God!

I look forward to participating here!

Gabrielle Pollack
    @gabriellepollack

Welcome to the Story Embers forum! 😀 It sounds like you’re a pretty versatile writer. If you had to pick a favorite genre, which one would it be? What do you like to read?

Piperbee
    @piperbee

For reading and writing, I would definitely pick fantasy/YA. But I do feel like I prefer stories that have a good romance. When it comes to writing, I like to experiment. Right now I’m spending a lot of time on developing the world and the characters in my stories, so I just pick whatever genre fits after!

Briannajean
    @briannajean

Hi, PiperBee!

I an new here, too, and so much you have said sounds so much like me!

What are you planning to do in Japan?

Piperbee
    @piperbee

Hi!! I’m glad we have a lot in common 🙂 makes me very happy to be here!

My husband will be able to work in his field (technology/management), and hopefully the kids can go to a Japanese-speaking school (a private Christian school would be ideal!) and as for me, I don’t really know. I’d like to keep studying Japanese, and maybe earn a bachelor’s degree someday. But I will definitely keep writing! A lot of people ask “why Japan” but the only answer we can come up with is just that we like it there!

J.A.Penrose
    @j-a-penrose

*waves* Welcome to Story Embers @piperbee ! And yay! Always exciting to have another fantasy lover. Do you have a stand-out author?

Writer | Freelance editor
    Inspiration

Piperbee
    @piperbee

My favorite book is The Hobbit! I love Tolkein’s style and the way he thought about storycrafting! But I haven’t been able to get past the histories in LOTR 😬 I was inspired to write after reading Libba Bray’s Gemma Doyle series, and right now I’m enjoying Leigh Bardugo. But I’ve always had a hard time picking a “favorite.”

An aside: the author of my MC’s favorite books is named Penrose! Lol

S.F. Dekreel
    @dekreel

Welcome to Story Embers, @piperbee!! I seriously love your name. Piper is one of my favorite names.

Got a favorite book?

ENFP-T. Cartoonist, "half-writer", wolfish.
    Blog

Piperbee
    @piperbee

Thank you! The longer I sit with the name, more I’m glad I picked it. It’s started to feel like “me.” 🙂

My favorite book is The Hobbit, because I felt so transported reading it! But I think my favorite story is Pride & Prejudice. I can’t seem to get enough of Elizabeth and Darcy…

Gabrielle Pollack
    @gabriellepollack

@piperbee Fantasy is pretty cool. 😀 And cute romantic side plots are always fun to read. 😀

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Learn What Readers Want

We compiled and analyzed how 300+ readers answered 18 questions about what they want to see in fiction. Get the free e-book and we'll also regularly send you resources to help you grow as a writer.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest