fb

Giving critique in videos!

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Giving critique in videos!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

I need practice critiquing stories! I’d like to offer critique of short stories or first chapters, including including flow, structure, prose, style, theme, and “what I got out of it/where I think the story is going.” I’m offering for short YouTube videos including screen capture of the document being critiqued, with voiceover.

I’m not any kind of professional or educated editor, but I believe practice in this regard will help me improve. Also, video critiques will provide valuable resources for beginning writers who are looking to build the mental patterns necessary for improving themselves. Seeing commentary on the voices of a dozen different authors will help a new writer understand how to develop their own, and seeing repeated common corrections of issues will help them recognize these issues in their own work.

So I’m simultaneously asking a favor and offering free service. I’ll critique your stuff in what I plan to be a helpful manner (the people I have critiqued have generally found it helpful) and in exchange, you’ll offer some of your work for anyone in the world to read, and to grow from.

Looking for the following, from most to least desirable:

Opening chapters (with prologues, if applicable) – Around 3K word openings to novels. I’ll focus on hooks, pacing, and the promises you’re making to a reader, as well as general prose.

Short stories – 10K or shorter stories. I’ll focus on structure, characters, theme, and generally big-picture stuff, and less on prose.

Mid-work chapters – Chapters from anywhere in a story, with no surrounding context. Preferably ~3K words. I’ll focus on various components of prose.

Send the following to papa (at) taylorclogston (dot) com

– Name for attribution (or anonymous)
    – Name of submission (“Chapter X of [Title],” “Title,” etc.)
    – Submission word count
    – Genre
    – Areas you want me to focus on
    – Attached file of submission (any common format), or link to Google Doc

By submitting to this address, you confirm that the submission is your own work, and that you consent to the work in its submitted state being publicly displayed by me, on the internet, on any web site, including YouTube, Bitchute, and any other service I might use as a host. You are not giving me permission to use your work as my own in any capacity. You retain full intellectual property of any submitted work.

"...the one with whom he so sought to talk has already interceded for him." -The Master and Margarita

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

How many pieces are you willing to take from a given author? I have pieces I could send in for either of the first two categories (or the third, but I’d be less interested in sending those), if you’re willing to take two.

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. ENFP. Singer.

Thomas (CrØss_Bl₳de)
    @thewirelessblade

Do you know anything about Minecraft?

*Forum Signature here*

Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

@r-m-archer At the moment, I have nothing to work with, so I’d accept any number of things from a given person!

@thewirelessblade
    I played a bunch when it was in beta, and I’m vaguely familiar with how the lore’s developed (and of course there’s a wiki if I need to look stuff up). If you’re submitting MC fanfic, I’ll accept it.

"...the one with whom he so sought to talk has already interceded for him." -The Master and Margarita

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@taylorclogston Cool. I’ll send those over sometime today or tomorrow, then. 🙂

Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

@r-m-archer Excellent! Looking forward to seeing them :-}

Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

@r-m-archer Thanks so much for being my Guinea pig! A video on your story Salvation is up now: https://youtu.be/87a5-F1Yfnc

Stiiillll trying to figure out how to get the audio to not sound like garbage. It will improve with time. I’m working on your chapter submission also. Hopefully they will prove useful to some degree :-}

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

You’re welcome. Thank you for the critique! I’ll definitely work on applying some of your feedback. (And changing the word “droid.” I can’t believe that a simple word is copyrighted. A name I could understand, but it’s just a word. 😛 Mini-rant over.) You pointed out some really important issues, and I look forward to improving the story. 🙂

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@taylorclogston

WOW!! This is so cool! I would love to send you some stuff…but *cough* I don’t have anything that’s good enough for the public yet. 😉

I hope you get a lot of people to send you submissions…you did a great job with @r-m-archer’s story.

"But how could you live and have no story to tell?" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

@eden-anderson Thanks! Looking to seeing something from you some day :-} For today, we have a submission by @parker

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@taylorclogston

Looking to seeing something from you some day

Heh, heh! Might be awhile. 😛

I really like how you go through the story step by step and point out what’s wrong and why. And you aren’t afraid to just say it as it is…I really need that sort of helpful, un-biased criticism in my own writing. Keep up the good work.

@parker
    @r-m-archer

Good work to you guys on your stories!👍 I enjoyed listening to them. And way to go on being brave and sharing your work…that always scares me. 😉

Parker Hankins
    @parker

Thanks so much for the critique! I can’t wait to get started fixing it all up!

Living in a world of mystery and dangerous predicaments while working with the AWESOME Meraki's.

Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

I finally got to your chapter critique, @eden-anderson! Please forgive the corny read aloud, and thanks again for the submission :-}

My submissions have dried up. I’d love more submissions, or suggestions of other stuff to do videos on. I’m thinking maybe “first three pages” of classic or popular scifi, fantasy, and Christian fiction books, as well as maybe some short writing and editing topic videos. I dunno. I’d love suggestions :-}

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@taylorclogston

I think you meant @r-m-archer

But, seriously, that “hello, my beautiful children…” just kills me! 😆😆😆

Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

@eden-anderson You’re right XD I just had you on my clipboard. This is why it’s important to proofread, I guess.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.