fb

Getting Knocked in the Back of the Head by a Fire Extinguisher

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Getting Knocked in the Back of the Head by a Fire Extinguisher

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    A.N. Parker
    @bigideaskc

Hey there. LOL, I know it seems like I’m asking all these violent questions. 😛 But – humor me – what would happen if you got knocked in the back of the head by a fire extinguisher, with momentum (on purpose, of course)? One of the parts in my story has Chris Coleman, the main character, as he knocks one of the bad guys in the back of the head with a fire extinguisher. What would happen? Would the bad guy, Ruperts, get knocked unconscious? Would he still be conscious, but just hurting really bad?

I know vaguely that it would cause severe damage, but would would happen on the outside? Thanks! 😀

– Big Ideas KC

Grammar Geek | Steampunk Enthusiast | Published Author | Winged Warrior | Avatar by RedPhoenix15

Skye
    @skye

@bigideaskc, I can’t say for sure, as it’s never happened to me or anybody I know. Obviously, I think it would depend how hard of a hit it was (if Chris Coleman is seven years old, it’ll be less effective than if he’s basically a living action figure). But, that being said, if it was a good hard hit, it would at least seriously disorient Ruperts. I’ve seen a girl get a concussion before, and she was seriously out of it, although she didn’t black out. But that was a blow to the front of the head, and not an intentional smash.

On the outside, I’m fairly confident it would cut the head, and depending on the part of the head, would make it severely bleed.

So yeah… it would depend on how hard of a hit, but I think Rupert would probably stay conscious, just be very disoriented and probably bleeding.

Also, completely unrelated, but I like your signature 😉 

https://pilgrimwest.wordpress.com/
    https://thingsabove32.wordpress.com/

A.N. Parker
    @bigideaskc

So yeah… it would depend on how hard of a hit, but I think Rupert would probably stay conscious, just be very disoriented and probably bleeding.

Hey, @skye! Thanks so much for your input. That helps a lot. 😀

Also, completely unrelated, but I like your signature 😉

Haha! Thank you! I seem to get that a lot on multiple platforms, hehe… It’s from the movie, Mr. Magorium’s Wonder Emporium. 😀

Grammar Geek | Steampunk Enthusiast | Published Author | Winged Warrior | Avatar by RedPhoenix15

Skredder
    @skredder

@bigideaskc It would also depend on the guy that gets hit. Two people who get hit the exact same way will react differently. What can make one person knock out might only make someone else have a terrible headache. If he’s still conscious, he would definitely be having some visions problems. You have to be careful though, because a blow like that could kill the person. It could also put him in a coma. It really depends on the blow itself and on the person receiving the blow.

Samuel
    @samuel

I think it would probably crack their skull, at least a little bit. But an extinguisher is aluminum filled with compressed air, so it may even kill depending on how hard you hit. It would definitely draw blood. If Chris is a big guy and he’s swinging full force it would probably split his skull pretty bad.

No one reads these anyway

A.N. Parker
    @bigideaskc

It would also depend on the guy that gets hit. Two people who get hit the exact same way will react differently. What can make one person knock out might only make someone else have a terrible headache. If he’s still conscious, he would definitely be having some visions problems. You have to be careful though, because a blow like that could kill the person. It could also put him in a coma. It really depends on the blow itself and on the person receiving the blow.

Gotcha! Thanks so much for the helpful information, @skredder! 😀

I think it would probably crack their skull, at least a little bit. But an extinguisher is aluminum filled with compressed air, so it may even kill depending on how hard you hit. It would definitely draw blood. If Chris is a big guy and he’s swinging full force it would probably split his skull pretty bad.

Gotcha. Thanks so much, @samuel. Yeah, Chris isn’t huge like some Sumo wrestler, LOL, but he’s definitely an adult (in his thirties).

Thanks for your help, guys! 😀

A.N. Parker
    @bigideaskc

Yeah, Chris isn’t huge like some Sumo wrestler, LOL, but he’s definitely an adult (in his thirties).

This is Chris.

Steward of the Pen
    @steward-of-the-pen

@bigideaskc  Hmm…depending on how hard Ruperts was hit, he would probably at least lose consciousness, have a large egg on his head, and a whiplash injury to his neck. If hit hard enough, his skull might be fractured or his neck broken, which could paralyze or kill him. I know someone who had three skull fractures and was unconscious just from colliding with someone else’s head on a trampoline, so a fire extinguisher would probably do very severe damage. My mom is a doctor and she says that anyone who goes to the ER with the slightest injury to their head gets a CT scan of their head and x-rays of their neck to look for fractures and bleeding in their brain. So it doesn’t always take much!

I would definitely not want to be Ruperts in this scenario. 😛

Evelyn
    @evelyn

This is such a hilarious conversation. XD I agree with @steward-of-the-pen though… I wouldn’t want to be Ruperts!

A.N. Parker
    @bigideaskc

Hmm…depending on how hard Ruperts was hit, he would probably at least lose consciousness, have a large egg on his head, and a whiplash injury to his neck. If hit hard enough, his skull might be fractured or his neck broken, which could paralyze or kill him. I know someone who had three skull fractures and was unconscious just from colliding with someone else’s head on a trampoline, so a fire extinguisher would probably do very severe damage. My mom is a doctor and she says that anyone who goes to the ER with the slightest injury to their head gets a CT scan of their head and x-rays of their neck to look for fractures and bleeding in their brain. So it doesn’t always take much!

I would definitely not want to be Ruperts in this scenario. 😛

Oh, wow! How convenient that your mom is a doctor, hehe! Thanks so much for the helpful information, @steward-of-the-pen. Also, I don’t know if this helps, but Ruperts is a soldier, so he’s tough naturally. 🙂

This is such a hilarious conversation. XD I agree with @steward-of-the-pen though… I wouldn’t want to be Ruperts!

XD I know, right? I felt bad from asking all these violent questions. 😛 I wouldn’t want to be him either!

NCStokes
    @ncstokes

@bigideaskc I once got hit in the face with a metal water bottle… I remember feeling very out of it for a while afterwards. But that was a face (mine specifically 😛 ) and it was an accident, not an assault. But I would say the effects of being hit in the back of the head would last a while. Ruperts might be knocked unconscious, but he would also carry a lump or a while and probably have an incredible headache. Possibly a concussion?

*shameless self promotion* https://weridasusual.home.blog/

J.Parkhurst
    @j-parkhurst

I can’t speak to the medical side of things on this one, but as self-defense-by-extinguisher has come up in our worst-case-scenario planning for the classroom… blasting the bad guy with the chemical spray (in the face), and then going for a headshot with the bottle will theoretically disorient him for more than a few seconds.

https://historyheartandhats.wordpress.com/

A.N. Parker
    @bigideaskc

I once got hit in the face with a metal water bottle… I remember feeling very out of it for a while afterwards. But that was a face (mine specifically 😛 ) and it was an accident, not an assault. But I would say the effects of being hit in the back of the head would last a while. Ruperts might be knocked unconscious, but he would also carry a lump or a while and probably have an incredible headache. Possibly a concussion?

Gotcha, @ncstokes. Thanks for the tip! 😀

I can’t speak to the medical side of things on this one, but as self-defense-by-extinguisher has come up in our worst-case-scenario planning for the classroom… blasting the bad guy with the chemical spray (in the face), and then going for a headshot with the bottle will theoretically disorient him for more than a few seconds.

@j-parkhurst
    Gotcha! (I think I say “gotcha” too much on Story Embers… 😛 ) Anyway, yeah, Chris was trying to stalk up on Ruperts from the back, and Ruperts is a good fighter, so Chris had an advantage because Ruperts didn’t know Chris was coming. 🙂

Thanks so much for your help, guys!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by A.N. Parker.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest