fb

Genre Expectations

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Genre Expectations

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Catherine Roche
    @writercatherine

Hi everyone!

I’ve been working on improving my knowledge and consciousness of genre expectations, so I thought I’d pose the question:

What do you expect when reading a novel of a certain genre (particularly a Dystopia, but I’d be happy to have you answer about any)?

• This topic was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by Catherine Roche. Reason: Clarity

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam - For the greater glory of God
    Catholic, student, bookdragon

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

I’m not a great authority on genre expectations by a long shot, but here’s some stuff I’ve seen from my reading experiences. (And it’ll be a good exercise for me in identifying those things, I think. :P)

Dystopian expectations:

• There’s a crappy/oppressive/divisive government that leads with fear and makes the people feel like they can’t get out of the system
    • The MC doesn’t fit into the lines the government has made, some way or another
    • The MC either realizes the government needs to be taken down (possibly due to their not fitting into the parameters the government has set) or is dragged into a rebellion
    • The MC somehow ends up at the forefront of said rebellion (although I’d love to see a book in which that’s not the case)
    • The evil government is taken down
    • The MC is often a Strong Female Character (I’d love to see this one challenged, too)

Fantasy expectations:

• Some big evil individual or organization wants to take over/destroy the world
    • The MC is enlisted to defeat said individual or organization (could be a chosen one)
    • There’s generally magic
    • Dragons are always awesome
    • There’s often an old mentor figure
    • The MC often doesn’t feel capable to do the job
    • The MC often has a group of companions around him/her
    • The MC likely has dormant magical abilities that they had no clue existed and that they struggle to control throughout the book
    • The MC finally harnesses his/her powers just in time to defeat the Big Bad and everyone lives happily ever after

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. ENFP. Singer.

Catherine Roche
    @writercatherine

That’s useful, @r-m-archer. Thanks!

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@writercatherine Absolutely! I’m glad I could help. 🙂

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. ENFP. Singer.

Catherine Roche
    @writercatherine

Something I’ve concluded from recent research is that something readers of fantasy and science fiction expect and love is an original and unique world. They want it to be well-built and well-developed; they want to be immersed in the world. That’s something I’m definitely going to have to work on. What sets my world apart?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.