fb

Gamma Readers

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Gamma Readers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Snapper
    @snapper

Hey guys! ๐Ÿ˜€

I’m getting ready for the last one or two rounds of edits before I attempt querying!! Very exciting indeed. However, once I finish this round of edits, I’m going to want one more overview of the story, see if there was ANYTHING else I possibly could have looked over. This won’t be beta-reading. In fact, I’d prefer you binge-read it like you would any other novel then let me know what you thought at the end of the book.

Don’t bother with grammatical or sentence errors. I’ll hire an editor for that after your part. ๐Ÿ˜›

Is anyone interested? I would likely send it out as a Google Doc to select few, whoever it may be. If you can do it in a week or two, that would be ideal. And I should be read to send it out next week, but not immediately. I just wanted to give a heads up.

Here’s a brief description of the book // the elevator pitch I use everywhere:ย Ike, the son of a military architect, must destroy the very government he’d once dreamed of ruling while Zelaya, the daughter of a low-class worker, must repair the tears in the very government she hates.

Tagging some people who might be interested: @daeus-lamb @kate @josiah @morreafirebird @mariposa @rolena-hatfield @briannastorm @elizabeth @jane-maree And please tag along to other people around here too. I don’t know that many tags yet.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Snapper.

*melts chair*

@snapper it sounds amazing, but unfortunately I don’t have time. :'(

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Kate Flournoy.

INFP-A. If you can't be brilliant, odd will do.

Snapper
    @snapper

Oh great. It disappeared.

*melts chair*

Snapper
    @snapper

This is what I meant to say before it disappeared. ๐Ÿ˜›

Hey guys! ๐Ÿ˜€

I’m getting ready for the last one or two rounds of edits before I attempt querying!! Very exciting indeed. However, once I finish this round of edits, I’m going to want one more overview of the story, see if there was ANYTHING else I possibly could have looked over. This won’t be beta-reading. In fact, I’d prefer you binge-read it like you would any other novel then let me know what you thought at the end of the book.

Don’t bother with grammatical or sentence errors. I’ll hire an editor for that after your part. ๐Ÿ˜›

Is anyone interested? I would likely send it out as a Google Doc to select few, whoever it may be. If you can do it in a week or two, that would be ideal. And I should be read to send it out next week, but not immediately. I just wanted to give a heads up.

Here’s a brief description of the book // the elevator pitch I use everywhere:ย Ike, the son of a military architect, must destroy the very government he’d once dreamed of ruling while Zelaya, the daughter of a low-class worker, must repair the tears in the very government she hates.

Basic info:

95,000 – 100,000 we’ll see once I finish these edits. ๐Ÿ˜›

Shared Google Doc

1 – 2 weeks to read ??? (Let us negotiate)

Tagging some people who might be interested: @daeus-lamb @kate @josiah @morreafirebird @mariposa @rolena-hatfield @briannastorm @elizabeth @jane-maree And please tag along to other people around here too. I don’t know that many tags yet.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Snapper.

*melts chair*

Snapper
    @snapper

@kate *nods* No problemo! ๐Ÿ˜€ BTW I love that pic of you. So pretty. <3

*melts chair*

@snapper lol. Thanks. I like it; cameras and my face don’t usually get along. ;P Let me know how the querying goes!

INFP-A. If you can't be brilliant, odd will do.

Elizabeth
    @elizabeth

I’m in!! Gimme.

Seems like we’ve got a case of the vanishing posts here…

INTP. Writer of fantasy and sci-fi. Wannabe artist. Anime geek. Merakian.

Daeus Lamb
    @daeus-lamb

@snapper Your post went to spam, so that’s why it disappeared. Fixed now.

I also regret to say I’m just really busy at the moment, but this is something I could almost do, so don’t ever hesitate to tag me if you need some critique. I don’t have much time, but I do have just a little now and then.

๐Ÿ˜€
    ๐Ÿ‘•๐Ÿ‘
    ๐Ÿ‘– ๐Ÿข๐Ÿข๐Ÿข๐Ÿข๐Ÿข

Zachary Holbrook
    @toklaham-veruzia

That premise sounds wonderful! I would like to read it.

ใŠใฏใ„ใ‚ˆใ†. ๆ—ฅๆœฌ่ชžใฏๅฅฝใใงใ™ .

K.M. Small
    @morreafirebird

@snapper ooooooooh ๐Ÿ˜€ I really, really,ย  reallllly want to read this. Unfortunately, I’m already critiquing 3 novels, so I probably won’t be able to help ๐Ÿ™ However, if you ever want a brainstorming buddy or need more readers in the future, I’d love to help ๐Ÿ™‚ Good luck with querying!

~ Khylie
    "Beauty will save the world." - Dostoevsky

Snapper
    @snapper

@elizabeth (your tag is so much easier over here. ๐Ÿ˜› ) @toklaham-veruzia Awesome! I should be able to get it to you within a week or so. ๐Ÿ˜€

@daeus-lamb
    Ah, spam. Why do my posts always do that? ๐Ÿ˜‰ I’ll be sure to let you know if in the future. I’ll likely need it for the next few books. ๐Ÿ˜ That is, if time permits either of us.

@audrey-caylin Woah, 3 novels? That’s impressive. Thanks though!

*melts chair*

Brianna Storm Hilvety
    @briannastorm

Hey, @snapper. Congratulations on being so close to finishing your book! ๐Ÿ˜€ Unfortunately, my schedule is pretty full between helping to run Story Embers and editing for clients. I donโ€™t even have much time to read for pleasure, which is tragic. ๐Ÿ˜ญ But I hope you recruit some people and that the querying goes well!

Jane Maree
    @jane-maree

@Snapper I’d love to help out, but I must decline. I’ve got several clients booked to edit already, so I can’t make any other commitments. (Looks like Brianna and I are in the same boat >.<)

Writing Heroes โ™ฆ Writing Hope // janemareeauthor.com.au

Snapper
    @snapper

@briannastorm @jane-maree … That’s terrible. No free reading time! *melts all the clients chairs* ๐Ÿ˜›

Anyway, because you all are editors — do you know how much time in advance I should ‘query’ an editor to edit my book? And what’s usually the price?

*melts chair*

Brianna Storm Hilvety
    @briannastorm

@snapper

The fee an editor will charge depends upon whether the service you need is a proofread or a line edit/copyedit. A proofreader corrects typos and grammar/spelling/punctuation errors only. A line editor fixes some mistakes, as well as polishes your sentences, suggests stronger word choices, flags inconsistencies, and tightens the text. Rates vary widely, and some editors charge per word (like me) while others charge per hour. But a qualified professional editor will usually charge in the ballpark of $15+ an hour (or $0.006+ per word) for a proofread and $25+ an hour (or $0.01+ per word) for a line edit/copyedit. Hereโ€™s a chart that lists the common rates for editing services: https://www.the-efa.org/rates/

How far in advance you need to query depends upon the editorโ€™s schedule and how in-demand they are. Editors can be booked anywhere from two weeks to three months out.

A couple tips for when youโ€™re evaluating an editor:

1. Pay attention to their experience level. Have they received any formal training? Have they been editing for at least two years? Are they familiar with the industry-standard style guides (The Chicago Manual of Style, 17th edition and The Christian Writerโ€™s Manual of Style, 4th edition)? Have they worked with publishers? Are they part of a professional editorsโ€™ organization (like The Christian PEN or Editorial Freelancers Association)? If the answer is no to all or most of those questions, Iโ€™d recommend searching elsewhere.
    2. If youโ€™re wanting a line edit, request a sample edit of your bookโ€™s first couple pages to see whether the editorโ€™s style is a good fit for you. Many editors offer a free sample edit (I do) to people who are interested in hiring them. Editors, like writers, have unique voices and personalities, so you need to make sure their stylistic changes and manner of communicating suit what youโ€™re looking for, because youโ€™re going to be a team. ๐Ÿ™‚

I hope thatโ€™s helpful!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest