Fresh Poems!

Forums Poetry Poetry Discussions Fresh Poems!

This topic contains 97 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Evelyn 13 hours, 32 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 98 total)
  • Author

Emma Starr
    @emma-starr

@lianajdouglas Oh my goodness, yes! I actually struggle to write fiction, but poetry just…comes! (Not that it isn’t hard though haha)

Spreading God's love until I can see seven billion smiles. 🙂

https://sevenbillionsmiles.home.blog/

Liana J. Douglas
    @lianajdouglas

XD I can write both well, but my writing changes dramatically between the two styles. Poetry is so much more free-flowing, while my fiction writing tends to be more suspenseful and action-packed. (;

ENTJ. Artist. Actress. Fantasy Fiction. MBTI Nerd. Star Wars. Marvel Films. Piano. Jesus Freak.

Michaela
    @mgtask

@evelyn Aww thanks! I’ll play around with that line.

E. Veryone
      @e_elaine_soup5

I’ve been writing poetry for a pretty long time, but it’s just been like little gagging rhyming couplets or something, nothing really serious. I’ve been getting back into the poetry game recently (I have a thread of daily poetry if you like my style) and it really flows out of me. It might not be good, it might just have ear or sight or slant rhymes, and it might not have iambic pentameter, but hey, free verse is great

I wrote this one on Sunday (hasn’t gone through any editing) ((I also know Emma Starr saw it 🙂 ))

The Gold Will Fall

One day, in time

The gold will fall

From the sky

Dripping onto roses,

Making them auric

Slipping to the ground,

Gilding the roads,

then blinding the people

One day, on hand

The gold will fall

From a man

Clinking and rolling

Off and down,

Greedy hands awaiting

One day, without care

The gold will fall

From her hair

The color leaks and fades

But the same woman stays

Strong and wise

One day, by the claw

The gold will fall

From the straw

Falling, dying

In the shivering winds

The yellow oceans

Shall wither and die,

Never to begin again

characters are like geodes: you must break them to see what they're made of

Evelyn
      @evelyn

@e_elaine_soup5 I really like it! May I ask what the inspiration behind it was?

E. Veryone
      @e_elaine_soup5

Oh, that was the best inspiration I’ve ever had

so, I talk to my old English teacher a lot to help her set up for classes beforehand and all, and she was looking for a little table she has in lieu of a podium or desk. There had been a teacher appreciation event the day before in the room, so there were still decorations up and gold paper strewn about, and we found her little table cover the table.

Now, I’m reading Shakespeare in my other English class and she joked “To keep the gold or leave the gold, that is the question.”

and I responded “The gold will fall” and took the gold paper off and put it on the piano in the classroom, immediately writing the phrase down.

and thus my most favorite brainchild was born.

Evelyn
      @evelyn

Wow that’s neat! I love hearing about peoples’ inspiration stories. 😋

E. Veryone
      @e_elaine_soup5

Its one of the more silly ones 🙂

Eden Joy Brown
      @eden-joy

Wow, I love everyone’s poetry!

Emma Starr
      @emma-starr

@e_elaine_soup5  I love the…flavor of the words (if that means anything!) and the tactile feel that you get from the words like “shivering,” “wither,” “leaks,” and “clinking.”

Libby
      @libby

@h-jones Ugh, I don’t know why I didn’t see your poem “Trust” on AP before, but it’s so beautiful!  Thank you, thank you so much for sharing that with us.  <3

Goodness, it’s been a while since I’ve been on here–here’s a little something I wrote.  Tried to get it published, but didn’t work out.  All the same, it’s my prayer and I couldn’t think of changing its message.  Please, feedback is welcome <3 @emma-starr @evelyn @dakota @k-a-grey @kb-writer And Heather (or Grace ;)) I’ve already tagged you <3

"Young people, you must pray, for your passions are strong and your wisdom is little."C.H.Spurgeon

E. Veryone
      @e_elaine_soup5

The table is full

Arms are open and welcoming

Wine fills glasses and bread towers above

He takes a glass,

The liquid swirls lazily.

The glass lifts,

Stunned silence.

Bread hefted up, above the rest

The silent tearing

The hypnotized stares

“Take this wine, it is my blood”

“Take this bread, it is my body”

Emma Starr
      @emma-starr

@e_elaine_soup5 I really like your poem! The lines I liked most were, “He takes a glass,/The liquid swirls lazily.”

graceabounds2129
      @graceabounds2129

Hey, everyone! I’m not sure I’ve ever posted on a poetry thread before, but I’ve been randomly writing poems this year and thought I’d come over to discuss with the people who are more experienced than I 🙂

First question: how does one go about editing poetry, especially when you aren’t using a particular form?

Second: Just looking for some feedback on a poem I’ve written recently (chosen at random), as I am considering the possibility of submitting on Story Embers this year.

Note: I wrote this about a month ago… the only edit it has undergone was to ensure each stanza had the same number of lines. Thanks in advance to all willing to help out 🙂

I have never thought of

Writing

As a sort of music,

Lyrics to the tune of the heart.

Your fingers may

Glide

Across the keys,

The same as a pianist.

The words may simply

Flow

The same way music

Escapes from one’s breath.

I live and breath

Words

As some live and breath

Rhythm and arpeggios.

What if we all created

As breathlessly as musicians?

-Lindsey
      2 Corinthians 12:9

Emma Starr
      @emma-starr

@graceabounds2129  I LOVE YOUR POEM, GIRL! When you finish editing it, please tag me! When it’s finished, I would love to print it out and put it on my poetry wall. <3

For how I edit poetry…I generally draft out my poem longhand and get out everything in my head–all the ideas and the vibes and all that. After that, I take a break for a day or two, then come back fresh and look at the poem. I read it carefully and make little longhand edits with question marks. This is usually like,” another phrase here?” or “better word?” or whatever I want to replace. I don’t actually change it yet though. No erasing! I take another break and come back the next day. Then I type it out on my computer and put it in Hoefler Text (my favorite poetry font). That helps me see any irregularity in the stanzas and just shows me other flaws that I may not have seen before. I look at my edits form the day before and add the ones I still like. I print the poem out, leave it for a few days, longhand edit, leave it, type, longhand edit, leave it, etc. until I am happy with it.

Some things I like to look for in free-verse: self-indulgent showing (writing what you want to write and confusing the reader–especially in beginning stanzas), lack of color and imagery, lack of metaphors, overly flowery lines, blunt and unoriginal lines, saying something just because it sounds good, structural irregularity (not always, but within stanzas at least), and, of course, accidental cliche phrases.

That’s just what works best for my creative process! My one rule is to never erase anything without leaving the edit for a day and coming back. That way, I never erase a beautiful brainchild in a fit of despair. ;P

I hope this helps!

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 98 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Learn What Readers Want

We compiled and analyzed how 300+ readers answered 18 questions about what they want to see in fiction. Get the free e-book and we'll also regularly send you resources to help you grow as a writer.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest