Fresh Poems!

Forums Poetry Poetry Discussions Fresh Poems!

This topic contains 97 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Evelyn 12 hours, 43 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 98 total)
  • Author

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@k-a-grey Neat! 🙂

Libby
    @libby

@k-a-grey That is a beautiful picture! 😀 Love it.  And the poem that you wrote is very lovely and true.  I really like it’s simplicity and message. 🙂

@evelyn Island of the World?  Is it a good book?  Would you suggest me to read it?

And thank you both! 🙂

I keep writing poetry, tell me if it bugs you please.  Here’s another thing I thought up today.  Haven’t really had the concentration to work on a strictly rhythmic and rhyming poem.

"Young people, you must pray, for your passions are strong and your wisdom is little."C.H.Spurgeon

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@libby I’m not sure how to answer a question like that… I can say that I have never been so moved, or changed, by a book in my life.

It has a tiny bit language in it, and lots of violence. If you are willing to take that on, I would fully recommend it. 🙂

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@libby If you want me to explain/describe it further, I can. xD

Grace Carter
    @h-jones

Oh my word, all of your poems are breath-taking…

@kb-writer Flurries was amazing. And “Oh, Lord…” oh my word. I don’t even know how to express how beautiful that was.

@evelyn Sealess. Oh my. I can’t even. That is astounding, so much meaning packed into such few words, I just can’t.

—Cartographer of Life’s Wandering Ways.
    Also, secretly Hedgehog Jones. Don’t tell anyone.

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@h-jones Thanks. 🙂

K. A. Grey
    @k-a-grey

@libby  I could never get tired of reading your poetry, so don’t stop!

Keep expressing yourself, because you do it in such a beautiful way.  Remember that it’s what David did in Psalms.  His cries and prayers to God still touch millions of people today.   (I’ll keep praying for you.  🙂 )

"Atticus, he was real nice. . . .”
      “Most people are, Scout, when you finally see them.”

Evelyn
      @evelyn

Here is another piece I wrote two nights ago, though I’m not sure what to call it yet. 😛

🙂

“Oh shame!” cries the birds on high,
      That dive down from their lofty sky,
      “Oh shame that man was not made to fly.”
      The poet sees them laugh and jeer,
      And calls for them to hear,
      “Man may not sprout wings, my friend,”
      “But their hearts were made to soar.”

Evelyn
      @evelyn

Also, does anyone know the rules of punctuation for dialogue in poetry? If it’s the same person speaking, do you still add quotations at the beginning of each line?

@libby @k-a-grey @h-jones

K. A. Grey
      @k-a-grey

@evelyn  I think you don’t have to have quotation marks at the beginning of each line as long as it’s the same person.  Just make sure you have them when the person begins speaking, and then again when he finishes.  If the monologue takes up a few paragraphs, you can begin each paragraph with quotation marks but not end with them until he finishes speaking. I hope this was helpful and not confusing. XD

Nice poem, by the way.

Evelyn
        @evelyn

@k-a-grey Okay, thank you!

Grace Carter
        @h-jones

@evelyn Ah, I’m sorry that I didn’t answer sooner! As far as quotation marks go, I think that putting a quotation mark at the end of the line, and then another at the beginning of the next line, almost makes it seem like another person is talking. (I didn’t get that at all and I knew what you meant by context, but I’m going on what little I know of grammar. :))

I.e.,
        “Man may not sprout wings, my friend,
        But their hearts were made to soar.”

Notice the bold spots if possible. They’re kinda hard to see. xDDDD

I think it’d make more grammatical sense if you left off the ending quotation on the second last line. I.e.,

“Man may not sprout wings, my friend,
        “But their hearts were made to soar.”

Implying that it is the same person speaking, but also having a quotation mark at the beginning of the next line. Which I’m pretty sure is some sort of grammar rule. I could totally be wrong though, and you can very much ignore all of my advice. I’m not an English teacher. 8D

ALSO! Your poem is SUPER AWESOME! I loved it. (: You are quite the gifted poet.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by  Grace Carter.
        • This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by  Grace Carter. Reason: FORGOT TO SAY HOW AWESOME THE POEM WAAASSSS

Grace Carter
        @h-jones

@evelyn @k-a-grey @libby @kb-writer What do y’all think of this poem? I feel like there’s something missing from it, but I don’t know what. Perhaps a solid ending, more metaphorical connections, I don’t know.

an afternoon betwixt [outside?] the walls,
        a fleeting taste of stolen flight;
        the moon cascading through the falls
        as i take silent through the night.

the broken-down, decaying bricks
        and ivies floating ’round like stars
        can play on minds more mystic tricks
        than liquids from the pubs or bars.

[do I even need that stanza? ^ maybe I should replace it with something different; it seems out of place]

o rain! i pray, fall down on me
        and hide my tears among your drops,
        e’er twinkling through the lowest tree,
        please drip – and drip – and never stop.

i wonder if the kind of faith
        it takes for you to fall so free
        will save me from myself, a wraith
        of everything i used to be.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by  Grace Carter.

Evelyn
        @evelyn

@h-jones *gasps* I love your poem. 😀

And thanks for the help!

K. A. Grey
        @k-a-grey

@h-jones  That is so beautiful.  I like the way you left out the capitalization;  it’s always neat to be able to create something beyond the limits of English grammar.  One thing I noticed was slightly incongruous was how it started as an “afternoon betwixt the walls”  and suddenly became the “moon cascading… through the night.”  As for the second stanza, at first I thought the last line seemed a little out of place, but reading the whole thing, it kinda ties in with” a wraith of everything i used to be.”

Overall, great job!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 98 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Learn What Readers Want

We compiled and analyzed how 300+ readers answered 18 questions about what they want to see in fiction. Get the free e-book and we'll also regularly send you resources to help you grow as a writer.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest