For Those of OUY…

Forums Poetry Poetry Discussions For Those of OUY…

This topic contains 12 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  William Norfleet 18 hours, 37 minutes ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

William Norfleet
    @w-o-holmes

This is for those of you who write poetry. Don’t you think this should be a word: whe? Sorry. Off-topic.

Anyway, do you ever read one poet’s poetry then start writing poetry in the form/style that they did?

"Eistret an guol nuurdor ank dohk remna lathlrao."- Uondon of Andim

Evelyn
    @evelyn

What does “OUY” mean..?

And yes, I find that sometimes I do. Especially in the past couple years. This year I have been working very intentionally on poetry and learning more about it and writing it more and I think have begun to find my voice. Or at least for this season of my life. I find it changes as I change.

You?

NCStokes
    @ncstokes

*slides in on my knees* I don’t write poetry, but I do occasionally write lyrics. Same thing? Maybe not? I just wanted to say I don’t normally enjoy reading poetry, but I love @evelyn‘s so much.

*shameless self promotion* https://weridasusual.home.blog/

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@ncstokes Oh my goodness, really? *blushes* O.o

I try. XD

But wait… you write song lyrics?? How have I not known this! And yes I think this question applies to songwriting.

NCStokes
    @ncstokes

@evelyn I do! I even try setting them to music sometimes. It’s good fun.

William Norfleet
    @w-o-holmes

@evelyn

Yep, it’s you. Right now, I’m going for the Whitman touch. I recently began the beginnings of a poem on the beginning of Autumn. Because Autumn has just begun. It’s going pretty well. I might put it up here or somewhere sometime for critique. You ever read Whitman? (If so, I would advise only some of his works. Others aren’t so well done).

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@ncstokes Sounds like fun! What type of songs do you like to write? How do you get inspiration for them?

@w-o-holmes Autumn hasn’t quite started for me yet but that sounds lovely. I am pretty sure I have read some Whitman in one of my collections. What of his poems would you suggest?

William Norfleet
    @w-o-holmes

@evelyn

Well, I like Shut Not Your Doors, Autumn Rivulets, and The Ship Starting among other various pieces. I like the way he flows in and out in a broken yet continuous motion. His main technique, I think, is his use of longer words, and though they are sometimes unrecognizable, they really fit with the rhythmic tune of it all.

You are at the endings of Summer, I understand?

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@w-o-holmes I’m pretty sure I have read Shut Not Your Doors, but I’ll have to check out the other ones. The use of long words in poetry is definitely something I appreciate/envy and am trying to work on. 😛

Yes, ending of summer I suppose. Last week it was still blistering hot and humid but this week is actually quite pleasant outdoors. And the very tips of one of our trees is a bit yellow-tinted. (:

William Norfleet
    @w-o-holmes

@evelyn

Yea, I like the way it floats off the tongue. SNyD; the one of libraries, right? Same here.

Nice; I just got the first good rain this morning. Woke up to it. It was great. You ever heard of the word petrichor? It’s one of my favourite. It means the feeling you get when you betake your nose to the smell of rain after it has rained. Something like this…

NCStokes
    @ncstokes

@evelyn What ever style of music I’m listening to is usually what I write. My most recent one is weirdly reminiscent of a long song, which is strange for someone who never listens to romance-y music, but oh well. *shrug* I often get inspiration from thinking of a song title and then trying to figure out what it could possibly mean. xD

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@w-o-holmes petrichor? No I had never heard of that, but I love it!

@ncstokes XD I see lol.

William Norfleet
    @w-o-holmes

@evelyn

Yeah. There’s also chrysalism. I learned that from @kate

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Learn What Readers Want

We compiled and analyzed how 300+ readers answered 18 questions about what they want to see in fiction. Get the free e-book and we'll also regularly send you resources to help you grow as a writer.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest