For NARNIA and for ASLAN!

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself For NARNIA and for ASLAN!

This topic contains 27 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  The Golden Light 6 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author

Mariposa Aristeo
    @mariposa

@the-golden-light People are my favorite things to draw too. 😊 I also enjoy drawing dinosaurs and Disney fan art. For painting, I prefer landscapes (particularly tropical beaches). What kind of paint do you like to use? I use acrylic.

The Golden Light
    @the-golden-light

@mariposa Hi! Oh cool! Those do sound like fun things to draw! I haven’t painted much (I need to more) but I think I like to draw landscapes the best too (I’m not sure what scenes), that and weird little objects (like a sword slicing into an apple, I call it dramatic apple cutting). I use acrylics too! 😀

If I get a little better at drawing/painting, I’m hoping to illustrate my books, I think.

I am not weird, I'm limited edition. ENFP

Coralie
    @corkybookworm

@the-golden-light Oh, gosh, you have stumbled upon a subject for which I have enthusiastic passion. XD I could recommend books until your ears fell off. However, if there’s a particular genre you’re interested in, I’m your girl!

I’m particularly very fond of fairy tales, fantasies, YA, mysteries, and dabble a little in historical fiction when I’m in the mood. I’ve also been reading a lot of non-fiction lately, something I never dreamed I’d enjoy as a kid. I’ve found that the saying “if you don’t like reading, you just haven’t found the right book yet” totally applies to non-fiction! I’ve been reading a lot of personal development as well as some books about people and events that interest me and that cultivated a healthy appreciation for non-fiction. That said, fiction is where my heart is!

Some classics, that are my favorites include: Ella Enchanted, and The Two Princesses of Bamarre both by Gail Carson Levine. Shannon Hale’s The Books of Bayern, starting with The Goose Girl. Almost anything by those two authors and Margaret Peterson Haddix are just phenomenal. Hmm…Eragon was excellent. The Song of the Sparrow by Lisa Ann Sandell is one of my favorites too! Terri Blackstock writes amazing mysteries and suspense novels; my favorite of hers are the Restoration Novels, which begin with Last Light. I’m completely hooked on Melanie Cellier’s Four Kingdom Books. She’s an independent author from Australia that I just learned about. I’ve read all of her books now. The first one was The Princess Companion. Oh! And let’s not forget the amazing Melanie Dickerson! Start with The Healer’s Apprentice. Lois Lowry’s The Giver is classic! And I actually really, really liked her book, Gossamer too. The Ascendance Trilogy by Jennifer A. Nielsen was awesome. Ooh, Scott Westerfeld’s Uglies was pretty good too. I din’t care for book 2, but the third one was good and the fourth one was pretty good too. Gosh…and I just meant to name a few XD See what happens?!

Hah, so if I haven’t scared you away yet, and you’re ever in need of a good read, ask away! I’ve got plenty more, especially of the fairy tales and indie authors. 😉

GraceBought
    https://gracebought.wordpress.com/

The Golden Light
    @the-golden-light

@corkybookworm Hazah!!! No you did not scare me at all! Thank you! I shall check them out!

I have seen Ella Enchanted and Eragon as movies (I didn’t know Ella Enchanted was a book!) and I really, really like the Ascendance trilogy! 😀

Thank you again!!! Medieval/adventure is my favorite genre I think, but then again, I need to do a lot more reading before I can be specific. So all of your suggestions helps!

Coralie
    @corkybookworm

@the-golden-light *gasp!!* Two of the worst book-movie adaptations in the history of book-movie adaptations! 😉 Hahahaha! No, to be fair, I own both of the movies. I have learned to compartmentalize. The movies are completely separate entities in my mind. In Ella Enchanted, they made the whole thing a spoof, a joke. It had some great music in it, some funny moments, some cute moments, etc. But it was absolutely nothing like the book. They created characters, took out characters, altered characters, and based a large chunk of the plot all on one idea that was a single paragraph in the book. She was never…well…I won’t spoil. I would just HIGHLY recommend your read the book. It is certainly on of my very, very favorites.

Ah! If you like the Medieval era, check out Melanie Dickerson for sure. Her best books are the Hagenheim books (start with The Healer’s Apprentice), but she also has a trilogy, which starts with The Huntress of Thornbeck Forest, which was Medieval and very good. Both of those series are fairy tale retelling, but she always has an element of suspense and intrigue thrown in. They’re Christian retellings too, so they’re definitely clean. Hmm, Waterfall by Lisa Tawn Bergren was also really good. It was a time traveling kind of story where two sisters get stuck in fourteenth-century Italy.

GraceBought

The Golden Light
    @the-golden-light

@corkybookworm Hahaha! That’s hilarious! Now I am really interested in Ella Enchanted! Aw man, almost got a spoiler. (I like spoilers, for some reason, haha!) 😀

Alrighty, I’d better look into those! Time travel also sounds fun! I’ve watched Doctor Who and kinda wondered what a book about time travel would be like. I started writing a short story on time travel-ish, kinda, because I wanted to make it super confusing for… fun. Ha.

THANKS!!!!!!!

Coralie
    @corkybookworm

@the-golden-light You’re absolutely welcome! Anytime!

Ooh! That sounds wonderful! Yeah, the Waterfall books (I’ve read the first two, but own book 3 and intend to finish the trilogy very soon!) weren’t really focused on time travel, but it was an element. I’m definitely a fan of Doctor Who! Well…I haven’t watched anything since the middle of season seven cause I really didn’t like the new guy, and apparently there’s a girl now?!

GraceBought

The Golden Light
    @the-golden-light

@corkybookworm Yay! Who is your favorite Doctor? I like 10 and maybe 11 is my favorite. 😀 I… yeah. I watched some of 12 and then stopped when he got a new companion. I do not know what to think about the new Doctor. I don’t think I am happy about it.

Warden
    @nuetrobolt

@the-golden-light, a great series on time travel is Outlaws of Time, by N.D. Wilson. I highly recommend you read it.

I'm Throne Warden of Emberia or Nuetrobolt. I write with my tiny dragon, Vip.

Coralie
    @corkybookworm

@the-golden-light Yeah, it just kinda seemed to lose it’s fun elements and when something isn’t fun anymore…*shrug* It didn’t really seem worth it to me anymore. Hmm…I do like 10 and 11 a lot. Rose was my favorite companion, and I really liked the whole Melody Pond deal. Amy wasn’t my favorite, but I liked Matt Smith a lot. I guess it’s kind of a toss up for me. I liked David Tennant cause he did a great job! And I liked the plots and companions he had, but Matt Smith definitely grew on me. If I had to just pick one…eep!…*dies inside a little* I’d probably go with David. I did like 9, but that was kind of my introduction to Doctor Who. Blink was my first episode, then I went and started with 9 and watched them all up to the Scottish grumpy guy. About halfway through his season with Clara, I dropped out.

@nuetrobolt Ooh! Ima write that down!

GraceBought

Mariposa Aristeo
    @mariposa

@the-golden-light You plan to illustrate your books! That’s awesome! 😃 It’s my ambition to be an author/illustrator myself. 😊

Fairfay
    @fairfay

@the-golden-light I found you muahaha!!! 🙂 Such a good writer and I can’t wait until you finish your book!

• This reply was modified 6 months ago by  Fairfay.

Average dragon shifter

The Golden Light
    @the-golden-light

Haha! Woah you did find me! 😀

@fairfay Aw thanks!!! I should work on that tomorrow actually… yeah. 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Learn What Readers Want

We compiled and analyzed how 300+ readers answered 18 questions about what they want to see in fiction. Get the free e-book and we'll also regularly send you resources to help you grow as a writer.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest