For All The Historical Fictioners

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions For All The Historical Fictioners

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 434 total)
  • Author
    Chelsea R.H.
    @seekjustice

@libby

Those quotes are really cool! I’ve always loved that one by Jim Elliot.

And yes, definitely try and read War Horse. Michael Morpurgo has a lot of worthwhile books and one of my other favourites is The Elephant in the Garden. That’s a brilliant book, its written for children but I believe it can be enjoyed by everyone.

@scarletimmortalized

Hello there! I was wandering what had happened to you.

Mahalo keia huiʻana

Selah CJW
    @selah-chelyah

@scarletimmortalized  Hey, hey, look who arrived from Meraki!! 🙂 You, I, and (soon to be added) Ariel Ashira (my sister) are the only his-fic genre writers in Meraki, I think. That makes us extra special… best guild, best genre! 🙂

Seriously, glad you are here! Do you have some favorite quotes?

Assistant Guildmaster of the Phantom Awesome Meraki
    ~ Created to create ~

WisdomOfProse
    @wisdomofprose

Hello Everyone! I’ve been intending to answer the thread for the last two days, but couldn’t get to it!

@seekjustice

Thank you so much for starting this! What a wonderful idea! I can’t watch movies without critiquing their historical innacuracies either.

@libby

I love many of the authors you mentioned as well! 1400s Italy is such an interesting setting!

I would sum up all my favorite time periods as pretty nearly everything included in World History. But if I had to choose between them, then my favorite eras would probably be Ancient Roman times/Early Church, Viking Ages, Renaissance, 1900-1950, and Communist Cuba (1950s-1960). I really love so many people from history…but for some reason I am especially drawn to people who played major roles in science (I don’t know why…) such as Pasteur, and Antoine and Marie-Anne Lavoisier. I also love studying the lives of composers and artists.

I have not read whole works of Rosemary Sutcliff yet but am probably going to make it my 2019 New Year’s Resolution. The bit that I’ve read, though I absolutely love! I also really love Eloise Jarvis Magraw. Her prose is simply beautiful.

I am currently working on a short screenplay about two girls during the depresion. The idea still very vague and indistinct; I almost want to make it a short story, so it could become pretty nearly anything right now.

And here are some more quotes, perhaps not about history, but they are from authors:

“Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.” Louisa May Alcott

“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.”
      “True humility is not thinking less of yourself; it is thinking of yourself less.”

“You don’t have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.”
      “We are what we believe we are.”
      “Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? I thought I was the only one.”
      “Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you get neither.”

“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
      “Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art… It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things that give value to survival.”
      “God cannot give us a happiness and peace apart from Himself, because it is not there. There is no such thing.” C. S. Lewis

“People laugh at me because I use big words. But if you have big ideas you have to use big words to express them, haven’t you?” L. M. Montgomery

“That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much.” Robert Louis Stevenson

https://delightfullyimagin.wixsite.com/shirarodriguez

Selah CJW
      @selah-chelyah

@wisdomofprose  Oh, I love Eloise Jarvis McGraw`s writing as well! Which books of hers have you read?

I love your quotes! The sun rising/Christianity quote is one of my favorite quotes ever. SO true!!

“While others are congratulating themselves, I have to sit at the foot of the cross and marvel that I`m saved at all.” ~Charles Spurgeon

“God does not want something from us. He simply wants us.” ~C. S. Lewis

“The louder Satan roars, the more proof you shall have of Christ`s love.” ~Charles Spurgeon

“I claim the holy right to disappoint men in order to avoid disappointing God.” ~A. W. Tozer

~ Created to create ~

Selah CJW
      @selah-chelyah

@gracelynbuckner  Jump in if you want to! 🙂  (Another his-fic writer and homeschooler, @everyone!!)

~ Created to create ~

Chelsea R.H.
      @seekjustice

@Gracelynbuckner

Hello! And most definitely, if you are a historical fictioner, come and join our thread!

Mahalo keia huiʻana

ScarletImmortalized
      @scarletimmortalized

Oooh these are great quotes!!

“To be a true hero you must be a true Christian. To sum up then, heroism is largely based on two qualities- truthfulness and unselfishness, a readiness to put one’s own pleasures aside for that of others, to be courteous to all, kind to those younger than yourself, helpful to your parents, even if helpfulness demands some slight sacrifice of your own pleasure. . .you must remember that these two qualities are the signs of Christian heroism.”
      ― G. A. HENTY

My personal all time favorite.

“Scarlet, What are you eating?” ~ “Ghost peppers...” ~ Robin sighed.

Rochellaine
      @rochellaine

@ashira Well, like I said, I don’t know a while lot about California’s particular participation in the Civil War, but I know that Wikipedia article covers it pretty thoroughly.  However, to get a good idea of Western Civil War era relations I’d definitely recommend you watch Two Flags West (1950)!  It is a very interesting and unusual Civil War movie in the fact that it doesn’t show any bias to one side or the other, but simply shows both sides as they were.  Politics aren’t gone into, but just relations.  I would definitely not recommend watching it with younger kids, though, as it deals with some tough subjects, and the end is pretty sad.

@eden-anderson
        Hm, the first thing I thought of was a way to fix up the cliche of “guy gets kicked out of his family for the girl” would be to have him not marry her. 😛  Maybe he just becomes really good friends with her, and then marries a Southern girl who also believes slavery is wrong?  If the Northern girl was just a friend who helped him understand the problems with slavery, and he went back home and married a Southern girl, he wouldn’t necessarily have the problem with his parents.  Or, he could still consider marrying her, and then ultimately decide it would be selfish of him to take her away from family she loves, down South to a place where she’ll be hated.  That’s a romantic and idealistic thing to do, (“if you were the only girl in the world,” etc.) but it wouldn’t be all that romantic in real life, once the “honeymoon stage” wore off.  He could even have a whole struggle with himself over how to balance “a man shall leave his father and mother and cleave to his wife” with “honor thy father and mother.”

What are your thoughts on that suggestion?

Nonsense makes the heart grow fonder ~ Carolyn Wells

Libby
        @libby

@selah-chelyah Great quotes.  I love the one about kissing the Rock of Ages, if that makes sense. 😉

@seekjustice
        Yes, that’s a great quote.  I will definitely try to read that book!

@wisdomofprose
        Yay!  I’m so glad you’re here!  This quote just hit the right spot: “Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: “What! You too? I thought I was the only one.” So true.

Here’s a lifechanging one that had a huge impact on my life.  You’ll have to look up the story behind it, too.

“D’ye know what Calvary was? What? What? What? It was damnation; and he took it lovingly.”
        ~John Duncan

Also, love this one.

“Goodbye? Oh no, please. Can’t we just go back to page one and start all over again?” – Winnie The Pooh

And finally:

“Thou hast made us for thyself, oh Lord, and restless is our heart until it comes to rest in thee.” ~ St. Augustine

"Young people, you must pray, for your passions are strong and your wisdom is little."C.H.Spurgeon

Selah CJW
        @selah-chelyah

@scarletimmortalized  Oooo, I love the G A Henty quote! I have heard it before, but where did you manage to find it? I think that is why I love his books so much, because his characters live up to that! P.S.~ Are you writing for the guild war?!?!

@libby
          Yeah, it makes sense! 🙂 I love that last quote by St. Augustine. Where do you find many of your quotes… anywhere specific? I find a lot of mine on Pinterest.

~ Created to create ~

Eden Anderson
        @eden-anderson

@rochellaine

Those are some really good thoughts! I like the idea of finding a “southern” girl for him to marry. Because really in that time period, people didn’t really have the mindset of “marrying for love”. They did what was practical and expected in their day. Love really wasn’t the main factor back than.

So it was kinda unrealistic for Stanley to marry some one from New York-practically the other side of the country-just because he had “fallen in love” with her.

I’d love to hear anymore thoughts you have…your really enlightening me! 😀  lol

"But how could you live and have no story to tell?" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Rochellaine
        @rochellaine

@eden-anderson While I can agree that as you say, “love wasn’t the main factor back then,” I do believe that there was a mindset of “marrying for love” and has been for ages.  The Civil War was a time of gallantry, and especially Southern Gentlemen, but also some Northerners were acclaimed for their chivalry and romance.  The difference was, back then, the romance and love didn’t stop after the marriage.  You can read many Civil War era love letters between husbands and wives, and find stories of popular girls who were courted by many distinguished men.  There are stories of Civil War heroes who died in the arms of their sweethearts/wives, and stories of women who remained in widowhood for the rest of their lives, mourning their husbands.  (Do you know the story of Queen Victoria?  That’s Civil War era, but in England. 😉 Mrs. “Stonewall” Jackson was another woman who was famous for her long widowhood.)

So while you’re right, customs were acknowledged at the time, and protocols were in place as to who you should or shouldn’t marry, don’t believe that that takes away all the romance, as there was plenty of it.

My meaning when I spoke of the “unrealistic cliche” was that it’s still applicable today.  Even now, there are types of people who marry similar types of people.  It’s still uncommon for a rich man to marry a poor girl, simply because they don’t meet very often in the same social circles, (and also because it would be very hard for him to believe she wasn’t a “gold digger”. 😛 )  It’s still uncommon for people with opposing political views to marry, and it’s still uncommon for someone to marry a person their friends and family hate.  So I think it’s the same whether you’re writing for the 1860s, the 1100s, or the 2010s.

Rochellaine
          @rochellaine

@libby My thoughts on the Emily books. 😛

There are some very interesting and fun things about them, but the thing I really dislike about the Emily books is the confusing romance.  I haven’t read them in years, but I recall that Emily and her friends went back and forth between so many different people and for the strangest reasons…I just couldn’t understand why that was necessary.  The Anne and Gilbert romance seemed a lot more realistic to me.  I know Anne was going with Roy for a little while, but it didn’t have the overabundance of drama Emily’s romances did.

So yeah, basically I dislike the Emily books because there’s too much romance in them.  Which is saying a lot for me, because my friends know I love romance stories. 😉  I think I might actually say, rather than too much romance, there’s too much melodrama.  It reads like a soap opera, with that older, seemingly stupid man wanting to marry Emily, but not actually wanting to or something (I despise miscommunication) and that other girl leaving someone at the altar, and them all courting everyone within the possible realm of eligibility.  It’s just annoying.

So…that’s my rant. 😛 I’m sorry, I know you like them.  What do you think about my problems with the books?

Some G.A.Henty books I like: In the Reign of Terror, The Tiger of Mysore, A Roving Commission, A Knight of the White Cross, By Right of Conquest, With Lee in Virginia, The Dash For Khartoum.  Have you read any of those?  What are some of your own favorites?

Selah CJW
            @selah-chelyah

@rochellaine  Wow, awesome favorites! I love the Henty books!

~ Created to create ~

Libby
            @libby

@rochellaine I think your thoughts make perfect sense.  I agree that there’s a bit much romance in there.  At the same time, one reason I really like the Emily books is that they portray the confusion and “melodrama” that occurs a lot in our world.  There’s where I disagree with you. 😉 While I definitely don’t love all the romance in those books, I do think it’s realistic and shows a part of our world that we’d rather not see.  Am I making sense?  😉

By the way, who’s the old man who loves Emily and doesn’t do anything about it and is stupid?  Dean?  Just wondering. 🙂

There go my thoughts.  Hope they make sense!  And thank you for sharing yours!

Yes, I’ve read some of those GA Henty books.  I love In the Reign of Terror and With Lee in Virginia.  Also, For the Temple, Wulf the Saxon, and The Cat of Bubastes.

@selah-chelyah
            I…actually don’t look for quotes.  When I read books or research for Apologetics and my speech and debate league, I stumble across some really neat stuff.  Apart from that, I get them from friends…like you. 😉

"Young people, you must pray, for your passions are strong and your wisdom is little."C.H.Spurgeon

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 434 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest