For All The Historical Fictioners

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions For All The Historical Fictioners

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 434 total)
  • Author
    Chelsea R.H.
    @seekjustice

@eden-Anderson I wrote a reply to you and then accidentally deleted it, so I’m currently reforming my words. Stay tuned 🙂

Mahalo keia huiʻana

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

Okay!!

"But how could you live and have no story to tell?" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Chelsea R.H.
    @seekjustice

@rochellaine

That’s fine 🙂

@eden-anderson

Sorry if I worded that badly. I don’t mean defend them as in “Wave away all the bad things they do”, and yes, I’m referring specifically to World War One, because that’s my area of expertise and that is what Rochellaine and I were discussing. WW1 was never as clearcut as WW2, so its harder to point at a side and say “They’re bad”, and yet we still do it, mostly with the Germans, but also a little with the Turks (that’s probably more of an Australian thing, though our friendship with Modern Turkey is very strong).

And yes, it’s true that the Germans committed horrible, atrocious acts (in WW1), but so did the Allies, and yet we’re more willing to sweep those under the carpet because “they’re good guys”. Wanting to defend the world against what they saw as a hideous evil, and wanting to protect the small countries like Belgium, is a noble desire, but it doesn’t excuse some of the things that happened.

Just like in the Allied countries, the people of the Central Powers were being fed ridiculous propaganda, and many believed that they were doing right. In fact, it was a huge belief at the time that it was a Holy War, and both sides believed they were fighting for God’s will to be done on earth. The clergymen in particular, tended to fuel this idea. Not only that, but conscription was a huge thing. In fact, toward the middle of the war, Germany had lost so many soldiers that they had to start conscripting boys sixteen years of age, and some were probably younger. All Quiet on the Western Front is about a school class who literally goes straight from a schoolroom to the Western Front. Compared to that, Australian soldiers were a lot older, for the most part, more experienced,  etc.

And this is getting very long. One of my favourite authors is Michael Morpurgo, who writes a lot on war. One of his books, which you may have heard of, is War Horse, which is about a horse on the Western front, who initially belongs to an English lieutenant, before his owner is killed and he is rescued by a French farmgirl. While he’s staying with the French girl, he is commandeered by the German army, along with his horse friend. He’s given to the gunner, to pull the heavy guns the German artillery used, but the gunner is a really kind young man, who looks after his horses as best as he is able given the cruelty of their conditions. Then he’s stolen by a very young German boy and his brother, who are deserting the army. And when they’re shot for cowardice and desertion, he ends up wandering no man’s land, where he is then rescued by an English soldier and a German one.

Basically, the point of that long ramble, is that those are the plot points and I may or may not have got them in the right order. And also that, Michael Morpurgo showed both sides of the war and the horrors and kindnesses that they both dealt.

Um, well, hopefully this made a little sense. 😀

Mahalo keia huiʻana

Libby
    @libby

@selah-chelyah @seekjustice @eden-anderson Thank you for the explanation ;).

Favorite historical periods: Civil War, French Revolution, Ancient Egypt, Italy during the Renaissance.

As for books and authors, I love Elizabeth Gaskell, Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, Mildred Taylor, LM Montgomery, JRR Tolkien, CS Lewis, Louisa May Alcott, Maud Hart Lovelace, Susan Fletcher, Susan Coolage, Alexandre Dumas, David Platt…
    Books would be “Falcon in the Glass”, “What Katie Did” (all the books), Narnia and Lord of the Rings, Betsey-Tacy series, Emily of New Moon books, “Roll of Thunder, Hear my Cry” and all the rest in that series, “The Count of Monte Cristo”, “Pride and Prejudice”, “North and South” and “Wives and Daughters”, and “Radical”.  Too many favorites, really, but I can’t narrow it down.  Oh, and I love “Miracle of Dunkirk” – Walter Lord – and “For the Glory: Eric Liddell” – by Duncan Hamilton.

Some of my favorite people – not counting friends and family – would be Abraham Lincoln, Robert E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson, Joshua Chamberlain, Handcock–I can never remember his first name–Eric Liddell, Lottie Moon…

My stories that I’m currently writing are these: One’s set in Italy during the 14oos, about a power-hungry Italian who struggles with his greed as he seeks to overthrow tyranny.  2nd one’s set in England, about an orphan girl who is a cast-off because of her scars.  The last one’s set in Germany, during the Nazi regimen, about a girl who is timid by nature and struggles to stand up for what she believes.

Good quotes:
    “The gospel alone is the power of God unto salvation.  Therefore, suffer, yes. Be misunderstood, yes. Be shamed, yes. But do not be ashamed. For the joy set before you, take up your cross, follow Jesus, be shamed and despise the shame!” — John Piper
    “God does not call the equipped; he equips the called.” –Anonymous
    “He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose”  – Jim Elliot
    “To live is to love with the passion of a thousand stars. To love is to live despite the pain of a thousand scars. Anything in between is a passing shadow.” ~Michael Joseph Murano

"Young people, you must pray, for your passions are strong and your wisdom is little."C.H.Spurgeon

Libby
    @libby

@seekjustice I’ll have to read that book by…Michael Morpurgo?  I very much agree with you, but to be honest, I don’t have a great grasp on that time period.

"Young people, you must pray, for your passions are strong and your wisdom is little."C.H.Spurgeon

Selah CJW
    @selah-chelyah

@libby  Wow, the last two books you mentioned sound really cool… I will have to check them out asap!

Do you mean John Hancock? What awesome favorites!

Wow, your WIP`s sound really neat. Are  you working on all of them right now? I find I have to focus on one at a time, or I go crazy!

Mmm, love your quotes!!! Especially the one by Jim Elliott… I love that one! :_  Here are some more:

Are you on Pinterest?!

Assistant Guildmaster of the Phantom Awesome Meraki
    ~ Created to create ~

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@seekjustice

Yes, your post definitely made sense! 😀 I understand where you are coming from and I agree with you. Thank you so much for taking all that time to explain to me! I love learning new things…especially about history.

(BTW, isn’t it so awesome that this thread lasted more than half an hour and it’s still going strong. YAY FOR US HISTORY GEEKS!!! 🎉)

@libby

YOU HAVE AWESOME TASTE!!!!! And your WIP sound really cool!

Ariel Ashira
    @ashira

@libby Hi!  Your quotes are great!

@rochellaine
    Do you know much about how California felt in the Civil war?  If you do, I’d love to hear it!

@eden-anderson
    Oh, don’t!  Why do you think its cheesy?

"No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how hard you fall, you are never out of the fight."

Rochellaine
    @rochellaine

@eden-anderson I see.  I’m not going to argue that you shouldn’t scrap the idea if you no longer are interested in it.  If you’re ever interested in writing another Civil War his-fic, though, I’d love to talk about what would make it a good and unusual story! 🙂

No, I agree. We should not excuse any heinous acts committed by the Germans just because we can feel sorry for them.  Knowing someone’s reasoning does not make what they’re doing right, but it does help us understand them better.

@ashira
    I don’t really know much about it, sorry.  I found a Wikipedia article that is specifically about that, if you’re interested in looking through it yourself.  May I ask why California particularly?  Last time I checked it’s not your home state. 😉  I have seen an amazing film set in the west during the Civil War that deals with both sides very well and realistically.  But I don’t think it has to do particularly with California.  I think it’s more midwestern than that.

@libby
    Cool list of books!  I have very conflicted feelings regarding the Emily of the New Moon series.  I like Anne better. 😉  Have you ever read Henty?

Nonsense makes the heart grow fonder ~ Carolyn Wells

Ariel Ashira
    @ashira

@rochellaine Because my 1860’s western has to do with stuff in California, that’s why. 😛 And because you have so many good answers.

"No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how hard you fall, you are never out of the fight."

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@ashira

It’s cheesy because the whole thing between Stanley and the girl (her name was Emma by the way) was so cliche and generic. Give up the girl or die…BLAH! BLAH! BLAH! BLAH! And if you’ve been following this discussion you can see that there was a lot of stuff I didn’t know and/or even think about.

So there. 😀

@rochellaine

Aww, your really sweet to offer! Thank you for putting up with little-no-nothing me and patiently explaining despite my confusion. 😝 (thanks again to you to @seekjustice)

Honestly, if you could give me some ways to improve my plot, I might consider retrying it. It’s a pretty big might…but hey, you offered. 😀

Only if you want to.

Libby
    @libby

I just wrote this, and now it disappeared!  I hate it when that happens!

Here goes another try!

@selah-chelyah
    Those last two books are really cool – highly recommended!
    Actually, I meant Winfield Scott Hancock, a Union Civil War general.  He was a neat guy.  But I’m glad you like my favorites!
    I am working on most of my stories right now, but I am lagging behind in the one in England.  As for the one in Italy, I’m planning on that one for NaNoWriMo, but I’m not sure if I’ll actually get it done!  It gets hectic.
    I love the Jim Elliot quote, too.  I also really liked the quote you shared about David’s pen.  I’m currently writing a speech on something related to that, so it caught me.
    I am not on Pinterest, but I’ll have to look into that!  How do you do that?

@eden-anderson
    Thank you!  I’m glad you liked my taste – I like it too! 🙂

@ashira
    Thank you!  Do you have any favorite quotes?

@rochellaine
    I would love to hear your thoughts on the Emily books.  I do love Anne, though.  She is one of my favorites, too.  Have you read The Blue Castle, also by LM Montgomery?
    I have read some of Henty.  Do you have any favorite works of his?

Selah CJW
    @selah-chelyah

@libby  Ooo, yes, he it really neat, too! :_

Wow, that sounds like an amazing speech! It sounds like you have a lot of different writing projects going.

Mmm, it has been so long since I joined… I think you just need to go to Pinterest.com and it will ask you if you want to create an account on the main page. (Email and password for an account.) It creates an account that you can put your info on and create boards to save pins to. So many cool ideas I have found on there! I use it for all kinds of things… including business, thus my name “Maiden USA”. :_ You can find me here, look through my boards for ideas, whatever…

https://www.pinterest.com/MaidenSelah/

~ Created to create ~

Selah CJW
    @selah-chelyah

Oh, and some more inspiring quotes!……….

~ Created to create ~

ScarletImmortalized
    @scarletimmortalized

@ basically everyone

*sobs* I leave for a few days and this becomes the most popular thread and I don’t know where those people are that complimented me but thank you and I love the ideas I read as well and hang on I’ll go read and bring back a proper response.

“Scarlet, What are you eating?” ~ “Ghost peppers...” ~ Robin sighed.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 434 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Story Embers

Pin It on Pinterest