For All The Historical Fictioners

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions For All The Historical Fictioners

This topic contains 431 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  Caseybold 2 hours, 38 minutes ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 421 through 432 (of 432 total)
  • Author

Tinuviel
    @tinuviel

@emberynus-the-dragonslayer Thank you so much!

@valtmy Ooh, definitely Laura Ingalls Wilder! How about you?

Laura Waldorf. Christian, writer, dreamer, sub-creator of beauty.

valtmy
    @valtmy

@tinuviel

Austen, Doyle and Dickens 🙂

Abigail Rebekah
      @abigail-rebekah

@everyone

What is the hardest era you have tried to write in before?

And who is your favourite his-fic author?

~ Laugh. Drink Coffee. Smile. And Write ~

Caseybold
        @caseybold

@abigail-rebekah The hardest eras for me are Stone Age and Ancient. I love knowing all the little every day details, how people would think, and the farther the time period is from now the harder it gets to find reliable information on the small stuff. Maybe I just haven’t found the right resources yet. I know authors like Rosemary Sutcliff did a great job writing about those eras.

Rosemary Sutcliff’s already been mentioned on this thread, but she’s definitely one of my favorites. Another favorite is Louis deWohl. I love how they both really get into the characters and the feel of everything.

What about you?

I'm nobody, Who are you? -Emily Dickinson 뜻이 있는 곳에 길이 있다.

Chelsea R.H.
          @seekjustice

@caseybold

Hey, welcome to the thread!! I’m SeekJustice 😀 I started this thread but regularly abandon it for long stretches of time 😛 How are you going?

Also, I love, love, love Rosemary Sutcliff! Which of her books is your favourite? Mine is definitely The Eagle of the Ninth, closely followed by The Silver Branch.

@abigail-rebekah

Definitely pre-colonial Polynesia. There’s so little information even regarding basic things. (*mumbles angrily about the white men who gallivanted over the Pacific destroying stuff*) and Roman Britain, which is much the same. Its only been as I’ve started researching more stuff about early Britain that I’ve learnt exactly how much is speculation, usually as a result of his-fic authors. Like I was researching the Picts the other day and I discovered that we don’t even know what language family their language belonged to, never mind what language they actually spoke. And we don’t even know if they really did paint/tattoo themselves. Its all the result of people (Rosemary Sutcliff, lol) speculating on what they might have been like.

As to favourite authors, see above answer about Sutcliff. I love her work (she did the best in regards to historical authenticity as she was able to, given her time and place). I also love some Aussie authors (M.L. Stedman does a good job).

Mahalo keia huiʻana

Caseybold
          @caseybold

Hi @seekjustice! I’ve never heard of M.L. Stedman. I’ll have to look him/her (?) up. 😀

Favorite Rosemary Sutcliff is Warrior Scarlet. The Roman Britain Trilogy is pretty awesome too though!

Do you have any current historical fiction WIP?

Chelsea R.H.
            @seekjustice

@caseybold I think its a her? I don’t know. They’re an Aussie author who wrote a novel called The Light Between Oceans, which I really liked.

I’ve never read Warrior Scarlet. What’s it about?

I do actually! I have a WW1 novel that I’m plotting at the moment and am hoping to write in November. What about you?

Mahalo keia huiʻana

Caseybold
            @caseybold

@seekjustice Warrior Scarlet is about a boy with a crippled arm in Bronze Age Britain. There’s a Wolf Killing test that all the boys in the tribe have to pass to become warriors and wear the Warrior Scarlet, and he has to try to pass it with his impediment. Really great story. I don’t want to spoil it in case you end up reading it. 😀

That sounds cool! I don’t usually hear of people doing WWI – such an interesting time – so I love that you’re doing that. 😀 What’s the story about?

I’m working on a short novel about the early Christian martyrs during one of the Roman persecutions. Particularly about one young girl, and how she stays true to the faith.

Chelsea R.H.
              @seekjustice

@caseybold

That sounds like a great story premise! I love the amount of disabled characters Sutcliff included in her works, especially when she was writing at a time when disability was still very ostracised.

The story is basically about a group of young men and women (they’re between 18 and about 25) who are all affected by the war in different and sometimes conflicting ways. My main protagonist is Amy Digby, whose brother was previously considered medically unfit for duty but has now been accepted into the air force…

Okay, look I’m not good at talking about my plots 😛 I did a blog post about here though, which is hopefully more coherent.

I love that plot! Have you ever read The Martyr of the Catacombs? its been years since I read it, but I remember really enjoying at the time.

Mahalo keia huiʻana

Caseybold
              @caseybold

@seekjustice I haven’t read The Martyr of the Catacombs. I’ll look it up!

Your story sounds really cool 😀 If you ever need a beta reader/second opinion let me know. I’d love to read it!

Also, I’m totally going to follow your blog now lol 😀

Abigail Rebekah
                @abigail-rebekah

@caseybold

Yeah, those eras do sound hard 🙂

I’m not really sure what eras I find the hardest…I haven’t really tried writing in many different eras. I think that writing historical fiction is always harder though cus you’re writing about something real instead of making everything up. I love writing during World War I and II eras, but it can be hard making sure that I have all my facts right.

I haven’t heard of those authors. I love John J. Horn’s books as they are his-fic and really good.

@seekjustice

Yeah, that makes sense. It’s annoying when you can’t just find all the info/facts you need for a story, isn’t it? Those eras do sound hard to write about 🙂

I love the research side, though. It’s super fun.

What are your favourite eras?

~ Laugh. Drink Coffee. Smile. And Write ~

Caseybold
                  @caseybold

@abigail-rebekah I’ve never heard of John J. Horn. I’m always looking for new authors to love though! Which book of his would be best to start with?

Viewing 12 posts - 421 through 432 (of 432 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest