For All The Historical Fictioners

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions For All The Historical Fictioners

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 434 total)
  • Author
    Ariel Ashira
    @ashira

@rochellaine *covers ears* Ahg, I remember all of them screaming! Except maybe the mother.I got like two or three books into it I think, only because it was on our curiculum.   But my Mom let me stop because I was already dealing with migraines during school and when all they did was scream and tell stories or the “dear little brown house” (*barfs*) it didnt help.  No offence if you like them, but I dont. 😛 Plus they seem so unrealistic and not real.

Do you like Elsie Dinsmore?  I can hardly stand her.  I read several books but only for the same reason i read the Peppers.

"No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how hard you fall, you are never out of the fight."

Selah CJW
    @selah-chelyah

@rochellaine  @ashira

Hey, I don’t mind the Elsie Dinsmore books! I am curious as to whether you read them, though, Rochellaine. 🙂 I thought they were pretty cool, and they were a good influence for me at the time when I read them.

Assistant Guildmaster of the Phantom Awesome Meraki
    ~ Created to create ~

Rochellaine
    @rochellaine

@ashira How long ago did you read them?

I really don’t remember anyone having a habit of screaming when angry except Joel, Van and Alexia, and only in their younger years.  If anyone else screamed angrily, it must have been a very unusual occasion for them.  Like I said before, Margaret Sidney used the word “scream” to also mean a kind of shout/squeal of joy.  They would “scream” when they found a kitten or a birthday cake for example.  I guess if you’re picturing in your head angry screams whenever that happens, since that is how we use the word “scream” most often in modern times, it would get very annoying.

The reason I liked them was because they were a very close-knit family who loved each other unselfishly and unconditionally.  They cared so much for each other that if one of them were angry or behaving badly it would only take a sad look from a sibling/parent to make them beg for forgiveness almost immediately.  I liked the way the author portrayed the kids who grew up poor teaching their rich friends how to be compassionate and down-to-earth.  And how one family could make such a huge difference among so many people.  I didn’t find it unrealistic at all, except for the very first book’s coincidental relatives discovery. (I’m speaking of Mr. Whitney and Mrs. Pepper being cousins.)  And even that does happen in real life on occasion.

I think the model of caring for people, both friends and family – and strangers – unconditionally and unselfishly is a great example and something we can learn from and emulate in reading the Pepper books.

As for the Elsie books, I have read the first three.  When I was about ten I absolutely loved them and would read and reread them constantly.  However, I’ve grown out of the ability to enjoy melodrama to that extent.  There are good things to learn from them, but really, Christian literature from the 1800s is almost exclusively overly melodramatic, and I tend to stay away from it nowadays in favor of more down-to-earth, simply told stories of the 1900s.

@selah-chelyah

Nonsense makes the heart grow fonder ~ Carolyn Wells

Ariel Ashira
      @ashira

@rochellaine Eh, its been several years.  And yes 1800s Christian fiction is way melodramatic. 😛

I didnt really care why they screamed, mad, happy, whatever.  It was just a problem.

Yeah, that makes sense.

"No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how hard you fall, you are never out of the fight."

Selah CJW
      @selah-chelyah

@rochellaine  @ashira

Yeah, I agree with you. There is not any 1900’s Christian fiction that I really like, let alone profit from, anymore. The Elsie books were fine for when I was younger, but they are very melodramatic and highly unrealistic to me now! It becomes obvious very fast that Martha Finley never got married and had a family of her own…very unrealistic portrayals. 🙂

~ Created to create ~

Chelsea R.H.
      @seekjustice

@selah-chelyah @ashira

I have eight of the Elsie books and have never liked any of them 😛 As @rochellaine said, way too dramatic and ridiculous, as well as suffering from some unfortunate racial portrayals (as does pretty much any book from the time).

Mahalo keia huiʻana

Ariel Ashira
      @ashira

@seekjustice Yeah. *nods*

Selah CJW
      @selah-chelyah

@seekjustice

Exactly!

~ Created to create ~

Selah CJW
      @selah-chelyah

Anyone have any amazing or crazy research finds recently? How is writing going?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Selah CJW.

~ Created to create ~

Emberynus The Dragonslayer
      @emberynus-the-dragonslayer

Hey is there any room in here for me?. . . I’m kinda a historical fictioner, *thanks @seekjustice for the new word*

Sold souls and dead promises

Ariel Ashira
      @ashira

@emberynus-the-dragonslayer Of course!  What eras do you write in?  Do you have some favorite his-fic authors?

Selah CJW
      @selah-chelyah

Of course! I love your profile pic, btw. 🙂

Ditto to my sis’s questions above. XD

~ Created to create ~

Abigail Rebekah
      @abigail-rebekah

Hi, everyone *waves*

I love historical fiction, too. xD

It’s so cool how many his-fic writers there are on here 🙂

P.S.

I love the new word… historical fictioner lol 🙂

~ Laugh. Drink Coffee. Smile. And Write ~

Emberynus The Dragonslayer

@ashira

@selah-chelyah

Just about every era! LOL! I love to write about the Greeks and Romans alot though.

My favorite Historical fiction authors are George MacDonald and Michael Phillips. . .also Ed Dunlop though he doesn’t just write historical fiction. (well neither do I so, 😛 )

I’m glad you like the profile picture! I find them on pinterest and bing alot of times, sometimes on google

Sold souls and dead promises

WisdomOfProse
        @wisdomofprose

Salutations! 😉 I am so glad you like Greek/Roman times! I do too! George MacDonald’s The Golden Key is one of my absolute favorite books! Have you read Till We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis? It’s a retelling of the Cupid and Psyche myth.

@abigail-rebekah

Welcome Abigail! I’ve been so surprised by how many historical fiction writers there are, too!  🙂 BTW, I love your signature! 🙂

https://delightfullyimagin.wixsite.com/shirarodriguez

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 434 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest