For All The Historical Fictioners

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions For All The Historical Fictioners

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 434 total)
  • Author
    Rochellaine
    @rochellaine

@lrc

Thanks for the answers. 🙂

I’m not going to be able to email/chat with you until July, (I’m still working on finals) but I’ll give you my email address now just so I don’t forget later.  I’ve put it in a google document which you’ll have to request access to.  I think when you request access you can write a note letting me know it’s you, but if not, it’s fine.  I doubt anyone else will request access. 😛 (Please don’t, anyone else, without asking me first. 😉 )

Here’s the link:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JRMm8s7QExF_gc9iRTObtXfkbirybIJ0yNYSp34sPn8/edit?usp=sharing

Nonsense makes the heart grow fonder ~ Carolyn Wells

LRC
      @lrc

@rochellaine

Thanks so much! I just requested access, let me know if you get it. 🙂 It didn’t give a note option but should come in as my name I think. I won’t bother you until July, then. Looking forward to it! 🙂

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by LRC.
        Rochellaine
        @rochellaine

Hey everyone, I have a historical question that I’ve been wondering about.  Do any of you know the answers?  @seekjustice @valtmy @samantha-pen @selah-chelyah @ashira @the-inkspiller @lrc (I know there are a couple other people who visit this topic, but I can’t remember anyone else’s tag at the moment.  So I’ll just tag @everyone 😛 )

I’ve read several books, (and I think I may have possibly seen it in a film as well, but I’m not sure) in which children use pins as currency in the mid 1800s to early 1900s.  I’m wondering how that started, why pins in particular were used, and whether it has any relation to the phrase “pin money”.

My own hypothetical answers to these questions (without doing any research) are

1. It started because children did not have enough money to use actual coins as currency amongst themselves, but needed a standard price which could not be argued about, as would happen when bartering with different items of unstandardized values.

2. Pins were used because because you could buy 20 or 100 pins for a penny, (I don’t know the actual price) which would make the minuscule amount they were worth more reasonable for child currency.

3. It has no relation to pin money, which phrase I believe originated from a little bit of money one would keep “pinned” in a little corner of a handkerchief, pocket, or garment.

Now, I really have no idea whether any of my theories are correct, as I haven’t had time to do any research regarding this question.  And I might be completely off target…even aiming in the opposite direction.  So please, anyone with more information, enlighten me. 😀

LRC
          @lrc

Has had multiple definitions over the years, it seems. Here’s one:

“Originally a small allowance given to a woman in order to purchase clothes etc. for herself. More recently it is used to describe any small amount of money which might be earned by children or the low-paid for some service.”  (Source: https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/pin-money.html)

And then here’s a short article about some of the others and how they might have come up: http://www.word-detective.com/2013/07/pin-money

And that’s only super quick research, so who knows if any of it’s right. 🙂

Rochellaine
            @rochellaine

@lrc Yeah, I pretty much knew what pin money meant, though not the exact definition since I never looked it up.

I’m speaking of something entirely different: pins used as actual currency.  The only reason I mentioned pin money is because the name sounds so similar. 🙂

Rochellaine
              @rochellaine

@lrc Oh, whoops.  I didn’t notice the second article you listed in your post. 😛

Thanks for that.  I’ll be reading it soon. 😉

Ariel Ashira
                @ashira

@rochellaine I have never heard of that before.  hmm, now you have me curious. 😀 I will let you know ifI find anything out about it.  Is it research for a WIP?

"No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how hard you fall, you are never out of the fight."

Selah CJW
                @selah-chelyah

@rochellaine

Sounds like awesome research! I don’t know much about that, though it is familiar as well. Let us know what you find out…and if I find anything, I’ll let you know. 🙂

Assistant Guildmaster of the Phantom Awesome Meraki
                ~ Created to create ~

Rochellaine
                @rochellaine

@the-inkspiller Hey, um, I’m confused as to why you requested access to the document I linked in my post above to LRC?  Did you have a reason for doing so?

Rochellaine
                  @rochellaine

@ashira @selah-chelyah Thanks. 🙂 No, it’s not research for a WIP.  It’s just something I was thinking about and wondering.  😛

I found one place I’d remembered where it mentions pins used as currency: in Joel Pepper by Margaret Sidney.  But in that one it’s only talked about, and they don’t actually use the pins to pay for anything.  I believe I remember at least one other book where they did…I think they charged everyone a few pins to get into a make-shift theater to see their amateur production.

Ariel Ashira
                    @ashira

@rochellaine UGH! 😀 I hate the Pepper books!  They are always screaming.

"No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how hard you fall, you are never out of the fight."

The Inkspiller
                    @the-inkspiller

@rochellaine, ah my mistake. I tend to click on everyone’s google docs links (being interested in reading what they have to say) but if you wish to keep it private, no worries. My apologies if I was too nosy.

Non nobis Domine, sed nomini, Tuo da gloriam.

Rochellaine
                    @rochellaine

@ashira Haha, I adore the Pepper books. 😛

You’re right, though.  They do seem to contain rather more screaming than necessary.  But that’s mostly when the characters are very young, and it’s really only Joel and Van (when they’re about eight, so their young age is kind of an excuse) and Alexa (is that her name?)…who’s just pretty crazy in general.  I don’t think I remember any of the other characters ever screaming.  Little boys do tend to be louder than other people.  And the author uses the word “scream” to mean both joy, anger, and sorrow. 😉

Which ones have you read?

Rochellaine
                      @rochellaine

@the-inkspiller It’s okay. 🙂  The only thing in that document was my contact information, and since I don’t give it out lightly, I wasn’t intending on allowing anyone else access to the document except the specific person for whom it was intended.  I had asked in my post that no one request access without asking me first, but I guess you didn’t notice that.

So don’t worry, you didn’t miss out on a cool story or anything. 😛

Selah CJW
                        @selah-chelyah

@rochellaine

Okay, cool! I love researching random facts and things, as well. And the Pepper books drive me crazy with all the screaming, as well, lol.

Assistant Guildmaster of the Phantom Awesome Meraki
                        ~ Created to create ~

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 434 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest