For All The Historical Fictioners

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions For All The Historical Fictioners

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 434 total)
  • Author
    Michelle Rose
    @michelle

@seekjustice Thanks for tagging me. One thing I don’t understand is when people consider the 1950’s historical fiction, I mean it wasn’t that long ago. It’s modern, even the 20s is considered modern. I’m just not seeing it lol My parents were born in the 1950s lol fun fact HAHA Maybe it’s just me I don’t know.

valtmy
    @valtmy

@seekjustice

Glad to see that you’re back! I really missed the discussions on this thread. 🙂

Hoo boy. Since I am definitely not a purist regarding historical fiction, I do not mind most ‘small’ inaccuracies (e.g. whether this type of fabric would have been available in this place at this time). What I am more interested in is how the people of that time lived and how they think (mindsets, beliefs, characterization) so inconsistencies in that regard bother me much more. There is a common temptation to romanticise some historical figures/societies and vilify others in order to have a nice, simple Good vs Evil conflict (refer to every historical Hollywood movie ever) so you have silly things like characters having weirdly modern, democratic and liberal mindsets that, to me, are far more jarring than whether X was invented yet.

Some of the common inaccuracies that bother me are:

#1: Natives are all peaceful, nature-loving tribal people – Um. No.

#2: Pirates are cool and they only steal from greedy and rich merchants and trading companies – Nope (waves my “Merchants are people too” flag). Also, life at sea, pirate or not, is more about ‘survival’ than ‘freedom and fun’.

#3: The West brought civilization to the rest of the world which have been living in ignorance and backwardness – What.

#4: Men being perfectly content with only having one heir (even and especially if the heir is a girl) and refusing to remarry if their wife is dead in order to remain ‘faithful’ – This ignores many traditions, rules of succession and the very practical need for more hands to work the farmland (which, granted, may not always apply to all places at all times) but more gratingly, it also ignores the higher infant mortality rate and lower life expectancy (there are lots of diseases that cannot be cured without modern medicine) in historical times.

#5: Maternal deaths – Back in the day, giving birth to a child could be as dangerous as going to war. So when the hero says that he wants to have dozens of children with the heroine it’s… not really that romantic of a notion. While I note that it is a common trope for drama/angst to have the main character be labelled as either ‘precious’ or ‘unlucky’ because their mother died giving birth to them (This provides the added benefit of the writer not needing to create another parent character!), it always seems as though their situation is so unique and everyone else’s mothers are fine.

Selah CJW
      @selah-chelyah

@valtmy

Nice points! As in, nice in that they frustrate me just like the rest of this does… grr. 😀

Assistant Guildmaster of the Phantom Awesome Meraki
      ~ Created to create ~

Samantha Farrar
      @samantha-pen

Hi

*waves to all the people here I haven’t talked to in months!*

What’s up with you guys what his fic you been writing/ reading etc…

Also, have any of you ever been to a reenactment and if so for what time period??? I am hoping to go to the River Through Time Reenactment in Coldwater Mi later this month and I am so excited especially since it is my first reenactment ever.

For all of you praying for me through my college ventures. I have finished both my dual enrollment courses for this semester with an A. Thanks so much for all your support and encouragement!!! I am now looking for a job to eventually go towards future college classes and bemoaning the fact that I decided to push myself back a year so I can take more college classes I mean totally worth it but Whhhhyyyyyyy! Still trying to figure out paying for college though and where the heck I wanna go see pls keep praying about that and thanks again. You guys are the best!

and now that I’m done with all that school on to writing and guys can I just say

*squeals* I love story plotting like if I am good at nothing else in writing I think I can come up with pretty interesting story ideas. I sat down to work on a story after my mom bugging me for days and the story I had is at least pushed to the back burner cause I love this new one so much !!!!!!!

So it is about Indenture servants!! Okay, I knew next to nothing about this before taking my history class and I was fascinated! The story is about a  white girl who comes over with her family as indentured servants and a black guy  (Theo-Theodore) previous slave who ran away and convinced an indentured servant collector he was a free man and boarded the ship with him the next morning. So it is basically about what indentured servitude was like. The girl loses her little sister and her parents both get sick so they can no longer work.  She becomes her family’s only chance to get land (since their indenture gave a certain amount of land for each specific worker.  In the end, she does manage to get it despite all obstacles.  Also, the girl and her family are Christian and the guy is not. At the end he gets saved but when his contract ends his boss figures out a way to sell him as a slave and right before he goes up to the platform to be sold he tells the girl “I am finally free!”

Okay, I know super vague but please let me know what you think! I should mention this story has a ten-page limit! I need ideas historical accuracy checkers and everything you guys or girls can throw at me!!!!

Thanks for all your Help

sincerely,

*my kinda pen name* History’s Pen

@valtmy
      @selah-chelyah @ashira @wisdomofprose @rochellaine @scarletimmortalized @eden-anderson @libby @seekjustice @everyoneelse

please share what you think I don’t know your tags

*A passionate ENFP author, in training for Christ.*

Michelle Rose
      @michelle

@samantha-pen *Hugs* Hi Samantha!!!! I haven’t heard from you in a long time. It’s nice to see you again:D Tell me what you’ve been up to? (School work probably) Also, I would love you read more of that story of yours:)

valtmy
      @valtmy

@samantha-pen

I think I’ll need more context regarding your story to form an opinion. So far it seems like there are lots of things going on. There’s the exploration on indentured servitude, the plotline regarding the girl getting the land, the guy’s conversion story etc. It sounds like it’ll take more than 10 pages to do everything justice. Or not. What font size, line and border spacing are we talking about here? 😛

Chelsea R.H.
        @seekjustice

I know I keep saying that I’ll be more consistent on here…but honestly, I keep forgetting 🙂

Anyway, here’s a question:

what’s one interesting fact you learnt from a his-fic book?

I learnt from The Eagle of the Ninth that the ancient British tattooed themselves. This surprised me, because I’d thought that Captain Cook, when he’d returned from the South Pacific was the first person to introduce tattooing to England (tattoo even comes from the Tahitian word Tatau).  But apparently not. I did some googling on it and its quite interesting.

What about you guys?

@valtmy
        @northerner @michelle @samantha-pen @selah-chelyah @ashira @wisdomofprose @eden-anderson @scarletimmortalized

@anyoneElseWhoCaresToJoin

Mahalo keia huiʻana

Ariel Ashira
        @ashira

@samantha-pen Ooh, your story sounds reeeaaaaly epic!  (Just ask my sister, most of my MCs are slaves/servants of some sort!)  If you want me to beta read it, that is usually easier than just throwing historical info off the top of my head at someone which rarely works. XD Still, I wont be too helpful when it comes to some eras…what time period is it??

I remember a thing that we dressed up for as like early americans (cant remember exactly what era, but it was like 18oos pioneerish) and lots of people had booths set up where they did stuff.  Some friends of ours had a booth where the guys were doing blacksmithing and the girls had some sort of yarn spinning thing going.  It was cool.

"No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how hard you fall, you are never out of the fight."

Selah CJW
        @selah-chelyah

@samantha-pen

Hey! So glad you’re back again, and even happier to hear that your course went well. PTL! Thanks for sharing that with us. Your story idea sounds really neat! Great ideas there, for sure. @ashira Yep, I can totally attest to that, lol. 🙂

Assistant Guildmaster of the Phantom Awesome Meraki
        ~ Created to create ~

valtmy
        @valtmy

@seekjustice

Nightingale droppings were and still are being used as face cream in Japan.

The Inkspiller
          @the-inkspiller

@valtmy

I just subscribed to this topic and this concerns me.

Non nobis Domine, sed nomini, Tuo da gloriam.

valtmy
          @valtmy

@the-inkspiller

Welcome to this thread on all things historical.

Just know that somewhere out there, there is someone whose job is to scoop up and collect nightingale poop. 😛

Rochellaine
            @rochellaine

@samantha-pen I haven’t gone to a historical reenactment exactly, but I went to a 1940s dance (they called it a ball, but it wasn’t a ball… 😉 ) in Colorado once.  I wore authentic vintage clothes and there were actors playing Bob Hope, Frank Sinatra, and a few other historical figures.  It was really fun!  I looked up the River Through Time reenactment and it looks cool.  Are you dressing up for it?  If so, what costume are you wearing?

Your story idea sounds great!  I’d love to read it once you’ve written it.  I agree with @valtmy though, that it’s a lot of story for just ten pages.  It sounds more like a novella to me.  Or else you’re going to have to do a lot of “backstory telling” where you just let the readers know what happened without showing it as it happens.

Nonsense makes the heart grow fonder ~ Carolyn Wells

Rochellaine
              @rochellaine

@seekjustice @valtmy  Speaking of strange cosmetic ingredients I got halfway through a book about the Radium Girls before I had to put it down, being sick to my stomach. 🙂  The Radium Girls were girls hired to work in factories with radium before they learned how dangerous it was.  They would paint it on watches to make them more shiny.  But they liked its glow so much that they would take it home and paint it on their skin and teeth to make themselves glow “prettily”.  They were taught to moisten the paint brushes in their mouths before painting, and they ate at their work benches in the radium dust, so they ingested a lot of radium as well.  After working all day and being covered in radium dust they would glow as they walked home in the dark.  Of course, it all made them very sick – their teeth would fall out, and their bones would weaken/crumble – and some of them died.  The women finally decided to sue their employers, and eventually they won, but many had already become very sick and died.

Have either of you ever heard of the Radium Girls?

Nonsense makes the heart grow fonder ~ Carolyn Wells

Ariel Ashira
                @ashira

@rochellaine Ugh, I have never heard of that but…*shudders* that is awful!!

"No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how hard you fall, you are never out of the fight."

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 434 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest