For All The Historical Fictioners

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions For All The Historical Fictioners

This topic contains 341 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  valtmy 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 342 total)
  • Author

E. Veryone
    @e_elaine_soup5

Yay!

I like romances with subplots, though, and if they don’t, I throw the book (sometimes quite literally)

characters are like geodes: you must break them to see what they're made of

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@e_elaine_soup5

Yeah, definitely agree! (Also, save us from those wretched curses called Love Triangles. *shivers*)

"But how could you live and have no story to tell?" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

E. Veryone
    @e_elaine_soup5

I freaking hate those, especially the one in KOTLC

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@e_elaine_soup5

I read about a love triangle and I’m like “okay, I would prefer to go rip my hair out over reading this garbage.” (ehh, maybe that was a little too harsh.)

Do you mean like the books by Shannon Messenger? (Sorry, I’m really bad at acronyms.🤦)

E. Veryone
    @e_elaine_soup5

yeah

Keeper othe Lost Cities

Rochellaine
    @rochellaine

@seekjustice

I stand with @ashira and @selah-chelyah, as I’m sure you were suspecting. 😉  Historical accuracy is important.  However, I come close to “alternate history” when I read old sci-fi books.  If, say, there’s a sci-fi or dystopian novel written in the 40s about the then future 80s, well, that’s technically alternate history, since it never ended up happening. 😀

My most recent interest in that area has been in reading short sci-fi stories by Walter M. Miller.  They were written in the 50s, and are some of the best worldbuilding and character portrayals in short stories I’ve ever read.  (Of course, I haven’t read a lot of short stories, so that’s not much to go on. 😉 )

@eden-anderson @e_elaine_soup5 I like romance too, and I agree that the book has to be about something other than just romance.  However, I do enjoy some kinds of love triangles! 😮 😀 It seems that’s a pretty unpopular opinion around here…

Are there any romance cliches that you do like?

Nonsense makes the heart grow fonder ~ Carolyn Wells

Ariel Ashira
      @ashira

@rochellaine *high five*

"No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how hard you fall, you are never out of the fight."

Eden Anderson
      @eden-anderson

@rochellaine

I just think the love triangle is SO overused in fiction. Sometimes it almost feels like the author is writing their novel and all of a sudden they think “this story doesn’t have enough conflict…hmm, how can I fix this? Oh, I know! Let’s throw in a love-triangle!” Voilà Now they have an awesome book!!  Um…no. Sorry.

I guess I’ve just read so many books with a love triangle in it, that I just got tired of it. I occasionally like them, if they are done well. 😛

Most romance cliches I am not really a fan of, but I do like the hate-to-love romance troupe. (Mr. Darcy and Lizzy, anyone?) I sometimes adore love-at-first-sight, if it’s done well. A lot of it depends on the characters and how the story unfolds. 😄 The love stories I adore are the slow burning romances, where people come to respect and love each other over a period of time. (Also, stories where childhood friends grow up and marry each other…aghhh! So precious.❤️)

What about you? What are some romance cliches that you like?

Ariel Ashira
      @ashira

I like having a story that is already full enough of action and a strong plot that it doesnt rely on romance to give it substance or make it interesting – that way when you add some romance its just really satistfying and totally exciting.

"No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how hard you fall, you are never out of the fight."

SeekJustice
      @seekjustice

@rochellaine @eden-anderson

*cough*

I kinda like the love triangle. I mean, a certain kind of love triangle. If done well. Then I like it.

I’m not really a fan of most other romance tropes but if played well, the love triangle can work.

Crazy INFP, writer, dancer, musical fanatic.
      Seek justice, love mercy, walk humbly with your God

Eden Anderson
      @eden-anderson

@ashira

Yeah, I agree! (Although I do like books where romance is the main plot…I dunno, like both. 😛)

@seekjustice

Hey, if it’s done well, than okay, that’s fine. I might even like it. But I’ve read to many books where love triangles were just annoying. 🙃

valtmy
      @valtmy

@eden-anderson @rochellaine @ashira

I love romance! And love triangles. Provided that all the parties involved behave like sensible adults.

I agree that there has to be more at stake in the story than whether the couple gets together or not.

@seekjustice

What do you mean by “a certain kind of love triangle”?

E. Veryone
        @e_elaine_soup5

my favorite troupe is the “Absolutely-in-love-have-no-eyes-for-anyone-else” type of thing

I also like the hate-to-love thing too

SeekJustice
        @seekjustice

@valtmy

I’ve heard some people refer to it as the Jane Austen love triangle. I’m not really sure how to explain it without writing an essay, but essentially there’s the two options, but the heroine isn’t wishywashy between the two, like in most modern novels, but is a choice between good and bad, though its not usually obvious which is which.

Or the A likes B but B likes C sort of love triangle.

Crazy INFP, writer, dancer, musical fanatic.
        Seek justice, love mercy, walk humbly with your God

E. Veryone
        @e_elaine_soup5

*nodds*

I get that

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 342 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Learn What Readers Want

We compiled and analyzed how 300+ readers answered 18 questions about what they want to see in fiction. Get the free e-book and we'll also regularly send you resources to help you grow as a writer.

Signup Source

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest