For All The Historical Fictioners

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions For All The Historical Fictioners

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 434 total)
  • Author
    Ariel Ashira
    @ashira

@eden-anderson @samantha-pen Hi, guys!ย  I have missed this thread. ๐Ÿ™‚

"No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how hard you fall, you are never out of the fight."

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@ashira

Yeah, me too.

*wipes away a tear*

Ya’ll are so awesome…we really need to revive this thread!

"But how could you live and have no story to tell?" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Samantha Farrar
    @samantha-pen

@ashiraย @eden-anderson

We do!! I love geeking out about history and books and to plot scheme with an awesome group of girls.๐Ÿ’•

We shall revive history and this thread!!!๐Ÿ“œโœ’ (by the power of the pen ๐Ÿ™‚ and awesome community we hereby set out!!)

*A passionate ENFP author, in training for Christ.*

Ariel Ashira
    @ashira

@eden-anderson @samantha-pen Let the Historical Fictioners RISE!!

"No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how hard you fall, you are never out of the fight."

Selah CJW
    @selah-chelyah

YES!! (As I can, I have a lot of beta reading and writing I am doing…)

Assistant Guildmaster of the Phantom Awesome Meraki
    ~ Created to create ~

Chelsea R.H.
    @seekjustice

@selah-chelyah @eden-anderson @ashira @rochellaine @scarletimmortalized @samantha-pen (have I forgotten anyone?)

Okay, let’s revive ๐Ÿ˜›

How about we have a discussion about movies? I know we all like to pick apart the historical movies, but what historical movies have you enjoyed watching?

At the moment, one of my favourites is The King’s Speech. Its got a few flaws, but for the most part it’s brilliant.

And a few other historical movies I like…Unbroken, Hacksaw Ridge, Chariots of Fire, Les Miserables, Little Dorrit, A Tale Of Two Cities (the 1958 version is my favourite), The Guernsey Literary (etc) Society.

Those are a few historical movies I’ve seen and loved. What about you?

(And what ones do you hate?)

Mahalo keia huiสปana

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@seekjustice

Oh, I’m not a super big movie watcher…but I still have favorites. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Les Mis, The Scarlet and the Black, Gods and Generals (yes, I know, it’s a civil war documentary, but I still love it. ๐Ÿ˜›) Temple Grandin(๐Ÿ˜) and if Little Dorrit counts then can I please say North and South?

Now for ones I hate…The Oath of Desormeau. I seriously got a headache from watching that movie because the quality was so bad. And the acting…oh help! The whole thing was just the apitamy of cheesy. ๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„

I watched more than my share of stupid, independent Christian films. Give me a break! ๐Ÿคฎ

"But how could you live and have no story to tell?" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Ariel Ashira
    @ashira

@seekjustice I watched a Roy Rogers movie with my sister the other day, and it had a lot of indians in it.ย  After doing so much research on indians for one of my WIPs I like could not find a single thing they did right…and the actors were pathetic as well. ๐Ÿ˜› I got a headache from how unrealistic it was…none of that could have ever happened!

I think you already know what my favorite movie is…. ๐Ÿ˜€

Selah CJW
    @selah-chelyah

@seekjusticeย  @ashira (So did I, BTW!)

One of my favorite movies is called “Come What May”, made by the students at Patrick Henry College in VA. Also love the movie “Courageous”!!

One of the dumbest movies I have seen is “The Lost Medallion”. SO ridiculous! Anyway….. ๐Ÿ˜€

~ Created to create ~

ScarletImmortalized
    @scarletimmortalized

@seekjustice

Ooh I love Les Mis…but musical version and book will always be my favorite (even though I have hard times with musical casting). I loved the movie casting, but unfortunately the music…*shudders* are we talking about the new one? If not I like the old movie way better. I need to see Hacksaw Ridge, and I like the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.

I really love War Horse…Also I just watched Dunkirk. It was good, however I have a bone to pick with the all the time/scene skips/jumps with the fact the two main characters looked like twins and I couldn’t tell them apart. Ooh I also like the Red Baron. Flyboys….I mostly watch documentaries…its rare I get a war movie…I have to get rid of my mom and sister and nab dad for the evening.

I have a lot of problems with shows that have historically inaccurate clothing. Like….she wouldn’t be showing that much of her chest in that time period unless she was of ill repute. I despise romantic shows. (I’m sorry I know I’m that weird chick that wants a war movie not a chick flick)

OH and it wasn’t a movie but I just read this ww2 book. It was as if the author shoved modern day problems (the mc not being able to connect with his father) into the 40s. Also the mc came from a poor family (post depression may I remind ya’ll) but spent his family’s money on stupid things (like a suit for the dance to impress a dumb girl). AAH

Sorry rant over ๐Ÿ˜€

โ€œScarlet, What are you eating?โ€ ~ โ€œGhost peppers...โ€ ~ Robin sighed.

WisdomOfProse
    @wisdomofprose

@wisdomofprose Hey! I just read your profile. You like The Bronze Bow! And The Golden Goblet! Have you read anything else by Elizabeth George Speare or Eloise Jarvis McGraw!? I love those authors.

@ashira

Hi Ashira!

Please forgive me for not answering earlier! These last weeks have been crazy for me!

Thank you! I do love both books! I love the depth of the Characters and how dynamic they are in the Bronze Bow. And Eloise Jarvis McGraw has such a vivid style and love of gritty characters – her books feel SO real, even if certain details are speculation! I’m always transported to Ancient Egypt in The Golden Goblet!

I read The Sign of the Beaver a number of years ago…I think I liked it, but I’m afraid I can’t remember ๐Ÿ™ . I read part of Mara Daughter of the Nile but wasn’t able to finish it…I might just make it a New Year’s Resolution ๐Ÿ˜‰

By the way, I’d seen your signature quote a while ago and thought it sounded familiar…but I thought that since I didn’t know a lot of people who had watched Beyond the Mask, It was probably from a book that also had that quote. Then the other day, you posted that your favorite movie WAS Beyond the Mask! I’m so glad! I like that movie very much, too!

https://delightfullyimagin.wixsite.com/shirarodriguez

Selah CJW
      @selah-chelyah

@seekjustice

I bet Unbroken is an amazing movie…the book is simply remarkable. Have you read the book? Laura Hillenbrand did a great job writing the story!

~ Created to create ~

Ariel Ashira
      @ashira

@wisdomofprose YES!ย  Have you read Mara Daughter of the Nile or Moccasin Trail by Mcgraw?ย  I like them even better than the Golden Goblet!ย  (And no problem…life happens, I get it!)

Chelsea R.H.
      @seekjustice

@selah-chelyah

Its a great movie ๐Ÿ™‚ I started reading the book, but I didn’t finish, so its still on my To Be read list.

Mahalo keia huiสปana

Selah CJW
      @selah-chelyah

@seekjustice

Cool! I would love to see it, though I am sure it is rather intense…sometimes those can be the best movies anyway.

~ Created to create ~

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 434 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
    Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest