For All The Historical Fictioners

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions For All The Historical Fictioners

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 434 total)
  • Author
    Selah CJW
    @selah-chelyah

@seekjustice  Yeah, I agree! And look up the Wikipedia page for the book “Catch 22” if you want. It is a good synopsis, and I do not have time to write about it on here. Sounds very interesting. 🙂

@ashira
      I solved something?!?!?!? 😛

Assistant Guildmaster of the Phantom Awesome Meraki
    ~ Created to create ~

Samantha Farrar
    @samantha-pen

@valtmy @selah-chelyah @ashira @wisdomofprose @rochellaine @scarletimmortalized @eden-anderson @libby @seekjustice

Hey everyone,

It’s been a while so I wanted to stop in and say to all my hisfic friends!!! It’s Thanksgiving here (in the US) today. Which I’m guessing most of you already know XD So Thanks again for the great community your prayers sharing your dreams and geeking out with me xD

Thanksgiving was actually not a declared a holiday or hardly celebrated at all after the first Feast in the “New Land” until 1863.  Imagine the middle of the Civil War, a time when we had lost so much our country unstable your brother’s father’s out on the battlefield or worse yet missing, dead. Your family torn to shreds over the slavery debate and you just wish the whole thing was over with. One thing’s for sure you weren’t really in the mood to celebrate. Then the fast aging, sad and worn President stands up and says{ hey, I declare a national holiday.} Because he saw that even in the worst of times it is so important to step back and be thankful for what we have. We come into this world tiny bundles of perfection and then we go through life it’s sorrow joys and pains and we emerge as something not perfect but supremely beautiful. Our lives may be fraught with sorrow pain and disease but today we look to God and say “thank you for loving me, for this beautiful messed up life and hope for so much more…

So If I calculated right I think today is the 155th anniversary of the national Thanksgiving holiday!!! 155 years of blessing unimaginable and a national day to stuff yourselves full of turkey potatoes and pie. 155 five days set apart to thank God for the harvest family and your home in what form that may be. May we not just be thankful once a year but our hearts overflow every day with praise and thankfulness. For we have an amazing God!! 

Ps: Sorry if I didn’t tag you my computer was acting kinda wonky!!!

*A passionate ENFP author, in training for Christ.*

Ariel Ashira
    @ashira

@samantha-pen Thank you so much!  That was encouraging!

Ooh, I didn’t know that it was not a national holiday until 1863…that is really cool!

I really like the quote!

"No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how hard you fall, you are never out of the fight."

Selah CJW
    @selah-chelyah

@samantha-pen

Wow! That is pretty amazing! Thank you for sharing…. hope we all have a wonderful and blessed Thanksgiving this year, full of thanks to the Lord!  🙂

Assistant Guildmaster of the Phantom Awesome Meraki
    ~ Created to create ~

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@samantha-pen

Okay, so I’m finally getting around to my plot again…sorry for the wait and thanks for being so patient.

You said: “So I might come up with some pretty weird ideas.” Most of my own ideas are weird (or worse lame) so I’m not worried. 😉

To answer your questions: (and your making me think really hard, by the way…which is not necessarily fun, but its very good for me. 😛)

1. As far as Mr.Carter and plot holes, how come he pays attention to her? Is it her aunts social standing??

In my original plot, Mr. Carter and Mr. Davis are actually friends. They come to Norwalk together to visit Mr. Davis’ relatives…and that’s how Mr. Carter finds out about Allison-through Mr. Davis.

As for the Hobb aunts, they are fairly well-to-do socially. Their fairly revered in Norwalk…their deceased father left them a good inheritance and their brother, who is also dead, left them well-off financially. So, Mr. Carter and the Hobb sisters would have moved in the same social circles.

(Is that a good enough answer?)

You said: “Oh, as far as Mr. Emmons declaring his feelings. Maybe Allison doesn’t respond positively immediately be. cause she is so upset about Mr.Carter and what her parents and Aunts have put her through.”

I like that idea! A lot. 😀

2. When she breaks up with Mr.Carter is he nice to her as a friend or is it a sudden break off because the truth comes out and he just leaves.

Uh…heh,heh. Well, didn’t actually think about this much. I kinda just had this idea that he kinda just faded out of the picture…left and didn’t come back and was therefore out of the picture for Mr. Emmons to move in.

3. How do they find out his secret anyhow? does his fiance come to town, do they catch him with her, does Allison run into her somewhere? Or does Mr.Emmons maybe tell her?

Well, since this wasn’t my original idea…I have no idea. Any suggestions from you or @seek-justice since it was you idea. 😀

Personally, I like the idea of Mr. Emmons telling her. What do ya’ll think?

3. Do her aunts get along with each other or do they fight?

They get along fairly well…although they are prone to arguing with one another. This whole ordeal with Allison kinda ties them all in knots. The oldest and youngest of the Hobb sisters are the dumb ones, Bernice and Mary. Roberta, who people believe to be addled, is the middle sister, but she is sweet and good-hearted and just wants the best for Allison. I describe her like this: “She is steady when the world is turning upside down. When her sisters fly into hysteric’s, Roberta soothes their nerves and as everything falls to pieces about her, she smiles knowingly and puts the tea onto brew.” That’s the type of person she is.

4. Do they take turn’s picking suitors or collectively pick each one?

Bernice, the oldest sister, is very headstrong and stubborn and very much the leader. So they pick out the suitors together, but she leads the whole rigamarole. Roberta doesn’t have much to say in the matter, she just goes along because she is very loyal and is afraid of making her sisters angry.

You said: “I think maybe there are some aspects of her life in the city she should like though she didn’t think she would and some random fun stuff(cause it’s comedy) that she would absolutely hate- besides her suitor life.”

Good idea…I really like that.

5. How does the family react to Allison’s engagement to Mr. Emmons? Do they embrace it cause they see her happiness maybe still shun it and she has to kind convince them but they aren’t entirely convinced?

Mr. Moore is fine with it in the fact that Allison is happy. He adores his only daughter and wants only her happiness. He is a little concerned with the financial stability of Mr. Emmons and how well he can provide for her. At first he’s kinda shocked by Allison’s choice and is fairly hesitant about the whole thing, but in the end he’s supportive of her, at least to a degree.

Mrs. Moore has a complete melt-down. Throws fits and says she’s gonna die. Because of this everybody feels horrible, especially Allison and it’s one of the main reasons Allison is hesitant to marry Mr. Emmons. Allison hates how manipulative her mother is, but she loves her and wants to please her, so when her mother gets so angry over their engagement, she feels bad. (Any suggestions on how I should resolve this…or should I resolve it at all? Life is hard sometimes and we hurt the people we love…should I bring this out in my story? What do you think?)

Charles Moore likes Mr. Emmons, although like his father, he wishes that Allison could have chosen a more “respectable” gentleman. Even so, he supports Allison.

The aunts kinda respond like Mrs. Moore. Crying and wailing and then giving Allison the cold shoulder than scolding her and telling her what a bad girl she is.

6. Where would her and Mr.Emmons move to if they got married?

Actually didn’t think that far. Maybe New York? I don’t know why. Any suggestions?

I understand that this is probebly taking up a considerable amount of your time…so please, please tell me when your done and don’t want to keep going. I’ve been enjoying this and you have some awesome thoughts…but I’ll quit when you do. No pressure AT ALL.

And if it takes you a month to respond…that’s totally fine. 😀

"But how could you live and have no story to tell?" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@selah-chelyah

Why thank you!! I take that as I compliment. 😀

1. Is Mr. Carter honorable?

Yes, he is.

You said: “Because if he was, then he would not be engaged to someone else and do that to Allison. In that case, I would think something like an accident in which Mr. Carter cares only for his safety and Mr. Emmons (who is probably on the sidelines) rescues or helps someone and gains her respect. It could be an unrelated accident as well, say Mr. Carter takes Allison out walking and someone falls into the frozen river and can`t swim, as they witness it. Mr. Carter does not even take notice of “the poor chimneysweep” or whatever lowly person it was who fell in, but Mr. Emmons jumps in and saves him. (Perhaps his shop is beside the river and he hears the shouts of the drowning man.)”

So, just to clarify, if I do follow through with the plot line that Mr. Carter is already engaged then he would be super hesitant to court Allison, but is basically shoved into the relationship by the aunts and isn’t able to explain about his engagement with the other girl.

I’m trying to decide between my original plot and @seekjustice  idea. Because I really love her idea. 😀

Also, can someone please explain to this confused little individual how to quote someone? Like when you want to quote somebody who posted earlier in the thread? I’m tired of copying and pasting and having to write, “you said.” How do you do this?

I know, I know…I’m the most tech savvy person. Sorry. 😜

Chelsea R.H.
    @seekjustice

@eden-anderson

How to quote someone…

On the format bar, there’s first the B for bold, then I for italic and next to that is a set of quotation marks. You copy what you need, then click on the quote button and paste it.

If you want to quote a whole post, right at the top of a published post,beneath the date stamp, are two buttons saying Reply|Quote.

(And thank you, I love my idea too 😛 )

Mahalo keia huiʻana

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@seekjustice

Duh…that is so obvious. *eye roll at myself*

Thanks!!

WisdomOfProse
    @wisdomofprose

@samantha-pen

Thank you for the post! I saw it on Thanksgiving but could write back at the moment. It can be so easy to forget why this holiday is actually here and the history behind it amid the busyness! (The turkey! the stuffing! The gravy! Oh my! LOL 🙂 )

Forgive me, I meant to write earlier on your post about your college placement test. Just wanted to let you know I’ve been praying for you! Here is a verse that has helped me so very much if I ever get nervous, especially when facing these kinds of things.

“The king’s heart is in the hand of the Lord,
      Like the rivers of water;
      He turns it wherever He wishes.” Proverbs 21:1

https://delightfullyimagin.wixsite.com/shirarodriguez

Ariel Ashira
      @ashira

@wisdomofprose Love your profile pic!  Its so cute.

"No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how hard you fall, you are never out of the fight."

Ariel Ashira
      @ashira

@wisdomofprose Hey!  I just read your profile.  You like The Bronze Bow!  And The Golden Goblet!  Have you read anything else by Elizabeth George Speare or Eloise Jarvis McGraw!?  I love those authors.

Samantha Farrar
      @samantha-pen

@eden-anderson

I don’t know what else to tell you about your plot seriously it sounds pretty great!!! I guess what’s left is writing out a chapter by chapter basic outline and getting started. If you are not sure about a particular idea write down both I think it would be fine to decide later. It can sometimes help to know what to do after you start writing about a character. (writing about a character is one of the best ways to get to know them.

Another helpful thing might be to make a card for each character with their “story goal” their “story block” their “weakness” “strengths” “general appearance” and then do a similar thing for each chapter with how the cast is helping and or blocking the protagonist.

I hope that helps. Good luck writing!!

Ps. I’m sorry I took so long to respond.

Samantha Farrar
      @samantha-pen

@valtmy @selah-chelyah @ashira @wisdomofprose @rochellaine @scarletimmortalized @eden-anderson @libby @seekjustice

I’m glad you guys liked the Thanksgiving post!!! It was so much fun to write, I was in one of those I must write moods. And who doesn’t love fun history facts😊

Speaking of fun history facts,  I found this really cool story the other day in a world war II book I’m reading. I think you guys would enjoy it!!! Patriotism is not limited to humans!

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/wojtek-bear-named-second-world-war-film-polish-soldiers-monte-cassino-snowman-private-army-carried-a8553001.html

Eden Anderson
      @eden-anderson

@samantha-pen

Okay! The character cards sound like a really great idea!

Thank you so much for all the time and energy you spent on helping me with this!! I really appreciate your willingness because this sort of thing can really eat up time. I am really indebted to you…you made me think about my plot and helped me realize plot holes and issues with my characters! Thank you from the bottom of my heart! ❤

And if you ever want advice or an opinion on a story of yours I would love to try and help!

And it’s okay that you didn’t get back for awhile…I completely understand. ☺

That is an awesome story!! Wojtek was so darling…like who ever heard of a bear saluting?😍 I love stories like that…thanks for sharing!

Samantha Farrar
      @samantha-pen

@eden-anderson

Actually, I could use a little help. I have a flashback scene in my book that I just rewrote super roughly and would love some ideas on how to improve it!!!

IKR…Wojtek was such an amazing story and how cool is it that he wasn’t just a mascot but worked on the battlefield with them.

The character cards are amazing my brother helped me make them when I was about where you are with your story, writing Courage For A Nation. Seriously between doing that and doing basic chapter outlines, it brought me a long way!! Even after going through the whole OYAN course.

Oh, thanks!! It was my pleasure I love plotting and planning stories. I can’t wait to see what you do!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 434 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
    Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest