FIRST SE FICTION STORY: RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARC

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions FIRST SE FICTION STORY: RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARC

This topic contains 173 replies, has 36 voices, and was last updated by  Anne of Lothlorien 2 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 174 total)
  • Author

Mariposa Aristeo
    @mariposa

Hi everyone! With this new forum up and running, Aberdeen thought he should write a story about its utter epicness. Please forgive any typos (his short arms make it hard for him to type). Okay, everyone, here it is—the first SE fiction story! *insert epic Indiana Jones music*

Tagging some people who are mentioned in the story (and some who aren’t 😜). @josiah @christieaton @snapper @daeus-lamb @hope-ann @sam-kowal @overcomer @j-a-penrose @gabriellepollack @brandon-miller @scribbles @ethryndal

RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARC

Part 1

Pennsylvania Graf burst into the cavern, dangling from a rope. He slowly slid down and waited for the others to follow.

“Hey, you coming?” he shouted, popping some cool beans into his mouth.

Christi jumped down. “Where’s Storm?”

“Here I am!” she thundered, appearing in a poof of smoke.

“Hey, you’re not supposed to do that. This is an action-adventure story, not fantasy.” Pennsylvania crossed his arms.

“I can do whatever I want, can’t I Edna?” She gingerly petted the creature on her shoulder. Storm called it a piguirrel, and it resembled a guinea pig with a fluffy, squirrel-like tail.

“Fine,” Pennsylvania grunted, grabbing a torch from the wall. “Follow me.”

The three trekked into the dark hallway as Edna twitched her tail. A few minutes later, they reached what seemed to be a dead end.

Pennsylvania shined the light on the wall and pointed to the hieroglyphics. “Hey, can you read this?”

Storm leaned over, grabbing a blood-red chisel from her violet satchel. She started etching into the wall.

Pennsylvania furrowed his brows. “What are you doing?”

“There’s a typo.”

Pennsylvania sighed. “Hey, can’t you just read it? We’re so close to the treasure!”

She shook her head and continued chiseling while Edna glared at Pennsylvania for his impatience.

“I think it says to pull the jewel out of the frog’s crown and entrance will be granted,” Christi told him. “But…what frog?”

They studied the dead end until it couldn’t get any deadlier.

“Hey, this looks like a frog.” Pennsylvania reached out.

Storm gasped. “Pennsylvania, no—”

Giant pencils sprung up from the floor and nearly stabbed Pennsylvania’s arm. He leaped to the left, dodging between the pencils.

“Are you okay?” Christi gathered up all the ramen noodles that had fallen out of his pocket.

“I’m fine,” he assured her, glancing at the ceiling. “Hey, there’s the frog!”

The crown was just of his reach, so Edna jumped onto his head and took out the jewel for him. “I’ve gotta get me one of these pigurriels,” Pennsylvania said.

Dust sprinkled off the ceiling and coated them like powdered donuts. The ground shook and the wall opened into a giant room filled with skeletons of dead writers and ancient carvings.

They wrinkled their noses.

“What’s that putrid smell? It reminds me of coffee.” Pennsylvania crept forward, cautiously stepping on each stone. Who knew what boobytraps could be waiting for them. He ascended the steps. A golden frog sat on a pedestal just waiting for someone like him to take it. He pulled out a bag of dust, preparing to switch the two. He hoped the change of weight wouldn’t set off another trap. He took a deep breath and placed his hand on the frog. In less than a split second, he swapped the two out.

“Phew.” He put the frog in his jacket. “That was close.”

Boom! Suddenly a gigantic scoop of ice cream barreled toward them. They scrambled down and raced through the hallway with the scoop trailing behind them. The ground trembled and the floor in front of them sunk, creating a gap.

“Jump!” Pennsylvania yelled.

Christi shook her head. “It’s too far, we’ll never make it!”

The scoop would squash them any minute. He had to do something and fast. He started dialing 911 but his phone battery died. He clenched his fists. He didn’t have time to give his phone a funeral. “Hey, I know!” His eyes lit up and he let out a loud whistle. A dragon’s foot broke through the ceiling.

“Melt that scoop!” Pennsylvania commanded.

The dragon sprayed fire, reducing it to a milky puddle.

“I thought you said this was an action-adventure story?” Storm tapped her foot in the sticky puddle, coating Pennsylvania’s boots in cream.

Pennsylvania shrugged, licking the sweetness off his shoes. “Hey, I don’t care about logic when a person’s life is at stake.”

He turned to the dragon and saluted. “Nice work, Snapper!”

Snapper sneezed and made the scoop into fried ice cream, then flew off. The trio climbed out into the daylight. An arrow shot past them into the rainforest, barely missing them. The natives of the land, who were referred to as KP (short for Kooky People), charged out of the leaves, bearing weapons.

“Give that frog back! It’s ours!” they demanded, flinging a club at Pennsylvania’s head.

“Never!” Pennsylvania grinned and tossed the frog to Storm, who then dashed away.

“After them!” The natives pounded toward them. Pennsylvania, Storm, and Christi dove from the incoming spears as Edna tossed nuts at the natives.

“Hey, we’re almost there!” Pennsylvania splashed through the stream to where he’d left Burferd. But Burferd wasn’t there. “Burferd!”

Pennsylvania glanced behind. The natives were closing in on them. “Burferd!”

His trusty triceratops bounded out of the forest to his side. Sweet tea dripped down his chin.

Pennsylvania hopped on his back. “Burferd, I’ve told you a million times not to visit McDonald’s! It’s a bad influence!”

Burferd hung his head in shame.

Christi climbed on. “Aren’t you coming?”

Storm shook her head. “I’ll take my flying four-wheeler instead.”

“Suit yourself.” Pennsylvania shrugged as Burferd charged away from the natives and toward safety.

“And that’s how I captured a 2,000-year-old artifact.” Pennsylvania held out the frog for his class to admire.

“Cool.” Sam grinned, petting Stan. “Is it really made of gold?”

Pennsylvania set it back on his desk. “No, it’s actually decrepit plastic. Still very valuable though.”

Mallory raised her hand. “Why are the KP people so obsessed with frogs?”

Pennsylvania scratched his head. “I’m not entirely sure. Legend has it that their ancient Queen, Danielle, bestowed it on some literary genius for his wordly acts of valor.”

Penrose pursed her lips. “My history book says he always had the frog and that he was the one who bestowed it on worthy individuals.”

Pennsylvania shrugged. “Hey, I can’t get everything right.”

The bell rang and his students stampeded out, chattering about what he had taught them that day. He started gathering up his papers and was about to leave when a mysterious looking woman in a black cape tapped him on the shoulder.

“Can I help you?”

She looked up and down the hallway as if searching for spies. “I hear you’re an archeologist.”

Pennsylvania lifted an eyebrow, wondering why she had so many cheese curds stuffed in her cape.

“I need you to find something for me. Writers have been digging for it for pages, and most have given it up for lost. I nearly had too, until I found this.” She pulled out a figurine from inside her cape.

Pennsylvania gasped, grasping the figurine in his hand. He’d been searching for a clue like this his whole life. “Where’d you find this?”

“Follow me,” she said, leading him down into the school basement.

To be continued…

Brianna Storm Hilvety
    @briannastorm

@mariposa *Can’t breathe*

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

The opening has so many good parts…but I think this is my favorite:

Pennsylvania shined the light on the wall and pointed to the hieroglyphics. “Hey, can you read this?”

Storm leaned over, grabbing a blood-red chisel from her violet satchel. She started etching into the wall.

Pennsylvania furrowed his brows. “What are you doing?”

“There’s a typo.”

Pennsylvania sighed. “Hey, can’t you just read it? We’re so close to the treasure!”

She shook her head and continued chiseling while Edna glared at Pennsylvania for his impatience.

Wielder of a Red Pen | TheLiteraryCrusader.com

Brandon Miller
    @brandon-miller

“There’s a typo.”

I saw this line as I was scrolling through the email notif and was like, “oh, Brianna.”  😛

Then in the story… I laughed out loud.

And then laughed again when I saw it again to copy it.

Well done!

---
    Fair Winds and Following Seas,
    Brandon Miller -- Wesley Turner

Rachel Rogers
    @scribbles

1. I love you and your stories, @mariposa !!! 😀 You’re awesome. <3 <3 <3

2. PIGUIRREL! I can’t stop laughing. And it gets better every time I read it. XD I really want to know more of Storm and Edna’s backstory. 😛 Sounds like Edna is really useful with those jewel-grabbing and nut-throwing skills. 😉

@briannastorm

Ambivert, bibliomaniac, scribbler, collector of furry family members, secretly Edna the Piguirrel

overcomer
    @overcomer

I can’t believe I am finally a character in a story! I even have a line! It’s a dream come true. Thanks, @mariposa . 😀

This was fun to read. 🙂 My favorite part was when the giant scoop of ice cream almost took out our friends… wait, that didn’t come out right. 😉 I like ice cream.

Sarah Baran
      @ethryndal

@mariposa Oh man. You did the first Story Embers fanfiction proud. 😂😂😂

INTJ ➸ https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Ben P
      @supermonkey42

@mariposa XD This is…better than amazing.

Pennsylvania Graf! I didn’t know @josiah had it in him.

This site just keeps getting better….

The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think on

Daeus Lamb
        @daeus-lamb

@mariposa Ha! Delightful. 🙂

😀
        👕👍
        👖 🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Rachel Rogers
        @scribbles

@mariposa @briannastorm

Okay, so I was rereading this…because reasons…and I was imagining a little piguirrel resembling “a guinea pig with a fluffy, squirrel-like tail”…

…and I realized…

THOSE ACTUALLY EXIST:

😀

Ambivert, bibliomaniac, scribbler, collector of furry family members, secretly Edna the Piguirrel

J.A.Penrose
        @j-a-penrose

Oh goodness! xD I love it @mariposa. And we always love a convenient dragon to save us. *nodnod*

Writer | Freelance editor
        Inspiration

Brianna Storm Hilvety
        @briannastorm

@scribbles Piguirrels are cousins to chinchillas. Their tails are bushier and their ears smaller. Or at least that’s how I imagine them. @mariposa is the authority on this subject. 😛

Wielder of a Red Pen | TheLiteraryCrusader.com

Hope Ann
        @hope-ann

This is awesome in so many ways. XD

The most important step a man can take is always the next one.

Gabrielle Pollack
        @gabriellepollack

@mariposa Oh. My. Glory. XD XD XD

Beautiful.

Mariposa Aristeo
        @mariposa

@briannastorm *calls 911* Are you fine now? 😜 I’ll have to be careful with those typos for the sake of your health.

@brandon-miller Thank you. *bows* More epicness is yet to come (featuring you). 😉

@scribbles I am (I mean Aberdeen is 😉) honored for such high praise. Hmmm….chinchillas… *scratches chin* You just gave me an idea…

You’re muchly welcome, @overcomer! If you had to pick one other food to appear in this story besides ice cream, what would you pick? 🙂

@ethryndal Oh, look Aberdeen! We got the elf’s stamp of approval!

@supermonkey42 Thanks! Be on the lookout for more Pennsylvania Graf adventures!

@daeus-lamb BE PREPARED…your turn is coming. 😁

@j-a-penrose Thank you muchly! SE dragons are always helpful. 😋

@hope-ann Thank you, wielder of the cheese curds!

@gabriellepollack Hehehe. Your turn is coming… 😉

Hope Ann
        @hope-ann

I mean, it’s the custard that’s really good. But cheese curds aren’t half bad. 😛

The most important step a man can take is always the next one.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 174 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Learn What Readers Want

We compiled and analyzed how 300+ readers answered 18 questions about what they want to see in fiction. Get the free e-book and we'll also regularly send you resources to help you grow as a writer.

Signup Source

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest