fb

Finding You( Chapter 8) Roger

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Finding You( Chapter 8) Roger

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Katthewriter
    @katthewriter

I put this here because I’m not sure which of the genre posts it should be in cuz I’m not sure of the genre at the moment.

@dakota
    @emberynus-the-dragonslayer @kari-karast (can you tag anyone who might be interested in it? ) @anyone else

FINDING YOU 

Chapter 8

Roger

I kneeled there, almost frozen in shock until she fell asleep. I felt numb, and tingly as I slowly rose to my feet. My legs feeling stiff as I tiptoed out the door, closing it with a soft click.

I clenched my fists trying to stop my hands from shaking.

She was scared of me, terrified.

Like I was trying to kill her, horrified.

What had they done to her that made her like that?

The thought was too painful to even think about.

I walked back and forth from the kitchen to the living room, brows furrowed in concentration. How can I help her, when she won’t let me? She’s so terrified she almost stops breathing. So terrified. Of me. Like I was the scariest monster. Was I becoming one?  

As I again passed through the kitchen my stomach rumbled, grumbling at me for not having fed it anything since breakfast. I stopped my pacing. Food. Did they give her any food at all? From the looks, and the feel of how light she was, answered that in the negative. Or they just barely gave her enough to keep from starving to death. She needed food.

Kneeling down, I looked through the boxes on the lower shelves. Potatoes. Carrots. Onions. And there was deer out in the back. Just enough things to make a stew.

Grabbing a large pitcher from the corner I headed out the back door, towards the large stone well. Without looking back, I knew Maggie was following me, by the click, click of her nails on the ground. Stopping at the wells edge I looked down at Maggie. She sat down on her hunches, and whined softly, like she knew how much this was hurting me. I gently rubbed her slick black hair on her head, the scratching motion, mixing with her soft breaths, and the whistle of the wind relaxing me.

I moved my hands to the rope, lowering the bucket down to the water below. The bucket went in, making little splashes and ripples that made my reflection look different like someone else on the other side pulling it up. I could see her, the dark brown wavy hair, and the prettiest blue eyes, struggling to pull the bucket up she called.

“Roger… could you come and help…?”

I saw him walk over, young, neatly shaven, and well dressed. He put his hands over hers, pulling up the bucket of fresh water together.

As I pulled up the bucket, there was no other pair of soft hands helping me. There was no one. I was alone.

I held the bucket on the wells edge, and taking a scoop of water with the pitcher. Looking into it, again, I saw him. He saw her back turned to him. Talking to their small child of 4, it was the perfect opportunity. The child said “Thanks mommy!” And ran off, with the small black puppy following at her heels. Just as she turned around, he dumped the pitcher of water on her head. She yelled out, whacking him, and grabbing the whole bucket, pouring it on him, laughing. They looked at each other, dripping wet and both started laughing.

The corners of my mouth twisted slightly up, but faded as the pictures in the water did too. Picking the pitcher up, I headed back to the house. If I closed my eyes, I could almost feel the grip of her hand holding mine, and hear the light trotting of the daughter, with the puppy in tow. But only almost. Only the walk of the old faithful dog was near me.

I got out a big pot, pouring the water in. Moving over to the fire, I moved the logs around, to get it up, and wide awake. I could barely feel the heat of it. Can I not feel anymore? Is that how monsters are?  

Hanging the pot over the fire I went and pulling out the vegetables, starting to slice them up. I wasn’t good at cutting vegetables, they got all wonky shapes. She knew that.

“No Roger, that’s not how you do it.”

I looked up quickly, jaw dropping. “J-jane…?”

She took them from me, and showing me how to do it correctly.

I reached out to touch her, but she vanished. Not real. Not really there. Just a memory. They came back, you could see them, but you could never actually feel them. Like looking through a window at it, seeing it, but not ever able to actual feel it or go to it.

Swallowing back tears, I finished cutting up the vegetables, and started putting them in the pot over the fire. I went out back, collecting chunks of dear meet, cutting that up as well and taking it to the kitchen. My mind felt sort of fuzzy, like I was walking in slow motion, from no sleep in the last thirty hours. Plopping the meat in the pot, some water splashed out, a drip landing on my hand. I jerked my hand back, expecting the sting. Looking down I saw a red mark starting to appear, but I couldn’t feel a thing. Do monsters not feel pain?

I threw an extra piece of meat into Maggie’s bowl. She, even in her old age of 9, sprang to her feet, and went over to quickly devour the tasty meat. I settled down on the floor near her. I did not feel up to, or even want to eat or think about eating. Is not eating something monsters do?

I rubbed my thumb along the wood floor, trying to think of something else as I waited on the stew. My eyes traveled to my sword. The one who had shed blood last night, and had made it where that person would never be seen again. Alive. Wasn’t that what monsters are? Bloodthirsty villains who kill anyone in their way? Monsters that give you horror, a monster that is terrifying..

“Stop!” I shouted, banging my fist down onto the ground, shaking my head, trying to force the words to get out of my mind.

I winced hoping I had not woke up the girl. How could I be so careless…? Where monsters so easy to anger?  

I felt something like a rock landing in my stomach, my mind flying back to many years ago. The young man was sitting here studying a map, trying to figure out where the men were from that he had seen near the river. Interrupting his deep thoughts was the small voice from the curly headed girl at my feet saying for the millionth time, “Can we go? Can we go?” Her voice banging in my head. “C’mon daddy, you promised we’d go in just a second, well now it’s up! So, can we go can we go!?”

“Stop!” he had yelled throwing down his fist on the ground. The girl had jumped, and cringed, fear coming to her eyes for the first time in the line of her father. She made a small nod, and ran to her mother.

I felt my chest ache, hurting for her. I didn’t mean to…

The mother had whispered, but loud enough for him to hear. “It’s okay darling, daddy’s dealing with some hard stuff right now, he just needs some time.  C’mon. I’ll take you to find some flowers.”

They walked out, hand and hand, as the man pressed his face into his hands.

I got up quickly, realizing the stew was boiling, and started to stir it, everything was starting to look done. Sitting the spoon down, I found two bowls, a larger one, and a smaller one. Throwing in some salt and pepper into the pot, I stirred it again. Picking up the big bowl, I spooned out food into it, until it was full to the rim. Then I filled up the small bowl, about halfway full.

I slowly carried it to her room, sneaking in, setting the steaming larg bowl on a chair beside her, with a spoon. Tiptoeing to the wardrobe, I found a dress that looked like it would fit her, and the proper undergarments. She needed something that was made for a girl, to wear. Folding those, I silently sat them on the chair by the stew and back out of the room. I would help her, feed her, take care of her, and protect her. But I would not let her see me.

I looked at her one last time before closing the door. She already has enough monsters in her life. She doesn’t need another.

Emberynus The Dragonslayer
    @emberynus-the-dragonslayer

@katthewriter

Cool!! What story is it from?

@naiya-dyani
      @abigail-rebekah  Hey, thought you might be interested in this

Sold souls and dead promises

Katthewriter
    @katthewriter

@katthewriter WOW!! looks super cool!!

Katthewriter
    @katthewriter

Roger’s CTS

Katthewriter
    @katthewriter
    Dakota
    @dakota

@katthewriter This is cool! I like it!!! 🙂  Thanks for tagging me.

Psalm 119:11
    Your word I have hidden in my heart,
    That I might not sin against You.

Katthewriter
    @katthewriter
    Abigail Rebekah
    @abigail-rebekah

Thanks for tagging me 🙂

It looks cool 🙂

~ Laugh. Drink Coffee. Smile. And Write ~

@abigail-rebekah You’re welcome!

Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

@katthewriter Wow! This is really good! I love it! If you post any more, please keep tagging me! (Is it a Beauty and the Beast retelling, by any chance?)

"You can dance with my henchman."

Katthewriter
    @katthewriter

@kari-karast

Thanks!  I’m actually at chapter 12 in this story, so yes i can post more.

And..no. it’s not xD Roger is in his 40’s and the girl is 16. There’s also another MC. It switches from the 3 POV’s of the MC’s

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Katthewriter.
    Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

@katthewriter

That would be awesome!

Oh. *nods* Definitely don’t make it a retelling, then. XP The tone just reminded me of the Beauty and the Beast fairytale, so I was wondering.

"You can dance with my henchman."

Katthewriter
    @katthewriter

@kari-karast

Aww, thanks!  I thought no one liked this story anymore so i didn’t think it was worth writing 🙂 so I’m glad you like it!

I think i posted a few of the earlier chapters on here a loooonggg time ago that i can find and tag you to do you’ll be more confused xP

Okay! XD

Katthewriter
    @katthewriter
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest