fb

Finding time to write

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Finding time to write

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Hope Ann
    @hope-ann

Question from Callie today!

How do I find time for writing when I’m working (online) and at school (online) and trying to survive all the time? Just some tips would be helpful…

Beyond figuring out where writing fits into priorities, do you have any time-saving or time-gaining tricks you use for writing?

Victory in the march. Hope in the destination.

Josiah DeGraaf
    @josiah

I’ve always found that just sitting down and making a schedule does wonders for my writing life. Intentional planning takes you further than an unintentional “I’ll write if I find time for it” mindset.

Lit fanatic. Eclectic reader. Theology nerd. Writing fantasy at https://josiahdegraaf.com

I know I’m still a nubby at writing myself, but I’ve had this same problem this summer because I’ve gotten really busy.

One thing I’ve learned is: instead of going through the day thinking that I’ll write whenever I have a big chunk of free time, (which then ends up meaning right before bed), I try to take every spare second (not quite, but you get the point) and use it to write. I try to write a minimum of 100 words a day, which I can easily do, but I end up leaving it till the last minute, which just makes it more stressful. I tend to use little gaps in my day for reading, but I’ve learned it’s a whole lot wiser if I take the time for writing instead. Then if I still have time in the evening, I can read, but if not, that’s fine too. I love my reading, so it’s sorta hard for me to do the above, but it really is better than having to rush to write before I get into bed. I realize it’s probably harder for you because it may not be as easy to make more space or replace things with writing, but if there’s something like reading that you like to do but don’t have to, I’d advise you to replace it with writing.

Anyway, I know that wasn’t worded the best, and it may not work for you, but I hope it does! (Now I just need to put my own advice to use more often. Lol.) 😉 😛

Even the smallest person can change the course of the future. -JRR Tolkien

Arindown (Gracie)
    @arindown

Hmmm…good question. This is something I’ve struggled with.

The thing that has worked best for me is getting up early and writing for about an hour before the rest of the family gets up. I crawl out of bed, flip open my laptop, and get something done. I usually listen to music to block out the extra sound, curl up on the couch to stay comfortable, and keep a watch so that I know when my time’s up. Then, I just shut everything, and start my day, kinda as if I wasn’t already doing something.

If mornings don’t work for you, what other people said about setting a schedule is a really good idea. Writing has a way of always being in the back of your head, but never getting done.

Not all those who wander are lost.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest