fb

Favorite Titles?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Favorite Titles?

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    imwritehere1920
    @imwritehere1920

@taylorclogston

Thanks!  I’m not that familiar with karate, except that you earn different belts depending on how long you’ve trained…? (am I close?)

@rose-colored-fancy

You’re welcome!  Ooo, now I’m intrigued by your idea; do you have a name for your MC?

We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master. — Ernest Hemingway

Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

@imwritehere1920 More or less! You start out at 10th rank and then work up to 1st rank, then begin the black belt progression which unintuitively begins at 1st rank and moves upward from there. You have to demonstrate proficiency with a different set of martial arts skills and meet a standard of maturity to move to the next rank. I took karate for about nine years and reached 2nd kyu (ninth belt) but stopped when I started working. My brother, who was much better at it than me, stayed for about six more years and earned his 3rd dan (third degree of black belt) and taught a whole school for a while.

"...the one with whom he so sought to talk has already interceded for him." -The Master and Margarita

imwritehere1920
    @imwritehere1920

@taylorclogston

Awesome.  Thanks for explaining!

We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master. — Ernest Hemingway

Linyang Zhang
    @devastate-lasting

@taylorclogston Ah, time travel isn’t too big in it, just setting up the main plot. It’s more thriller. I haven’t watched the anime before, but I did enjoy the manga thoroughly. I’d say that usually the manga is better than the anime, though.

"I set a melody upon the scenery I saw outside my window;
    It's beginning in my spacy world."
    - TK

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@imwritehere1920

You’re welcome!  Ooo, now I’m intrigued by your idea; do you have a name for your MC?

Not yet, it’s barely an idea XD I only have a faint idea that I want it to be set in a port city, and it’s in an approximately Edwardian era. It’ll probably involve pirates and spies too XD

@olivia

Awesome! I love Katherine Rundell’s books so much, she has an awesome writing style, it feels so whimsical!

"Stories are light. Light is precious in a world so dark." The Tale of Despereaux

@rose-colored-fancy

Ya, she’s really good! What books of hers have you read? I’ve only read Rooftoppers and Cartwheeling in Thunderstorms.

Even the smallest person can change the course of the future. -JRR Tolkien

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@olivia

I’ve read the Rooftoppers and The Wolf Wilder. I loved both! I’m going to see if I can find her other books too! How did you like Cartwheeling in Thunderstorms?

The Wolf Wilder was really good! I loved it and I’m actually rereading it now.

"Stories are light. Light is precious in a world so dark." The Tale of Despereaux

@rose-colored-fancy

Cool! I’m thinking about buying a couple books for fun, since I haven’t in a long time and I’m considering getting one of her books. I liked both of the ones I read, so I’m sure I won’t be disappointed. Cartwheeling In Thunderstorms is good, though not quite as good as Rooftoppers. But still really good.

Haha, that’s funny.

Even the smallest person can change the course of the future. -JRR Tolkien

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Story Embers

Pin It on Pinterest