fb

Favorite Structures

Forums Poetry Poetry Discussions Favorite Structures

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Katherine Baker
    @kb-writer

Hello everyone!

I’m looking to challenge myself by using a poem structure I haven’t before/don’t use often/hardly ever see. I was wondering if you have any good ideas for that.

In case any of you have the same question (and for context as to what I’ve got), here are some off the top of my head:

Free prose. When you don’t really have a structure.

Example:

Dogs have a way with words. 

They hear them,

then they ignore them

how rude! – 

yet somehow, you still think they listen to you. 

I guess they have a way without words,

not with.

What would you say?

Or would you say anything at all? 

4-line prose. When each paragraph has four lines, and line 1 rhymes with line 3, and line 2 rhymes with line 4.

Example:

The Lily wakes to the morning sun

and sleeps to the night-light moon. 

So why do you wake when the day is done?

Rest won’t come if you don’t sleep real soon. 

5-line prose. When you rhyme longer lines 2 and 5 (and sometimes 1), and shorter lines 3 and 4.

Example:

Woe! The thunder shouts with rage!

Why waste time on the mast? 

You know, each hour

life’s in God’s power

And only through him can we last. 

I gave examples because I don’t know official names for different structures. I’m self-taught at poetry writing (by reading and cherishing its magic). And besides, who doesn’t want to write 3 short poems for examples? It’s fun!

Let me know if you all have any more fun ideas. I’m all ears!

God bless you!

Always remember you're unique...
    ...Just like everyone else

Libby
    @libby

@kb-writer I am also self-taught, so I will tag along to see other’s results.  I do tend to make up my own patterns sometimes, just for the fun of it.

"Young people, you must pray, for your passions are strong and your wisdom is little."C.H.Spurgeon

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@kb-writer I too am self-taught, but I have come up with a couple patterns.

However, my pattern is similar to your “5-line prose,” with a ABCCB rhyming pattern and it’s meter per lines being iambic with line 1,2, and 5 being the same length, and 3 and 4 being really short. How dare you steal my pattern!! 😉

Hey! Great minds think alike right? 🙂

My example: The Fight

Last Monday I was playing
    With all the toys I had
    Bob took a fall
    And broke my ball.
    I told him he was bad.

Overall when I want to mess with new patterns, I usually pull out a big book of poetry and pick one to copy the pattern of.

E. Grace
    @emgc

@evelyn @kb-writer

I think the “5-line prose” you guys use is actually called a Limerick- where lines A, B, and E rhyme and have the same amount of syllables, and lines C and D rhyme and have the same amount of syllables.  I’ve written a few, though I’m afraid I’m not much a poet… it was a writing exercise I had to do in middle school.

Great job, though! I always like to read other people’s poems, since I’m not very good at coming up with them myself.

"True humility is not thinking less of yourself; it is thinking of yourself less." - C. S. Lewis

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@emgc Oh cool! I’ll remember that name then.

E.B. Raulands
    @e-b-raulands

@kb-writer
    My favorite form to write in is the sonnet, which is a 14-line poem written in iambic pentameter.
    There are two types of sonnets. The Italian/Petrarchan sonnet is divided into an 8-line section and a 6-line section. The first section must have a ABBAABBA rhyming pattern, but the second section can have any variation of 2-3 rhymes that you want (CDECDE and CDCDEE, for example). The second form, the English/Shakespearean sonnet, is divided into three sections of 4 lines and a concluding couplet. This format has a rhyme pattern of ABAB CDCD EFEF GG (which makes it a little easier to use).
    I’m sorry if that was an information overload; I get excited when I talk about aspects of writing. 🙂

To the glory of God and for the advancement of His kingdom.

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@e-b-raulands Oh! Neat! I never knew exactly what a sonnet was. That’s very helpful!!

Libby
    @libby

@e-b-raulands I love sonnets – so beautiful to read, although I’ve never written one before.

@kb-writer
    I guess I’ll add my bit here.  I made this one out of my head, so bear with me! 😉 I suppose you could call it iambic.  It’s a nine-line stanza; pattern: ABCCBBCAA.
    I think that’s as much as I can say.

My example: There Have Been Those Days

There have been those days
    That fall apart,
    When I cannot stand
    On this land;
    As I waver in my heart
    Though afresh I start,
    My life tastes bland,
    Filled with ashen greys—
    There have been those days.

Is this the sort of stuff you were looking for?

"Young people, you must pray, for your passions are strong and your wisdom is little."C.H.Spurgeon

Katherine Baker
    @kb-writer

Hello everyone!

I’m sorry it’s taken me so long to get back with you all. I’ve had a chance to read all your responses, but didn’t have the time to respond until now! I’ll try to respond to each of you in turn.

@libby

(since you were the first and last person to respond) I’m glad you gave me one of your made-up patterns! I was going to ask you, but you beat me to it. Beautiful example poem, too! All these responses were definitely what I was looking for. I can’t wait to try some of these!

@evelyn

I love your example! Cute! (my secret plan was getting everyone to share fun short poetry. Bwahaha!). Great advice about copying other poetry. Sounds so obvious I feel like I should have thought of that myself, but my brain doesn’t intrinsically get the obvious. 🙂

@emgc

Thank you so much for the official name! I had a feeling it would have one, but I had no idea what it was. I think I read that name in some old poetry book I read.

@e-b-raulands

Cool! I’ve never written a sonnet before! Not an information overload at all (and I totally get being excited about writing)! I need to try that one out now.

@everyone

I’m having so much fun hearing your ideas! Now I just need to carve out the time to try them all! 🙂

Let me know if you think of any more. Thanks for sharing these!

Always remember you're unique...
    ...Just like everyone else

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@kb-writer Haha, I guess I fell for your trap! 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest