Favorite Relationships To Write About?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Favorite Relationships To Write About?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Mischievous Thwapling
    @mischievous-thwapling

I started this topic because I’m curious to see what everyone’s favorite relationships to write about are.ย  What I mean by that, is like brother and sister relationships, best friends, father to child (Or a Paternal figure), a motherly figure, it goes on and on.ย  Any of those and more. ๐Ÿ™‚

What’s your favorite?

Tagging a few people who I’m curious about what their response would be, but please, anybody feel free to answer:

@wingiby-iggiby
      @joelle-stone @crazywriter @lonathecat

Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
      ~Mark Twain

Lona
      @lonathecat

@mischievous-thwapling

Oooh, good question.

I think brother-sister relationships are my favorite, followed by a close second of guy-girl best friend relationships. Maybe also guy-girl best friend relationships that develop into romantic ones. I think the common denominator here is just guy-girl something haha. I like writing about interactions between the different sexes because I think they each bring something unique to the table, and that with it they can compliment each other better than could two girls or two guys.

Also, most of my friend group consists of guys, and though I have friends who are girls, and they mean the world to me, it’s two of those guys who are the ones that I can actually talk to about deeper things or go to for emotional or mental support when I need it. With the girls, there’s some idea that we all have to keep it together for each other and only talk about socially neutral or happy things . The guys, though, don’t care at all, and I love that. ๐Ÿ™‚

Do you have a favorite relationship to write?

Mischievous Thwapling
        @mischievous-thwapling

@lonathecat

That’s awesome! I totally get that.ย  In my WIP I have a brother and a sister as two of the main characters, and they are really fun to work with, I gotta admit ๐Ÿ™‚

And yes, I like how you said the best friend relationships developing into romantic ones.ย  I dislike the love at first sight thing, or even just, “I barely know you, but because we just did that crazy thing together, we’re great friends and I like you.”ย  Of course, the character never literally says that (that’d be super weird) but it kinda happens, y’know?ย  Like a mysterious guy just saves the girl from a deathly situation, then she immediately loves him.ย  I mean, I get admiring someone right off the bat, but the immediate love annoys me.ย  Like just ’cause you see someone singing nicely by a well, doesn’t mean that you suddenly have a mutual sense of true love. *cough cough, Snow White, cough cough* To me, that’s just fake, cheesy, totally un-real love.ย  (Sorry about the rant, that’s one of my pet peeves)

And I totally get what you mean about the friend situation.ย  A lot of the girls I know are just sorta all about popular (and to me silly) things, which I’ve never really bought into or liked.ย  That’s good though that you have those guys to confide in ๐Ÿ™‚

Hmmm, I think my favorite relationship to write about is probably a father figure– younger person or child relationship.ย  Like when he sorta takes the kid under his wings.ย  Sorta like Gammon and Maraly from the Wingfeather Saga.ย  I think it’s partly bc it reminds me of how God is our Father, and bc my family has adopted two children, so that adoption theme has been a large part of my life.ย  Like a protector and his beloved who he has sworn to protect.ย  I didn’t explain that very well, but something like that.ย  So yes, a father or father figure–child (or person he took under his wing) relationship. ๐Ÿ™‚

~Mark Twain

Lona
          @lonathecat

@mischievous-thwapling

My goodness yes! That bothers me so much! Especially when they’re 14 and have no concept of what being “in love” is. *cough cough Snow White cough cough* I do accept that maybe when a person first saw someone they immediately knew the relationship had potential, but you can’t love, like actually love, someone solely based on appearance. That just seems ridiculous.

And I mean, honestly friendships that develop into romantic relationships are just more fun to write than first-sight ones. You get to crack yourself up making all those awkward scenes for the pair since they don’t even know where their relationship is at or how to act. ๐Ÿ˜›

Yeah, I’m glad to have them. My girlfriends aren’t really into popularity, they’re just not into deep-ness either. Haha does that make any sense? But I get what you mean about thinking it’s silly. I guess to each their own. If it makes them happy, then good for them.

Oh those relationships are just beautiful! I really admire people who can write them. I’ve tried, but it never quite works. And that makes perfect sense. It also makes me think you must be one great sibling, for thinking of it like that. That your family swore to protect them and took them under its wings. ๐Ÿ™‚

Eden Anderson
            @eden-anderson

@mischievous-thwapling This is such a great topic! ๐Ÿ˜€

I enjoy writing all kinds of different relationships, but some of my favorites are parent and child relationships, very close, deep, trusting friendships, male/male and female/female friendships. I also enjoy writing about relationships between estranged loved ones and the hero-villain relationship, especially if they have a past with each other.

"But how could you live and have no story to tell?" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Arindown
            @arindown

@mischievous-thwapling @lonathecat

This is such a good topic.

I think my favorite relationships are specific to the story…but they do have several things in common. Most of them are entered around family. I think the reason I love writing parent-kid or sibling relationships is because of how important family is to me. My siblings are where I dump my “trash” when I’m feeling low, and where I get my greatest inspirations and fun times.

I dread writing romance, even though some of my stories call for it.๐Ÿ˜‚

What specific relationships in your stories do you love?

In my WIP, I have some, which I just realized are all centred around one person, that I really love writing on. One between my MC and Derik (they hate each-other at the moment), one between Derik and his sister, and one between Derik and his Dad.๐Ÿ˜„

Forgiven. Loved. Creative.

cherryblossom.the.cat
              @cherryblossom-the-cat

Iโ€™m going to jump in because this is one I f my favorite things. I always hate it when characters seem to have no meaningful relationships, like ย only shallow friends that bring absolutely nothing to the book. Relationships are so fun to read and write about. One of the ones I like to write about is the friendship between cousins, Iโ€™ve always been pretty close to my cousins and itโ€™s fun to play around with those types of relationships. Are they like siblings? Have they never even met? I feel like cousin relationships can be pretty versatile.

Sarahfi
                @sarahfi

This is a great discussion topic! I adore father-daughter (or father-son, mother-son, mother-daughter) relationships. I especially like it the father or mother isn’t their actual parent, but they act as a father or mother figure. I haven’t finished a project with this kind of relationship, but it crops up all the time in the stories I plan.

What you sow does not come to life unless it dies.
                  -1 Corinthians 15:36b

Mischievous Thwapling
                  @mischievous-thwapling

@lonathecat

Definitely!

Haha, yeah I get that.ย  I have a lot of friends like that too.

Yes! I’ve always thought they’re beautiful too.ย  And lol, yes I get that too.ย  I don’t know if I’m good at it, but I enjoy it. ๐Ÿ™‚

Aw, thank you.ย  That means a whole lot.ย  I’ll admit, the road hasn’t been easy.ย  I thought adoption would be.ย  But it really isn’t.ย  It’s so sad to see all the brokenness.ย  The brokenness in their biological family, the brokenness their experiences have left them with, their biological parents’ selfishness that has hurt them so much.. But it’s worth it.ย  Every minute of it.ย  But haha, I always wish I was a better sibling, thank you. ๐Ÿ˜€

@eden-anderson
                    (Love your profile picture BTW)

Oh!ย  I love both of those so much.ย  And the second one, the hero-villain one, is exactly one that I have in my book between one of my Main Characters and my villain. ๐Ÿ™‚

@arindown

I totally get what you mean about your siblings.ย  I’ve actually become a lot closer with my siblings lately, and I’m so glad I have.ย  Siblings are honesty such a gift.

And yes!ย  I’ve never written romance (and I never really want to start, lol), but I do like to discuss what movies and stories get wrong with it, like I did Lona ๐Ÿ˜›

Hmmm, I suppose I love the relationship between two of my Main Characters.ย  One is 15, then the other–well, his age his complicated, but just think of him as early thirties I suppose.ย  You see, it’s kinda the older one’s duty to protect the 15 year old and two of my other main characters.ย  He and the 15 year old are both Dreamwalkers, which are people who have vision-y things in their dreams and, like the name, can go in other people dreams.ย  So, as the 15 year old is learning her role and how to Dreamwalk, he’s mentoring her in all of it, because they’re not just Dreamwalkers, but–like the other two main characters I mentioned–are Guardians of what I’m calling for now (I haven’t officially named it) the Blade of Lockia.ย  So he’s teaching not just teaching her about Dreamwalking, but being a Guardian for that.ย  And it’s just a really fun relationship to write about, bc he steps into a protector, almost fatherly, figure and his guiding her all the way till he dies at the end.ย  ๐Ÿ™ ๐Ÿ™ย  (I’m so sad about that, even though I’m making it happen!) Sorry, that sounded really cheesy and confusing.ย  I think it sounds much better in my book XD

Oh, those about Derik sound awesome!ย  That’s so cool ๐Ÿ™‚

@cherryblossom-the-cat

I know! I also hate that shallow relationship thing.ย  It seems like most of their interactions consist of bantering back and forth.ย  (At least, in the ones I’ve read)

You’re right!ย  Cousin’s relationships can vary so much.ย  In one book I read, the main character said how (this was her opinion) cousins are amazing in the way that they can be better than friends ’cause they’re related, and bc they can be less annoying then siblings XD

Your cousins’ relationship sounds really fun. ๐Ÿ™‚

@sarahfi

Yes, those are awesome!! Like I said earlier, those are my favorites!ย  Where the “parent” maybe isn’t their actual parent, but assumes the role as one! I also haven’t finished my story with that relationship in it, but it plays a big role ๐Ÿ˜‰

~Mark Twain

Lona
                    @lonathecat

@mischievous-thwapling

Haha I understand that.

I can imagine! One of my favorite analogies to trials/life in general is that silver can only be purified by fire. It’s rough but it’s so amazing at the same time. ๐Ÿ™‚

Eden Anderson
                      @eden-anderson

@mischievous-thwapling Aw, thanks!* I’m super excited for fall. ๐Ÿ˜„ I love your profile pic too!!

*to give credit where credits due, I got the picture from freestocks on Unsplash.

"But how could you live and have no story to tell?" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest