fb

Favorite Poems and Poets?

Forums Poetry Poetry Discussions Favorite Poems and Poets?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Katherine Baker
    @kb-writer

Hello!

I was reading all sorts of lovely poetry and started to wonder what poets you like. I will admit that up until recently, I was fairly limited in what kinds of poets I had read, but the more I read the more I fall in love with the art.

Here are some of my favorites:

Elizabeth Bishop

Sestina

Gwendolyn Brooks

We Real Cool

The Woman

Robert Frost

One Step Backwards Taken

The Road Not Taken

Nothing Gold Can Stay

A Soldier

Robert Lous Stevenson

Bed in Summer

Edgar Allan Poe

A Dream Within a Dream (I looked back over it and had almost forgotten he used God’s name in vain! Twice! Read at your own digression)

What are some of your favorite poems and poets?

Always remember you're unique...
    ...Just like everyone else

Grace
    @h-jones

Oooh yes! I’ll definitely need to check these out. In the meantime, here are some of my favorites:

William Wordsworth

I Wandered Lonely As A Cloud

Simon Lee

Billy Collins

Aristotle

What I Learned Today

Silence

In the Room of a Thousand Miles

Lines Lost Among Trees

Cindy Green

This Text is Black

That’s all I really have for now. P: I’ve been starting to read more poetry recently, namely Billy Collins because of my aunt and uncle.

Secretly Hedgehog Jones. Don’t tell anyone.

Katherine Baker
    @kb-writer

@h-jones

Oh, I didn’t even think about putting Story Embers poets on here! The only favorite coming to my head is Cindy Greens “To a Wildflower Friend”. It was the first poem I read on this website, and it inspired me to start writing poetry again. I need to look into the ones you mentioned (though I have read “This Text Is Black” and it’s beautiful).

Grace
    @h-jones

@kb-writer Oooh, I’ll have to read that one! Also, I successfully read all of the poems you listed and… whew. Brain overload from too much awesomeness. xDDD The ones that really stood out to me were We Real Cool and Nothing Gold Can Stay. Such great works. <3

Oooh, I’ll definitely have to read it!!! Cindy Green, agh, I envy her poet skills. xD

Tagging other poets because this is a great topic: @evelyn @libby @hgm_barnes18 @anyone-else-whom-I-may-be-forgetting

Maddie Morrow
    @maddiejay

I’m pretty limited in the poets ive read, but I love everything by Emily Dickinson.

Libby
    @libby

@h-jones Glad to be tagged here – thanks Heather! 🙂

@maddiejay
    I love Emily Dickinson’s works.  Do you have any favorites?

@kb-writer
    “To a Wildflower Friend” is also the first poem I read on Story Embers, and it’s still one of my favorites, not to add your “The Lord is on Our Side” and Graham Jackson’s “Billows”.

Getting to bed now, since it’s late, but will get back on this again tomorrow, hopefully!

"Young people, you must pray, for your passions are strong and your wisdom is little."C.H.Spurgeon

Katherine Baker
    @kb-writer

@h-jones

I memorized Nothing Gold Can Stay when I was younger because I loved it so much (I also was assigned to memorize a poem, but hey, I killed two birds with one stone).

I liked Billy Collins Poetry! It took me a bit to get used to, but it’s growing on me. I liked What I Learned Today,  Room of a Thousand Miles and Lines Lost Among Trees the best.

I completely related to Lines Lost Among Trees. I’ve had so many poems that I never remember after thinking of them. I’ve always called them “God’s Poems” because he’s the only one that knows them now. 🙂

@maddiejay

I’ll have to read her work. I don’t know if I’ve ever read it. Do you have a favorite poem or two?

@libby

“Billows” by Graham Jackson was beautiful! I loved that one too. It’s cool that we read the same poem as our first one. I’m so glad you enjoyed my poem, too!

What other poets or poems do you like?

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@kb-writer Honestly the most poems I read now are by friends.

Does that count? 🙂

Grace
    @h-jones

@kb-writer Oh my word, “God’s poems.” That is absolutely perfect. I’m going to have to steal that phrase now. xD

Haha Billy Collins’ stuff had to grow on me too! xDD I remember that I heard my aunt/uncle say they liked it so much, so I picked up a book of his and was like, “Um, what is this?” That was probably a year or go, and I didn’t pick it up again until about a week or so ago. Weirdly enough, I loved it the second time. xDD

@evelyn
    That definitely counts. Friends can make some awesome poetry!

@libby
    Of course! (:

Katherine Baker
    @kb-writer

@evelyn

Yes, Poems by friends counts! I had simply forgotten to think of that when I started this topic.

@h-jones

Yes, his work is very freestyle, which took a bit to get used to, but was very neat the more I got into his style. I think you do need a different level of maturity to enjoy those, so you can go deeper into its meaning. Otherwise, it’s just a guy rambling about life and cutting off the paragraphs weirdly. 🙂

Maddie Morrow
    @maddiejay

@kb-writer and @libby

my favorites are I am nobody who are you, A bird came down the walk, There is no frigate like a book.

K. A. Grey
    @k-a-grey

Emily Dickinson’s poems are so sweet!  I memorized “There is No frigate” and “Chartless.”

I also enjoyed Henry Wadsworth Longfellow,  Alfred, Lord Tennyson,  and @kb-writer’s Raindrop Eyes and yes, Graham Jackson’s Billows was wowerful.

"Atticus, he was real nice. . . .”
    “Most people are, Scout, when you finally see them.”

Evelyn
    @evelyn

I love Emily Dickenson! Her “Hope is a Thing with Feathers” and “I’m a Nobody” are my favorites. 🙂

Grace
    @h-jones

@kb-writer That is very true. xDD Oh, me… I do like it though. (:

Oh, oh, I read “Letter to a Wildflower Friend” too. It was so beautiful! The metaphors were just, aghghhsdjasdkahfskdf Cindy Green, why are you so good xDD

@evelyn
    Oooh, those poems sound super awesome! I’ll have to check them out… *flees*

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.