Favorite Character

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Favorite Character

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Zee
    @zee

If I asked what your favorite fictional character was, you’d probably have too many candidates to narrow it down…after all, there are hundreds of amazing “not-real” people out there. So I’ll narrow it down for you. Who’s your favorite fictional character that you have created? What makes him special? Are you still writing about him?

Arindown
      @arindown

@zee

Ahah! I hope you’re going to tell us yours too, because if there’s anything writers like to talk about…it’s their characters.πŸ˜‚

Of course I love all my characters, but one has always stood out to me. He came in as a side-character, and then stole my writer heart (and the spotlight). His name is Kyerin, and he’s a slave (as a child), an elite warrior, body-guard, and later, Captain of the military. He’s also my MC’s Dad.πŸ€—

I think what makes him special to me is the fact that I’ve always wanted to be like him. He’s my hero. He’s courageous, and faithful, and he loves God and his family. He also has the same personality as my older brother.

Although I haven’t got around to his story (yet), it’s the only one of mine that has made me cry so far.πŸ˜„ I don’t want to put in any spoilers (on the chance I’ll actually get to writing that book), so I won’t say any more (I also don’t want to tear-up thinking about itπŸ˜‚).

Live doing what you love. Die doing what you love. Do what you love for the Master.

Crystal
        @dacelo

My favorite at least at this point is Reaper. She named herself after the mythical Reaper of Souls since she is extremely stealthy and excels at picking locks, so she has a way of getting into places that “Only the Reaper of Souls” could. She is rather mischievous and tries to figure out what animal everyone she meets is most like. She endured some trauma in her past and joined an assassin guild in a misguided effort to get used to killing so that she would be able to get revenge. Along with that, she adopted a sort of persona based on the Reaper of Souls theme and likes referring to herself in the third person as Death. Some of her most-used lines are “Death sheds no tears” and “Death has no ties.”

She has a lot to learn about true strength and being willing to make friends again, but she does enjoy messing with people.

A lot of the fun with her is in how she interacts with the others. She gets in an argument with one character about what’s the point of saluting, and another argument about why should you knock with someone is already expecting you.

Zee
          @zee

@arindown, Kyerin sounds like a cool guy, and a very strong character. You should definitely write his story. That’s often how series are born, after all. Do you pronounce his name with two syllables, or three?

@dacelo
            , “Reaper” sounds more like an Apache call sign than a person’s name, but from the way you’ve described this girl’s dark past, I can see why she might choose it. Seems like a key part of her story may be how she finds a new name for herself…

Thanks for sharing!

@zee

This is an awesome topic to start! I love characters from so many stories, so it was super wise to lower the options to characters we’ve made up. πŸ™‚

My favourite character that I’ve invented is definitely a teen boy named Edmond. He’s seriously awesome!!!!! Technically it was my friend and I who made him up together, because we’re writing a story together and he’s one of the main side characters. (If you get my meaning, lol) πŸ˜‰

He’s mischievous through and through, and actually reminds me a lot of his namesake, Edmond, from the Chronicles of Narnia. The one main difference though is that he doesn’t get into as much trouble as the Narnia Edmond does, and he’s generally kinder. Edmond loves playing little pranks on people, and what’s funny about him is that the first scene he’s depicted in, he’s playing a prank.

I just watched the new Little Women again yesterday, and I realized after seeing Laurie at his finest, the two of them are very similar in personality. Edmond is a bit more of a subdued Laurie, but if the two ever met, I have a feeling they’d get along famously.

Anyway, it’s sorta hard to describe one’s character without taking tons of time dedicated to the cause, but he’s a fun loving, mischievous, adventurous, energetic teen who’s a ton of fun to write about. πŸ™‚

So far none of my other characters compare. (Well, there is one in a story I’ve come up with that I’m going to write soon, but since I haven’t actually ever written about him, I’m not sure if I can count him. And even if I could, I’d still probably say Edmond.) Β πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜›

@bama-rose

You should answer this. I have a feeling I know which two characters you’ll have to decide between, but it’s a fun topic and I’m not one-hundred percent sure what you’re answer will be… πŸ˜‰

Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.
            -JRR Tolkien

Naiya Dyani
            @naiya-dyani

@zee a;sldkfj a chance to blab about mah Kiet boi πŸ˜›

Kiet Hulsaba is one of my favorite characters of mine. Sixteen years old, INFP, very sweet and gentle. Except if you lay a finger on his friends. If you do. . . well, he knows martial arts, and you’ll learn it very fast. XD

He’s had a lot of pain in his past, though, both emotionally/mentally and physically. He has two scars on his cheek from a particularly traumatic incident, and he has C-PTSD.

Despite that, he’s a dearheart, loves cats, and is braver than he looks (or believes he is). He has a way of seeing past the mask people wear, and his eyes almost seem to see right into your soul (an effect caused by a combination of his manner and his appearance–black hair and darker skin but vivid green eyes).

So yeah, I could go on about my child for hours, but I’ll leave it there for now. XD

Hearts are like matter--they can be beaten down, torn, and burned, but they cannot be destroyed.

Lona
              @lonathecat

@zee

Your prediction is correct. I wouldn’t be able to decide a favorite of all the fictional characters out there, but maybe, I could one of my own. So, even though I do love all of my little characters, Offo is probably my favorite. Just a quiet, slightly eccentric and quirky, but caring and peace-seeking alchemist in need of some love.

Now my question for you; what makes a character one of your favorites? Is there a trait they all share? πŸ™‚

Arindown
                @arindown

@lonathecat

That’s a really good question. What makes my characters favorites?

I think it’s when I really connect to them, understand them, and even feel sorry for them. I also think personality plays a role in it…most of my favorites are more shy and somewhat steady. They all have a distinct “inside” courage, are good with animals, and are good listeners.

I think they’re all what I want to be, in some ways.πŸ˜„

Live doing what you love. Die doing what you love. Do what you love for the Master.

Lona
                  @lonathecat

@arindown

I agree with you on that. Most of my favorites are ones that I can relate to. I especially find myself rooting for the characters who don’t get enough attention or love from other characters. Which is actually kind of ironic, since then I never really like the main characters that the author wants me like because I think they get too much attention… πŸ˜›

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest