fb

Evocative Poetry

Forums Poetry Poetry Discussions Evocative Poetry

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Leon Fleming
    @w-o-holmes

@emma-starr @ericawordsmith @wordsmith @evelyn @dakota @all-else

Hey, guys, I’ve an idea: to write a series of poems that evoke feelings within people. (Don’t laugh). Meaning basically this: you read a poem about, say, bread; and it makes you want a slice of bread with a great dripping of the tongue. Now it can be of food, yes. But also of other things. Ex: a tree. You read a poem on a tree and you then want to go and look out at a tree.

Am I already stating the obvious? ‘Cause that’s what I feel like…

Hi, @w-o-holmes! I don’t believe we’ve met? I love this idea!!!! That’s honestly my favourite kind of poetry! Why else should poetry be read unless to evoke feelings? Well, anyway, I’ll try to work on something. I’m always busy but we’ll see what I come up with… 😀 *takes a deep breath and realizes she must seem really weird* Well… um… Nice meeting you!!! 😉

It's crazy how God made our hearts... They break easily but slowly heal back together, just like bones.

Leon Fleming
    @w-o-holmes

@sesi

Hi! Yeah, I don’t believe we’ve met, either…Morning! *holds out hand* *shakes hand* Hey’ya doin’?

You live somewhere in Europe?

Yeah, same here. I’m currently working on poems wherein I am attempting to further the meaning of the word “meaning”. This, I usually do, but here I am wishing to encompass a depth of a whole other level than before.

This little thing was just an idea of mine that I’m probably gonna try out.

Don’t worry, you’re not weird. XD Sometimes I feel like a total creep! 🙂 Yes, nice meeting you too!

What poetry do you usually write?

Leon Fleming
    @w-o-holmes

Hey! Wait! We’re on the same guild! Nice to meet you!

Evelyn
    @evelyn

Oh my.

I love this idea but it is awfully intimidating.

Leon Fleming
    @w-o-holmes

@evelyn

It is? Why ever is that?

EricaWordsmith
    @ericawordsmith

@w-o-holmes

Well… At this point I can’t commit to anything… College… However, I would love to see more of your poetry and in return when I have something I deem worth embarrassing myself over I will post it. I tend to write on really simple things anyway… Either that or when I feel poetic and emotional trying to help myself sort through it with words.

Tek an ohta! Tek an cala!

Dakota
    @dakota

@w-o-holmes Great idea! I’ll see if I can come up with anything new but do you think that this poem counts? https://storyembers.org/forums/topic/fall-poem/

Psalm 119:11
    Your word I have hidden in my heart,
    That I might not sin against You.

K. A. Grey
    @k-a-grey

@dakota  That’s a lovely poem!  I love fall.  Yes, I would definitely say that counts.  🙂

@w-o-holmes
       I’ve got one that (I hope) evokes feelings, but it’s not about tangible objects, it’s more of a mood.   And it’s also extremely unconventional, so…

"Atticus, he was real nice. . . .”
    “Most people are, Scout, when you finally see them.”

Leon Fleming
    @w-o-holmes

@ericawordsmith

Alas! But that is one of the great ways of constructing anything of the poetical type! Keep chugging for the finish line! Don’t give up before you reach the edge of the pond! Leave the past and look to the future! Etc. Tec. Cte. Ect. Tce. Cet. …That’s right. Etc. How is the collage going? Difficult? Or time consuming and boring?

@dakota
    Um, yes it does. Is this a trick question? I mean, I was just wondering…That’s a great poem! (Sometimes I think I say ‘great’ too much!) without everything that is needed, all would be conceited. (When writing sentences in response to something or other.)

@k-a-grey
    Hey! As long as it’s poetry then…and of course it’ll have to evoke and stuff…but, put it on here! And we’ll dissect it til you wish you never wrote it! HAhahaha!! *evil grin*

Pardon my misbehaviour, people. *walks off to get a snack and a pen**and a notebook and a hen**along with a cocoa and a bean**who’s name isn’t mean*

EricaWordsmith
    @ericawordsmith

@w-o-holmes

Well… I would agree if I did not already say that I would like to keep my grades up. XD

I work a little on poetry and writing on the weekends and occasionally when a flash of inspiration hits, I will scribble something down during the week.

I am loving college… I’m a music major, so I still feel like I’m at a very long music camp in some ways (just throw in a New Testament class, English class and Speech class). There are very few things that I dislike… it’s just tiring. I get about 5-6 hours of sleep most nights so… If it weren’t that I felt so exhausted all the time… But so far it has been a wonderful experience.

Tek an ohta! Tek an cala!

Leon Fleming
    @w-o-holmes

@ericawordsmith

Nice. You play the piano?

What collage do you go to? I want to, someday, go to Masters University.

Ouch on the sleep. You should try kick-starts. They’re great. Just not everyday, of course.

@w-o-holmes, Nice to meet you! I’m great thanks! 😀 I’m wondering if you assume that I live in Europe because of how I spell ‘favourite’? Sorry to disappoint you but I’m actually Canadian/American (I live in Alberta though). 🙁

I don’t actually write a ton of poetry but I really enjoy doing so when I have the chance. I’ll try to work on something today maybe.

I would look it up but I’d rather ask; who is Uondon of Andim?

The poetry I write is mostly the result of strong feelings so I’m not really sure if I can actually evoke feeling in someone else.  Does that answer your question about the kind of poetry I write or do you mean something different?

Oh wow, I didn’t even notice the guild thing!! I’m really sorry! I should have already met you! I was on the guild more often but I really slacked off recently. 🙁 I have one more question; were you part of New Wessex for the sea of chaos prompt? Cause that was the last time I was around….

Anyway, again, nice meeting you! 😀 😀 😀

It's crazy how God made our hearts... They break easily but slowly heal back together, just like bones.

Leon Fleming
    @w-o-holmes

@sesi

Ahh, that’s alright, mate! I spell that way too. Though the difference, I guess, besides the obvious, is that I actually AM European in origin. Funny thing, huh? I’ve lived in the US my whole life, though.

Yea, I write poetry a. Lot. I like poetry, what? I’m in the process of gathering pieces in order to collectively publish my first book, albeit an anthology. I’m working on various pieces as of now. Some of which, I really should work on…(in answer to your above question on the question that I previously posed on what kind of poetry do you write): What kind of poetry do you usually like to write? A form or a more open-based? I prefer anything that suits the moment, really. I’m going for the Whitman/Wordsworth touch as of late.

I must concur with you here on this point; I think it a necessity that poetry be written through way of emotions. Otherwise, why write it? It’ll end up as a bland, dried-out, oyster. That is, unless you are particularly gifted in doing so. You could then write whenever you wanted (not like you can’t, anyway). Lucky you.

Ah, yes! I’m sorry to say that you probably wouldn’t find the true identity of Uondon of Andim if you looked anywhere besides here. This would be because he is a fictitious character within one of the four worlds in my realms of fantasy. It wouldn’t exactly be proper to call it a side project or hobby for in the works are many novels that I hope to produce. You see, that quote of mine is in a language. It was quoted as best as could be represented with the limited tools then at hand to correctly present the right soundings of that language (now called for further and easier use), Lathraen; this was presented through the sound system of its brother language (as above; a stand-in title), Enorren. (That is: ay-NOR-ren – Also: la-THRAY-n). These two languages corroborate with a third; that being the Edaeic script (ee-DAY-ic) – not in use by those of the worlds apart from the elves of the lands west of the Great Expanse, or Iethric’telauo. (ee-AY-thric-tel-OE-ee ). If you want to learn more of these realms go to this website where I post things on occasion on this blog…sorry. Not yet, I haven’t. I’m getting one up though…in a few months.

(I love talking like this.)

Nay, unfortunately I was not. I came on the guild at the beginning of September. Yes! 🙂 Nice meeting you, too!

K. A. Grey
    @k-a-grey

@w-o-holmes  *gasps in horror*  I shall never show you my poem! *clutches notebook to heart*  *sticks tongue out for good measure*

Just kiddin’.   I don’t care if you do critique.  Tell me what you think it means, what emotions it evoked, the symbolism behind each and every word, the relevancy of word choice, and report back with a 8,000-word essay of your findings.  *evil-er grin* Dissect away!  (The rest of you just enjoy… or don’t.)

Abstract heART

Front porch.  The paper figures still.

The newspaper clippings are scattered

but I see the figures.

I was a child then, and I cut them out.

The pictures of the primary colors,

the Geometry and lines and contours

and shapes and folds.

The blue sky was a concrete wall

and the air was clear.

And I sat on the floor with my scissors.

Black and white and monochrome

people, abstract people.

Apartment complex.  The sky walls still.

The city lights are scattered

but I see the figures.

The walls aren’t concrete anymore;

they’re glass and paper painted black.

And now there’s smoke and gray fog.

The pictures of windows are all broken

but my heart.  Floors have shag carpet

but boards have splinters.

I was a girl then, but I cut it out.

The slip of paper.

And I clung, hands trembling,

crouching, kneeling,

I sank and my eyes shattered

with tears.

home. home. home?

red

love

newspaper.

"Atticus, he was real nice. . . .”
    “Most people are, Scout, when you finally see them.”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.