fb

Ever Read About a Fish Murderer…?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Ever Read About a Fish Murderer…?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Some people have asked what I write about, so I decided to post one of my short stories on here for y’all to read. @kimlikesart @eitan @beth20 @claire-h @kristianne-hassman I write about funny little things that have happened in my life, and I (of course) dramatize them immensely to make them interesting to read, and to bring out the laughter hiding inside of everyone who reads them. It’s great! ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜€

Anyone is welcome to read this and then give me their opinion, whether good or bad. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I want to improve in writing these short stories, and there’s no better way than having a group read and critique them. Thanks, and enjoy your reading!

A Fishy Tale

One day my best friend Lydia and I were sitting in her bedroom, trying to think of what we could do to pass the time, when I had a stroke of genius (which turned out to be a stroke of stupidity).ย 

โ€œWhy donโ€™t we make a house for your fish?โ€ I asked, staring at her tank.

She glanced up from where she sat beside me and pondered the suggestion. โ€œWhat would we make it out of?โ€

โ€œI donโ€™t know, an old cereal box and tape?โ€ My eleven-year-old mind didnโ€™t think of the consequences that would follow.

She nodded. โ€œThat might work. How about I get the tape and scissors, and you ask Mom for the box.โ€

We set out to find the treasure, and after doing so, we met once again in Lydiaโ€™s bedroom, positively delighted by our plan. We set to work right away, cutting the cereal box into pieces, forming a rough square shape, and taping the pieces into place. (Quite the solid structure, Iโ€™m sure!) It took us a while to get something that was up to our standards, but when we finally did, we examined it with satisfaction.

I stated the obvious. โ€œNow we just need to put it into the tank.โ€

Picking the fish house up in both hands, I strode to the other side of the room with Lydia right behind me. I set the cardboard house down on the dresser so I could push up my sleeves, and after doing so, carefully submerged the house in the water. You might be able to guess what happened when I lifted my hand back out of the water, but at the age of eleven, I didnโ€™t think of all those small, though just as important, details.

The house floated.

Now, most people would think it painfully obvious that cardboard floats, but neither Lydia nor I had thought about it.

We stared at it bobbing up and down on the top of the water for a minute before Lydia spoke.

โ€œHow are we gonna make it stay at the bottom?โ€

I shrugged with frustration before going back to the bed and plopping down at the edge. โ€œI donโ€™t know.โ€

As we sat beside each other yet again, pondering what we could do, I was struck once again with an amazing idea. (Or once again, another idiotic one.)

โ€œAll we have to do is put one of your shells on top of the house, and the weight will hold it down,โ€ I stated.

โ€œOh, ya, thatโ€™s a great idea!โ€ Lydia agreed, and we both got up and walked over to the fish tank.

We figured out after a while that one person would have to hold the house down on the bottom of the tank, while the other placed the large shell on top of it. It worked, and we rejoiced in our victory. Lydiaโ€™s two younger brothers came in to see what we were up to, and they joined us in admiring the new fish house.

Time passed as we kids occupied ourselves with other activities, and when Lydia and I returned to the bedroom to get something, we were in for a shock.

Her fish was floating on the top of the tank.

Dead.

It took us a while to get her fish into another bowl and pour all the water from the tank into the sink, since we had decided we should clean the tank of evidence of the murder. We had seen pieces of tape floating at the top of the water, and it didnโ€™t take us long to realize what had killed Lydiaโ€™s fish.

The fish house.

Tape and cardboard have tons of chemicals, of course, and we assumed they had poisoned the fish. As horrible as it was, it was pretty amusing, and we cleaned out the tank while chuckling at our stupidity.

We had placed the limp fish in a bowl with some water as we cleaned the tank inside and out, and when we turned our attention back to the unfortunate creature, we were surprised to discover it swimming around.

โ€œI guess itโ€™s not dead after all,โ€ Lydia commented, and we refilled the tank with water after putting all the rocks and shells in the bottom.ย 

However, we were wise enough to not put the fish house back in.

After placing the now-living fish back into its home, we sighed in relief that there hadnโ€™t been a murder after all.ย 

But, to our great dismay, later that day we found the fish floating on the top of the water, definitely dead this time. Definitely not acting like last time. Lydia ended up flushing it down the toilet, but I still think we should have buried it so we could have gone to the grave to pay our respects.

This event has impacted me in many ways, and it will continue to, as I repeatedly realize how fragile and meaningful life really is. Even the life of a fish.

Even the smallest person can change the course of the future. -JRR Tolkien

@bama-rose

Oh, lol. I forgot to tag you! ๐Ÿ˜€ Super weird, considering what the story is and all… ๐Ÿ˜‰ Lol. I can’t believe I forgot! Especially since I promised you I’d tag you when I posted this.

*shakes my head while rolling my eyes* Who would have thought?

Alabama Rose
    @bama-rose

@olivia ๐Ÿคฃ That’s totally fine!! Hahah.

I love this story! Great job! ๐Ÿ™‚

Courage, dear heart ~ Aslan

Eitan
    @eitan

I will find time in the next few days to read it!

You don't need to see the wind itself in order to hear the rustling leaves.

Beth Darlene
    @beth20

Awesome, I’ll read this today! ๐Ÿ™‚

Jominkreesa! For the weirdos who know what it means! ๐Ÿ˜‰ I love you guys!

Beth Darlene
    @beth20

Haha, that was amazing! Really liked it, love stories like this!

Jominkreesa! For the weirdos who know what it means! ๐Ÿ˜‰ I love you guys!

Arindown (Gracie)
    @arindown

@olivia

I love stories about real life. This one is so funny! Poor fish.

Maybe I’ll have to post a story sometime about me, and my sister’s carnivorous duck….๐Ÿ˜‰

Not all who wander are lost.

Alabama Rose
    @bama-rose

@arindown

Haha, carnivorous duck?! That sounds hilarious! ๐Ÿ˜‚

Courage, dear heart ~ Aslan

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

@olivia

Oh man!!!

I just realized I didn’t comment!

I read this the day you posted, sorry. It’s good, and real-life experiences can indeed be funny.

Jominkreesa

God told you to go; He did not say you would return.

@bama-rose

I know it’s fine, I just found it funny. ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜€

@eitan Oh, it’s totally fine. No pressure! ๐Ÿ™‚ I just posted this for fun and I meant for people to enjoy it whenever they had time. So you don’t have any obligation to read this!

@beth20 I’m glad you like it! Ya, I like reading stories like this, but I like writing them even more. And all it takes is a bit of a mess up in life, a sense of humour, and exaggeration. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Lots and lots of exaggeration!

@arindown ย Ya, I never thought of it much before, but man, that poor fish went through a LOT!!!!!

*Bursts out laughing*

That may have sounded cold hearted, but I have a feeling you all know where I’m coming from now, after reading this. Lol. I’m not as bad as I may seem… hopefully…

Ya, you totally should post that story!!!!! I’m working on another story right now, and it’s also pretty funny. I’ll probably post it just so a few people can get laughs out of it as well. Lol. That’s basically my goal in life: making people laugh. No kidding, either! I’ve decided (though it may sound weird that I know what I want on my grave stone), I want my grave stone to have the normal stuff, like date of birth, death, etc. but at the end, I want it to say,ย Forever Laughing. Suites me well, I think. ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜›

claire
    @claire-h

@olivia

Thanks for tagging me! This was an entertaining read for sure. ๐Ÿ˜‚ Yes, please share your next one with us too!

a flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it.
    it just blooms.

@claire-h

Oh, I’m glad you liked it so much! ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m never sure what people are gonna think of my writing, but I guess how can you go wrong with a funny story? Lol

Ya, I’m planning on posting the next one when I finish it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Story Embers

Pin It on Pinterest