fb

Emotions

Forums Fiction Characters Emotions

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Inkhorn
    @inkhorn

My MC, Cahira, discovers a secret after deliberately searching for it. She knows that she have never seen this and realizes that her life could be in jeopardy because of what she now knows. Cahira decides to tell no one of what she has done and becomes very emotional and suspicious. She has mood swings going from angry to desperate. She becomes more affectionate towards her sister because she needs assurance that her family loves her and therefore keeping her from her worst fear: Her family rejects her.  She also becomes illogical. I’m wondering if these emotions are realistic or if they have been over- or underdone.

It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations if you live near him. -Tolkien

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@inkhorn

I’m wondering if these emotions are realistic or if they have been over- or underdone.

Honestly, they sound realistic to me. I’d absolutely freak out in a situation like that, so I don’t blame her for getting emotional about it.

And besides that, emotions aren’t ever original, nor do they need to be. If it fits in her personality, it’s completely good! From this, I’m assuming she’s generally a kind of emotional person. And besides that, even unemotional/cold characters have their breaking points where they become emotional.

Most characters have a kind of baseline emotion, something they’ll resort to when they feel threatened. I usually think of it as the fight/flight/freeze/fawn response. Characters often resort to one of them when threatened, which influences their emotions.

I’ll pick an example you know 🙂 Liorah resorts to fight almost every time. It’s what’s worked for her in the past, that’s how she keeps herself safe. It means she gets angry or annoyed easily and isn’t afraid to resort to violence.

Aydin, on the other hand, usually jumps to freeze. He just looks away, pretends he doesn’t exist, tries to disappear. He may go numb emotionally.

It’s also influenced by how they grew up. Think about how their parents would have reacted to each of those responses. Liorah learned to be loud and agressive because otherwise everyone would just ignore her problems. She learned that she needed to have an extreme reaction if she wanted help.

Aydin grew up in a situation where getting emotional was dangerous for him. In a situation of conflict, his only option was to shut up and take it and not make it worse, so that’s what he still does, even if he isn’t in any direct danger.

So, that’s often a way I work out the character baseline and go from that. Kind of irrelevant to your question but I hope it helped!

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Inkhorn
    @inkhorn

@rose-colored-fancy

Yes that did help! Thank you!

It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations if you live near him. -Tolkien

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest