fb

Emotional Scenes

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Emotional Scenes

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    ShadowWriter161
    @shadowwriter161

@taylorclogston

… Whoa. That was an incredible amount of useful information. My brain needs time to absorb it all. XD  Thank you. Very much. 😀

Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

@shadowwriter161 You’re very welcome! Forster didn’t invent the idea of the flat character, but his notes on it here are the most famous discussion on them. (also, in case it wasn’t clear, emphasis in that post was from me, not from the original text)

"...the one with whom he so sought to talk has already interceded for him." -The Master and Margarita

ShadowWriter161
    @shadowwriter161

@taylorclogston

I can see why they are! I found it very informative, and I will definitely be looking deeper into my characters after this. 😀

Kendra
    @kendralynne518

One thing I will do is list a few emotional scenes that I know are going to happen, and then when I’m in that kind of emotional state (disappointed, angry, sad, ecstatic, etc.) I will write it then, using my emotions to fuel my writing and helping me to feel what my character is feeling.

For example, I was feeling very frustrated recently and I was a bit stuck in writing my current Camp Nano story, but I used that frustration to help me write a scene I knew was going to happen that needed that kind of energy in it.

Here’s what I sat down and wrote:

I ran.

I ran until my lungs burned within my chest, the air I breathed became fire within me, and my legs, pumping like pistons, just about ready to give up. People parted the way in front of me, staring, and some calling after me, curious.

But I didn’t stop. I had to try. I had to try to be free, free from the menace that had perched on my shoulder and controlled me my entire life.

I didn’t stop to think about whether that was possible. All I knew was that I had to try. [excerpt from 2109: Awaken by Kendra Lynne]

So yeah. That’s my advice. Also once you really know and understand your characters, it can be a lot easier. 🙂

just a crazy ENFP/tough cowgirl/obsesses over time travel/middle earth/writer/book dragon/obidala

PenSword
    @pensword

It looks like you’ve got some good advice on developing characters, so unless you have any other questions on that I’m just going to leave that there.

I will say though, I would be careful about how you go about addressing how the character reveals their tragic backstory. Once you get into the characters head more I think you’ll be able to tell better how they would react to the situation you have them in, but I would just keep it in mind that not all characters are just going to spill their life story to whoever asks. Or even friends they trust a lot. I have several characters with really bad backstories who never tell anyone in their life what actually happened to them. One of them is a girl who’s known another character for almost ten years, and he’s saved her life multiple times, but he still has no idea about a single thing that happened to her before they met. Another of mine admits to a few things only after another character discovers them and confronts him with.

And, I also have a character who’s very upfront about her past, and tells pretty much anyone who asks.

Like I said, once you get into the character’s head a little more, you should be able to tell what kind of person they are, and how they would react or go about telling another person or persons about their backstory, but I just thought I’d mention it.

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest