Dumb things writers do.. or maybe it's just me

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Dumb things writers do.. or maybe it's just me

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Hannah
    @salome01w4g

So I’ve got a problem, I just started working on a new WIP (hides from 3 other WIPS I should be finishing instead….)

But I have a small problem, I am sitting here writing and judging my work and editing it in my head and working myself up and becoming overwhelmed. Does anyone else sit there and judge their work and or edot before they’ve even finished the first draft??

Since the only tags I know are @daeus-lamb and @kate . Any advice/ tag recommendations.?πŸ€”

Christian, farmer , aspiring midwife, writer, oh and I'm a martial artess
      www.regeneratelifefarm.b

Catwing
      @catwing

@salome01w4g Hello it’s been so long since I’ve read you!
      Yes I do that… What I have to do is try and force myself to not edit it as I write. What helps a little bit is if I just work on that one chapter without going back to other chapters. I guess this mindset helps *because I have finished them they should not be edited until the next draft because you finished. You are done. The end! Yay you finished a chapter!* So I kinda block myself from going back to the last chapter and the last page (except maybe the end of the last page, because I just worked on that and I need to reread it to think about context) by saying that it is done for this draft and I completed something and I can always come back next draft.
      Hopefully that helps you (and makes sense). :3

I’m new, but I found these tags…

@snapper
      @ethryndal @lillian-parks03 @literatureforthelight @josiah

When your wings are weak and you feel like you can't fly any farther you're halfway there!

Samuel
      @samuel

@salome01w4g (Oh boy, that’s going to be a fun tag πŸ™‚ )

I found two good options that I use sometimes to prevent myself from going back.

1. Take the mouse’s thumbdrive out of the PC.

2. Put something hard and flat over the trackpad if you have one and tape it down.

Voila. Can’t move the cursor. Just use the arrow keys to go back and fix typos.

Keep in mind this isn’t as effective if you have a touch-screen PC or are typing on a smart device.

No one reads these anyway

Catwing
        @catwing

@samuel That’s great idea!
        Except I can’t do them because all my writing devices are touch screen or the mouse is on a cord… maybe I could hide the cord, then it could work… Thanks this helped me too!

When your wings are weak and you feel like you can't fly any farther you're halfway there!

Thomas (CrØss_Blβ‚³de)
        @thewirelessblade

Yeah, I do that sometimes.

But ever more dumber is not editing your draft at all and letting people read it. Funny thing is though, people liked what I wrote even though it was awful. Then again, most of them were around 12… Eh.

*Forum Signature here*

Grace
        @literatureforthelight

@salome01w4g (I sincerely hope I got that right)

I have the problem of editing sentences as I write them. Like, it has to be written perfectly, and I’ll phrase it several different ways before I’m satisfied. My little sister actually told me about this tic I have where I write a word, delete it, and write it again as I think about what I want to do next. (Did it about five or six times in that last sentence. It must look horrible to watch me type.)

Anyways, something more abstract, but has worked for me, is to try to tap into that creative vein every time you write. It means that you know where you’re going, there’s emotion behind it, and you’re driving yourself to get to the climax or the point of the scene. It’s kind of the I-need-to-finish-this attitude we have with books, but only when you’re writing, because you get so much into the story that your character just HAS to get to the next thing, HAS to make that discovery, before you can stop…

Practically, this has to be done in moderation so as not to exhaust yourself, but it’s that passion for driving ahead that helps me not go back, and the sentences can always be edited later.

I hope that was clear enough — let me know if I need to clarify anything. Best of luck with your WIP! πŸ™‚

INFJ // The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it. (John 1:5)

Sarah Baran
        @ethryndal

@salome01w4g Yeeeees, this is a horrible problem I suffer from to. And there’s really no easy way to fix it, simply because it’s mental. You have to overcome your mind. Which is… tough.

Just remember, this 1st draft isn’t set in stone. Anything you write can be rewritten. Any problems you have can be fixed. You can edit a rough draft—but not a blank document. Training your mind to “not go there” whenever you start overthinking is really the only advice I can give—remind yourself that the 1st draft is only there to get words on paper. Even if those words are horrible, they can and will be fixed later.

INTJ ➸ https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Daeus Lamb
        @daeus-lamb

@salome01w4g One thing I’ve found nice is having a friend edit each chapter as I write it. This might not work if you chapters are in serious need of help, but I often think a chapter will only be so-so and having someone read it and say it’s actually pretty good helps me from being harder on myself than I should. It’s easier to keep going.

πŸ˜€
        πŸ‘•πŸ‘
        πŸ‘– 🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒

Brie Donning
        @brie-donning

First drafts I do a bit of editing if I write on the computer, but I don’t tend to stress over it. It’ll usually be bigger plot level editing too, and still leaves my first draft in a mess. And I’m okay with that. It’s the later drafts I have trouble with. Then I stress over whether I’m using the right words.

ENFP - Introspective extrovert

Exploring reality, yearning for adventure.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest