Dudes, how do I write guys??

Forums Fiction Characters Dudes, how do I write guys??

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    His Bard
    @his-bard

Lots of great answers through here.

I’m going to just toss in one other consideration. Do you know your character’s personality type/cognitive functions? Guys with Fe or Fi in their dominant or auxiliary functions can be plenty emotional. And guys who don’t, well, they’re still emotional, just not always as obviously.

Take me, for instance, an INTJ. In popular culture, we are portrayed as one of the least emotional personalities there are. But nothing could be further from the truth. I have totally normal emotions about totally normal things. The catch is, its all in my head. Outwardly, I can easily pass for a stone heart, soul of ice, and stomach of iron. But deep down inside? Very sensitive. Yes, I can get watery eyes during a sad movie scene. But no, I will absolutely not admit to it actually happening.

As to confidence, again, I am quite adept at coming across as totally knowing what I’m doing even if I haven’t got a clue. My personality type is known as the ‘mastermind’, so it wouldn’t do us any favors to show off our lack of confidence. Don’t know where I’m going? You can bet I’m not asking for directions–other than from my phone. XD

Anger is less of an issue for me. I very rarely come close to flying off the handle, even in my mind. I’m unsure if that has more to do with INTJ in general, or just me personally.

Bottom line, I think most of culture’s guy stereotypes are based largely on how we INTJs appear to the rest of the world, despite that we are a minority personality type. But the way INTJs appear to the rest of the world is also highly stereotyped, because we are just so complex, few writers bother to study us long enough to understand us.

Spoken words are forgotten. Written word lasts forever. Writers are the most powerful mortals to exist.

Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

@the-fledgling-artist Ay, great idea for a thread!!

And I’m not going to go and tag all the guys who commented… BUT! Thank you, everybody! This was a very helpful thread to read. Out of all my stories, all 20-something WIPs, I think I only have one with a female MC. Dunno why, but I tend to gravitate towards male MCs. Always have. The one with the female MC is my novel for NaNo this year. And you’d kinda think since I’m a girl, I’d have an easier time writing girl characters. And that’s true, to some extent. But I also find writing girls to be just as hard, if not harder, than guys. I can’t say exactly why. But I do.

"Hey. Spit that out."
    *ignores him and swallows frog*
    _____
    "This is the way."

Thomas (CrØss_Bl₳de)
    @thewirelessblade

Study us guys, then stop worrying about it.

There’s a few minor things different between guys and girls, but personality-wise, Tom-boys are still a thing.

*Forum Signature here*

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest