*drumroll please*

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself *drumroll please*

This topic contains 15 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Holly Anne 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Holly Anne
    @holly-anne

Hey all, I’m Holly *bows*

Super glad to be a part of this finally πŸ™‚

I love writing, reading and also editing. I have been ‘writing’ for as long as I can remember, but I first started seriously writing when I was 11. That was when I started a ‘novel’ and looking back, I pretty much die in embarrassment reading it. But hey, I was 11. I love writing, whether it be fantasy, historical fiction with a twist of fantasy, poems, fantasy, essays, fantasy…oh and did I say that I love fantasy?

Anyways, I am so excited to be able to be a part of such an amazing group of writers.

Look forward to talking with you all soon πŸ™‚

PS: Who else around here is a fantasy fan?

"You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger darling" (Inception)

Sarah Inkdragon
      @sarah-inkdragon

@holly-anne

Nice to meet you! I’m Sarah-Inkdragon, also known as Sink, Sarah, Ink, and that random child who likes to analyze everything.

What’s your favorite fantasy novel(s)/series? Do you like Tolkien and C.S. Lewis? I’m a huge fan of both those two really, as well as Sanderson, Dianne Wynne Jones, and Lloyd Alexander.

What genre do you write? Currently I’m working on a big fantasy WIP along with several side projects/random ideas in fantasy, hi-fi, and sci-fi.

What’s your favorite movie?

Veritas Nunquam Perit. (The truth never dies.)

Holly Anne
      @holly-anne

Hey! Nice to meet you too! πŸ™‚

Yes I do like Tolkien and C. S. Lewis πŸ™‚ I have heard of Sanderson, but I don’t think I’ve heard of the others. I’ll have to check them out πŸ™‚ My favourite fantasy series would definitely be Hope Ann’s Legends of Light, and I love her newest ones too. Especially Healer’s Bane πŸ™‚

I mostly write fantasy, but I have also written a fair bit of poetry, and I love writing Historical Fiction (especially if it has a twist of fantasy). At the moment I have been writing a couple of short, symbolic pieces, like a picture of war, and a personification of Grief etc.. So that’s kinda my ‘thing’ at the moment.

What is your WIP about? I am really trying to write a novella, but I love the metaphorical / simile stuff so much that I get sidetracked doing that and then end up keeping it as a short story. I just love writing detailed word pictures, so yep.

I am technically working on an allegorical fantasy WIP, but it is more of a WISM (Work in stationary mode) πŸ™‚

I am torn between the Book Thief and Hacksaw Ridge. I love the Book Thief because of all the word pictures and the personification of Death, but Hacksaw Ridge was such an incredible true story that really inspired me πŸ™‚

Sarah Inkdragon
        @sarah-inkdragon

@holly-anne

I’d definitely recommend Dianne Wynne Jones, though a slight warning she does write mainly surrounding the “witch and wizard” aspect of magic, so if that’s not for you you may not enjoy her. She’s very good with humor, story, and all around just a good wacky read when you need it. πŸ˜‰

Oh, did Hope release Healer’s Bane? I hadn’t seen. I haven’t been following the blogosphere much, so I may have missed it.

My WIP….. is complicated. It’s technically fantasy, but it’s set in an almost post-apocalyptic fantasy world, after the “evil empire” wins and takes over. So I guess you could say it’s kind of like Star Wars. Anyhow, it’s about a boy who discovers he can use the rare, genetically inhibited magic that the empire’s warriors use to suppress the rest of the world, and then tries to aid a rebel cause but eventually realizes that the rebels are about just as corrupt as the rest of the world, and decides to learn to harness his magic and set out on his own with a small band of teammates.

Basically it’s just an excuse for me to create a broken world system and then ask a bunch of philosophical questions and other-analyze everything. So yeah. It’s cool.

Oh, the Book Thief is a great book/movie! One of my favorite movies in Lincoln, which if you like hi-fi and politics I’d definitely look up. It’s a great film.

Holly Anne
        @holly-anne

Ok cool! I’ll look her up πŸ™‚ And yes, Hope did release it a little while ago πŸ™‚

Your WIP sounds really great! I love the sound of the twists in it!

Ok, I’ll have to look up that movie. Thanks πŸ™‚

What things do you really enjoy doing in writing? Like plots? Or setting? etc…

Mrs. Skywalker
          @padawanpadme

@holly-anne

Hey, Holly! Nice to meet ya!!! πŸ˜€

(Also I relate very much with embarrassing WIPs from younger years……*sobs*)

Your fave writing genres are SO COOL! What’s your favorite part about writing? Characters? Setting? Plot?

"I never made a deal with Kanjiklub."

Sarah Inkdragon
            @sarah-inkdragon

@holly-anne

Thank you!

Hmm, my favorite thing about writing would probably be creating characters, and world-building. I’m a huuuuuuge world-building nerd, and I love politics and social-economic relations, government systems, trade systems, etc. Characters are also super fun because I love creating interesting people. XD I love a complex world with complex characters. πŸ™‚

The Fledgling Artist
            @the-fledgling-artist

@holly-anne
            Hello! It’s been a while since I said hello to any newcomers, so I thought I’d come… And say hello. xD

If you haven’t already I highly recommend checking out SE’s blog and their guilds!

Can I ask what your WISM is about?

"Though I'm not yet who I will be, I'm no longer who I was."

Holly Anne
            @holly-anne

@padawanpadme

Nice to meet you *Bows πŸ™‚

Yep, definitely not ones I’ll be posting lol!!!

My favourite part is the prose and descriptions. I absolutely love doing really unusual and detailed descriptions. I love trying to really make people ‘see’ what I’m describing by using different sorts of metaphors etc…

And I love characters too.

Plot…um…yeah…

I just sit down and write, and then my whole plot and storyline change a lot as I write…

So I DO enjoy plot, but I’m not very good at sticking to the original one!!

How about you? What is your favourite part of writing?

@sarah-inkdragon

Cool! I love complex writing! So what kind of worlds do you like creating the most?

@the-fledgling-artist

Thanks πŸ™‚ Nice to meet you!

Yes, I have checked out their blog. It’s super helpful! I also have looked at the guilds, and I’m definitely going to join one!!!

I see that you’re part of Camp Artifex. What art stuff do you like doing?

My WISM has undergone numerous changes and rewritings over the past two years, and I’m still sorta trying to convince myself that it’s not now become 3 different ones….but yeah…it has.

So the one I’m am trying to start writing properly is an allegorical fantasy with a Moses-like figure, who grows up in the ‘dark-side’ and then slowly sees the truth about the Light and the Prince’s Promise. It’s quite a bit more complex though because he goes all undercover in the Lightkeepers(They’re the ‘goodies’) circles for ages so there is plenty of betrayal and suspense etc…

So that sounds super confusing, but I’m working on it!!!

I’m not really sure if I should just ditch it and work on some more compelling short stories though 😐

So yep…that’s why it’s my WISM, not WIP lol

The Fledgling Artist
              @the-fledgling-artist

@holly-anne

My interest in art and my interest in writing have collided and turned into an interest in creating graphic novels, so most of my artwork nowadays is of my beloved brainchildren or occasionally when I can muster the motivation to practice them, comic panel layouts. πŸ˜€

I can definitely relate to an everchanging project that has somehow drifted into somethingΒ completely different. xD My mc from my oldest project has little in common with who she originally was, aside from her name and a few other minor details.

I’m probably one of the least learned writers on the entire forum, but I don’t think your WISM needs to be ditched!! In my experience, you can’t really judge how compelling a project will be by the details you start with. For me at least, it’s more about what you do with them and how much TLC you can give the project! Kinda like nurturing a little seedling into a tall tree. :’D
              (also, I love allegorical fantasy, so I’m already feeling pretty intrigued by the idea.)

Sarah Inkdragon
              @sarah-inkdragon

@holly-anne

Hmm, probably fantasy or sci-fi. There’s so much you can do with the world-building in either of those settings, especially for magic systems. Steampunk is also great, but it’s a little more limited due to the setting.

Holly Anne
              @holly-anne

@the-fledgling-artist

Ok, that’s really cool! I love drawing, but I am definitely not good enough to do comics!! Yes, somehow I feel like my stories generally write themselves lol. Aww thanks for your encouragement πŸ™‚ I am definately going to try to finish this one lol!!! So, have you ever completed a full-length novel?

@sarah-inkdragon

Nice! I haven’t really tried anything steampunk, but I share your love of fantasy to be sure!!!

The Fledgling Artist
                @the-fledgling-artist

@holly-anne
                HAHA. If you don’t think you’re good enough to draw comics it probably means you’re a real artist. xDΒ Cause I don’t believe I’ve met a single artist who thinks their art is good enough.

Sadly I have not ever finished any of my projects. :’ D I procrastinate doing them, so I’m really more of a wannabe writer than an actual writer. Ahaha. I had the amazing opportunity to start a group project with several other artists, and we’re making good progress on that. My hope is once we get it done, having finished something will make my personal projects easier to get done.
                Have you finished any novels?

Holly Anne
                @holly-anne

Haha, yes, true XD

Sympathize with you about ‘wannabe writer’! I completed a ‘full-length’ chapter book when I was 12, and I have done a few short stories etc… But I have never completed a full novel sadly. Working on it πŸ™‚

That’s so cool that you are able to do that with other artists too!

Mrs. Skywalker
                  @padawanpadme

@holly-anne

Sorry about the late reply!

Oh, that is awesome! I could definitely take some pointers from you – description has never been my strong suit.

Also I FEEL YOU on plot. It is rather hard for me to come up with original plots *bangs head* But alas, I shall continue to try!

What is my favorite part of writing? I’d definitely say characters! I love coming up with who they are, their relationship with others, and how their backstory and lives affect who they are!

"I never made a deal with Kanjiklub."

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Learn What Readers Want

We compiled and analyzed how 300+Β readersΒ answered 18 questions about what they want to see in fiction. Get the free e-book and we'll also regularly send you resources to help you grow as a writer.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest