Dragon Size Question

Forums Fiction Research and Worldbuilding Dragon Size Question

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  K. A. Grey 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

WarrioroftheRealm
    @warrioroftherealm

Quick question for all my fellow world builders…

What do you guys think of this idea—a 600 foot dragon?

Does this sound too large? And if so, what size would you recommend (above 300 feet at least)?

Jackson E. Graham

Kayla Skywriter
      @kayla-skywriter

@warrioroftherealm

My first impulse is to say that a 600 foot dragon is too large. That is as tall as the Seattle Space Needle.

However, you could make it work. It would be hard to have interactions with the dragon.

So before I nix the idea I have a few questions.

1. Is this for a story you are working on or are you messing around with some ideas?
      2. If it is for a story, is the dragon sentient (can it speak at least in it’s own language, is it more than just a regular animal)?
      3. Is the dragon a mindless evil trying to destroy something?
      4. Is the dragon supposed to bond with anything (dragon or human) or will it be alone?

How we chose to fight is just as important as what we fight for

NCStokes
      @ncstokes

@warrioroftherealm That’s like almost twice the size of Godzilla, for perspective. Too large? I don’t know, you’d have to be careful with large buildings and easily stepped on humans, or else you could have a mess on your hands. But if he’s, say, an almost “unreal” creature (if that makes sense), and/or his size is an important part of the narrative, it could work. He would have to have a huge wingspan to fly, and would probably need to eat a lot.

*shameless self promotion* https://weridasusual.home.blog/

WarrioroftheRealm
      @warrioroftherealm

@ncstokes @kayla-skywriter

WOW. I have grossly underestimated my initial side idea! Thanks for the perspective! Now, off to measure how long 262 feet would look like…

Once again, thanks for the help!

Jackson E. Graham

Daeus Lamb
        @daeus-lamb

@warrioroftherealm 600 feet would be HUUUUUUGGEEE. Even 150 feet seems like a large-sized dragon to me. I mean, you can have a 600ft dragon, but that’s so powerful (and hard to feed) I don’t know how it could be fed or how anyone could possibly defeat it.

😀
        👕👍
        👖 🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kayla Skywriter
        @kayla-skywriter

@warrioroftherealm

Your welcome

How we chose to fight is just as important as what we fight for

K. A. Grey
        @k-a-grey

@warrioroftherealm   Well to put it into perspective, argentinosaurus, which was the largest dinosaur, was about 70 ft tall and 115 ft in length.   here’s how it compares to a human: 

And yes I realize dragons and dinosaurs are not the same.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by  K. A. Grey. Reason: disclaimer

"Atticus, he was real nice. . . .”
          “Most people are, Scout, when you finally see them.”

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Learn What Readers Want

We compiled and analyzed how 300+ readers answered 18 questions about what they want to see in fiction. Get the free e-book and we'll also regularly send you resources to help you grow as a writer.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest