Draft Two Help

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Draft Two Help

This topic contains 16 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Jenna Terese 6 days, 1 hour ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Noodle-Mum
    @noodle-mum

Heyo! ๐Ÿ™‚

Alrighty, so I wrote the first ‘draft’ of sorts for my book for a NaNoWriMo session I did (Got 50,005 words in Jan.) And i’m Fixing to do it again right now for July. Here’s the thing though…

For my first draft, I got 50,000 words but it wasn’t nearly enough and I was missing some pretty big and important scenes by the end of it. What my plan is for this NaNo isn’t necessarily word count, but getting those scenes that I need written down so I can have a fully completed draft and begin the next round of editing. (Since a lot had to change since the first draft, I’ve already gone through and edited stuff/know what needs to change with what I have.)

Here’s where I’m running into problems. I ‘know’ what scenes I need and what needs to change with the current chapters I have, but I don’t really know the best way to go about writing them in/completing the whole thing. What sort of things do you think I could do to help solidify the book in my head so I can get it onto paper? My current plan is to re-write the whole thing with the first draft open as a sort of ‘outline’ and add the missing scenes as I go, but is there any tips or tricks you guys know that could help me go about this? ๐Ÿ™‚

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@noodle-mum Ah yes! I am going through the same thing right now. So I’m not sure really what to suggest…

Noodle-Mum
    @noodle-mum

@evelyn I have written down most of the scenes I want to write and have a basic idea… I guess I’m just starting to feel a little daunted by it, lol!

What’s your WIP about? If you don’t mind me asking that is

PenSword
    @pensword

@noodle-mum

I would say yeah, just do what you laid out to do. I’m currently in the middle of that process in one of my WIPs. I have the old draft laid out, but it’s just my base outline now to change/add/remove things as I progress through basically the same story, but hopefully a better journey getting there.

As far as feeling daunted, I totally get that too.Honestly the only thing that really tends to help me through that is getting some friends to read it as I go, and bug me to keep working. It’s not a great motivation honestly, and I’d like it if I could find something else to rely on a little bit more, but it’s what’s working for me so far.

Another thing that helps is I have another story after this one that I really want to write, so keeping that as a carrot to get this one done is helpful.

Also, yes it’s a second draft, but it’sย just a second draft. It’s still closer to a first draft than a final draft, it doesn’t have to be perfect, and it doesn’t need to be pretty and polished. It’s still more about getting the story in a workable form right now than it being publishable. Give yourself permission to let it have errors, and don’t feel like it has to be its final form.

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@noodle-mum I guess, my situation is a little different, I wrote about one fourth of my first draft before I realized I needed to tell the story differently, and started over, transferring what I had from 3rd person to various 1st person. Now I’ve caught up and need to step back and figure out where I want the rest of the story to go.ย  I ended up cutting out a lot of scenes and fluff. My first draft of this much of the story was roughly 27,000 words…. now it’s 20,000. Mostly it happened because I began to flesh out my characters and they began changing slightly, tweaking their actions. I also ended up cutting out prose fluff that didn’t fit with my character’s voice. I also added about three or four scenes, but I didn’t really have them planned out like you do.

Being daunted by it… I get that! I’d say ( like @pensword ) don’t worry too much about grammatical errors or typos throughout the manuscript or even polishing prose, but just getting those scenes in. Focus on the story, not the words.

Sure, I don’t mind!ย My story is a science-fiction about a young man – poor, depressed, abused – caught up against his will into a huge war between time-travelers.

What is yours about?

Noodle-Mum
    @noodle-mum

@pensword Thanks! That’s actually really good advice. I realize now I was starting to edit more than actually write the scenes I need to write/rewrite the scenes I wanted to rewrite due to essential plot points and world building. And I was starting to comb over the sentences with a fine toothed comb like “no… it’s not *perfect*…” So, the reminder that it’s still just a second draft is really good! Thank you!

Honestly, I think if I let people start reading it now, I would be more worried about what their thoughts were on how I was doing things than actually getting more chapters written lol. But I might try it out with some *very* highly trusted friends. Thanks again for the advice! ๐Ÿ™‚

@evelyn OOooooh wow! That sounds like quiet the process! I got to about 51,000 words in my first official draft for my book… in my second draft I have about 2,000 hehe!

:O I love Time-Traveler stories! That sounds like a truly awesome idea!

And mine is about, basically, these four main characters who have formed a team and are on a mission to recover stolen artifacts and lost relics for the Holy and High King (God), and along the way, find out many secrets and mysteries! ๐Ÿ™‚ Essentially, the point of the book is to show the Healing and Loving power God has for us, and how He wants a relationship with us.

Noodle-Mum
    @noodle-mum

Welp… I wrote around 3,000 words today (and still going), which is great… is it for my NaNoWriMo/Current WIP?

*scrunched up face as I shrug*

noooo not necessarily…

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@noodle-mum Thank you! Yours sounds very interesting as well.

And it doesn’t matter. 3,000 words is still 3,000 words. ๐Ÿ˜€ Great job! *throws confetti*

Noodle-Mum
    @noodle-mum

Woot woot! Thanks for the encouragement! I know the writing people in my irl life were like “Alli… *eyeroll*”, albeit jokingly, it’s still nice to have confetti ๐Ÿ˜›

How’s your writing going @evelyn ? ๐Ÿ™‚

Selah
    @selah-chelyah

@noodle-mum and other topic stalkers…

I will tag some people that might be able to help you out. ๐Ÿ™‚

@daeus-lambย  @snapperย  @jane-mareeย  @brandon-millerย  @j-a-penroseย  @jenwriter17ย  @cindyย  @evelynย  @r-m-archer

• This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by  Selah.

"Get wet and sandy!" ~Instructor Reno
    "You will show respect!" ~The Bearded One

J.A.Penrose
    @j-a-penrose

@noodle-mum Ooooh. I am doing almost exactly what you’re doing! (Thanks for tagging me, @selah-chelyah)

The way I personally would suggest writing in, is as follows…

1. Write out a super detailed synopsis. (I personally prefer handwritten) A brand new one with alllll of the details. Include all of your information here.

2. Open your original draft document.

3. In a new window, (or whatever you do in Scrivener if you are lucky enough to have that) open a new, clean, document.

4. Rewrite entire novel, referring to your new synopsis, and your old draft. There may be things you can copy straight across, or there may be things you feel need rewriting anyway. You may also find new ideas to include details and foreshadowing this way.

That’s just my thoughts. Hope it helps! And good luck with the editing! *throws confetti for you*

Writer | Freelance editor
    Inspiration

Daeus Lamb
    @daeus-lamb

@noodle-mum A brainstorming partner might be helpful too. Someone you can bounce ideas off of.

๐Ÿ˜€
    ๐Ÿ‘•๐Ÿ‘
    ๐Ÿ‘– ๐Ÿข๐Ÿข๐Ÿข๐Ÿข๐Ÿข

Selah
    @selah-chelyah

@j-a-penrose

Of course! ๐Ÿ™‚

"Get wet and sandy!" ~Instructor Reno
    "You will show respect!" ~The Bearded One

Jenna Terese
    @jenwriter17

@noodle-mum Everyone already gave great answers. I would say rewrite your story’s outline on paper, writing in where you need to add scenes. Your plan of rewriting the draft with the original open as an outline would probably how I would personally go about it.

"If you want to change the world, pick up your pen and write." -Martin Luther
    www.jennaterese.com

Noodle-Mum
    @noodle-mum

@j-a-penrose

@daeus-lamb

@jenwriter17

Aaah, thanks everyone for the great advice! I think your idea’s about 1. Writing it down solidly and 2. having someone to bounce idea’s off of are great! ^_^ I’ll for sure start doing those and see how they work out!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Learn What Readers Want

We compiled and analyzed how 300+ย readersย answered 18 questions about what they want to see in fiction. Get the free e-book and we'll also regularly send you resources to help you grow as a writer.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest