*Doors burst open* Well, better late than never!

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself *Doors burst open* Well, better late than never!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 165 total)
  • Author
    ajaj2000
    @ajaj2000

@caleb-e-king and @corkybookworm

Hey guys! 😀

How are your works coming along?

Coralie
    @corkybookworm

@ajaj2000 Howdy! Well…for me personally, I’ve been pulling my hair out. I’m trying to work on my entry for the short story competition, but it isn’t going well. I’ve also been looking more into showing vs. telling because it’s an area I need to improve in, but practicing is very difficult, especially when I can’t really judge my own work XD How about you?

GraceBought
    https://gracebought.wordpress.com/

ajaj2000
    @ajaj2000

@corkybookworm

Hi, Coralie 🙂

Good luck on that contest just remember that hardships are just a small rock you need to figure out how to jump over 🙂

Learning how to do things is cool I have no idea how well my showing vs telling is XD

Lately, I’ve been trying to figure out my WIPs’ themes but all I came up with is two new story ideas (thanks brain for being distracted by Mum’s movie watching and for dreaming interesting ideas :P)

Coralie
    @corkybookworm

@ajaj2000 Ooh, I like that saying a lot. I’ll remember that. That’s a good way to look at it!

The staff of this site seem to emphasize it a lot, and many theorize that showing is more professional or better-quality writing than telling. However, after my research, I personally am coming to the conclusion that telling is just as important as showing. It’s just a matter of when to use what method. It’s like saying apples are better than broccoli, which is partially a matter of personal taste, but it also depends on what you’re using it for. I mean, broccoli pie isn’t near so appealing as apple pie. Similarly, apples wouldn’t be nearly so appetizing as broccoli in a casserole with rice and cheese and such. Anywho, that’s just the way I’m coming to look at it. I need to learn how to show better and then I need to learn when to show and when to tell.

Intentional themes are a relatively new idea to me too. I usually just write the stories I have and discover new worlds and characters. But I really like the idea of honing in on a theme. It has proven challenging thus far! Whoot whoot! You can never have too many story ideas! I keep track of mine all in a journal, and many of them started as dream tidbits. 🙂

GraceBought

ajaj2000
    @ajaj2000

@corkybookworm

Your welcome 🙂

I agree 😀 sometimes showing can be just a time waster where telling can be used

That’s how it’s been so far with me as well, it makes you wonder what you’re missing

That’s true 😀 I just wish it wasn’t the only thing my mind makes up sometimes.

Hey, what is it like having a blog?

Coralie
    @corkybookworm

@ajaj2000 Eh, it’s kind of strange, kind of refreshing, kind of exciting, and kind of challenging. XD I love the accountability. I’ve only got like 23 followers, (and I’m thankful for every one!) but I’ve got a set schedule for posting updates and that keeps me writing something every week. It’s refreshing to have that accountability and exciting to have something to call my own, a place that is completely organized the way I want it to be. I’m still new to it, so I’ve got plenty to learn and it feels weird to write something other than fiction and publish it online. It’s almost like sharing your journal, but with more intentionality in what you write.

GraceBought

ajaj2000
    @ajaj2000

@corkybookworm

That sounds cool (and challenging :P)

I’m thinking of making my own one day mostly because I heard that having a platform before you look to be published helps a lot. Other than that I would have no idea what to do with it least of all what to name it XD

I hope you’re doing well with the contest I probably should stop distracting you XD (Not to mention I need to get back to my own writing projects :P)

Caleb E. King
    @caleb-e-king

Lol sorry I’m so late. Haven’t checked Story embers in a while. Right now I’m kind of at a stand still with my work. Feeling a little discouraged. 😕

Young Writer. Crazy Reader. Happy Cartoonist. Author of www.calebeking.com
    Proud Meerkat!

ajaj2000
    @ajaj2000

@caleb-e-king

Hey, bro

That’s too bad 🙁

What seems to be the problem?

Caleb E. King
    @caleb-e-king

Weeeeell, I’m getting the first novel I ever wrote beta read. Unfortunately I had no idea what theme and stuff was back then and even tho the writing is good, there isn’t much theme…only the stuff I tried to slip in in later edits. I know that stories can be okay without much of a character arc and theme and stuff, and that some are amazing without all that, but it’s kinda getting me down. 😕

And I don’t want to completely rewrite the story from scratch cuz…it’s gone so far. I’ve already edited several times and such, and now I just don’t know what to do. I could try to fill out my small theme, but it’ll be hard work. 😔

And I don’t want to stop working on it cuz I feel like it’s still good enough to self-publish and market and everything. 😬

Proud Meerkat!

Coralie
    @corkybookworm

@caleb-e-king You can do it! RAH RAH RAH! 😀

Hey, most of my stuff isn’t theme centered, and the works that are aren’t intentionally so. I never heard of theme-based writing til I came here. It’s a totally new concept to me! So, all that to say, you are not alone, my friend! What’s your story about??

@ajaj2000
    Huh, I never really thought about building a platform in that way. I mean, duh, of course it makes sense. I guess I just am not anywhere near ready to publish any of my work so it never occurred to me as a starter author page so to speak. Though…I do want to post some writing in the hopes that I can get some feedback. It’s so hard to find feedback anywhere outside of my family (and even then it’s not often) it seems!!

You’re no distraction! You’re an encouragement! 😉 How are your projects coming so far?

GraceBought

ajaj2000
    @ajaj2000

@caleb-e-king

Hey, Caleb 🙂

If you think it’s finished and your test readers think it’s finished then I believe it’s good and finished! 🙂

You got to remember that your work won’t be a hundred percent perfected and that anyone can find fault in it, either it is because of their own personal stuff or something that is actually there.

You just got to remember that your role is making the story the best and most enjoyable it can be, not making it perfect 🙂

@corkybookworm

Hi, Coralie 🙂

I’m not near publication either that’s why I don’t have one yet XD

Are you by any chance part of a guild? Or thinking about it? I’m in one and there is a critiques section and it may be quicker to get feedback there 🙂

Well I was going to start an outline on the night of the 24th but my laptop wanted to update (the long kind) and my cat also decided to become territorial of the place I was going to sit so yeah XD

I’m thinking of trying again on the 26th but we’ll see >_>

Caleb E. King
    @caleb-e-king

Aww thanks guys. This is really encouraging. 🙂
    Yeah, see my beta reader was the one that said it didn’t have much of a theme, and he said the story was kinda slow without it.

@corkybookworm
    are you by any chance part of Ydubs? If you are we could all make a PM together and chat! I don’t think their are PMs on this forum other than guilds which are sorta like PMs I think but you get chosen randomly, so…

Proud Meerkat!

ajaj2000
    @ajaj2000

@caleb-e-king

Hello, Caleb 🙂

What does your beta reader mean by slow?

Caleb E. King
    @caleb-e-king

Well, he said that for some reason the story felt slow in places. *shrugs* idk. He also said that there wasn’t internal conflict and stuff like that, so it was kind a little boring I think.

Proud Meerkat!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 165 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest