Does Anyone Tabletop?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Does Anyone Tabletop?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Karla Van Der Berg
    @blueberry

Hello fellow creative nut jobs!

So if my goblin avatar wasn’t a big give away, my hobby (besides art and writing) is Tabletop RPGs! As of late I use my own home brew system but before that I was part of a long running Star Wars campaign and have recycled tons of characters from that storyline. I am usually the dungeon master in these shenanigans , and even the book I am going to publish is based off a campaign I hosted. I wanna know if any of you other geeks out here enjoy this type of shindig and what systems you use. Has is helped you improve your writing or even inspired it, like it did in my case? Can’t wait to see what my fellow dungeon crawlers have to say if you are out there! -K

R.M. Archer
      @r-m-archer

My whole immediate family plays D&D and it’s a ton of fun. We currently have three campaigns going, I think? And I’m working on writing a fourth set in Kaladesh, one of the planes from Magic the Gathering (which we don’t play (yet), but the worlds and artwork are super cool. The desert fantasy/sci-fi thing drew me in to Kaladesh.) I’m having a lot of fun with the worldbuilding (I may or may not be changing some of the world’s set geography because it doesn’t fit what I envisioned before finding all the info they’d already written up), and I’m going mildly overboard with the NPCs. XD I’m super excited for us to get to play it, though, and I think our characters are finally ready to start on the first couple encounters I have set up. ^-^

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. ENFP. Singer.

Karla Van Der Berg
      @blueberry

@r-m-archer, that is super cool! I wish my familly did that, but I am the only one in my familly into that sort of thing. My brother is also a huge nerd, but he isn’t very creative, and is more likely to play an MMO or some other kind of video game if he wants an RPG experience. Even then RPGs are far from his favorite genre and he prefers things like Minecraft, Racing Games, and Terreria. Ah well, my current guild will have members close to the double digits when we meat up again, which will be interesting since RPG games are usually discouraged from getting too big. Oh well, as GM I will figure out a way to make the large player count work. XD

Veraza Winterknight
        @kari-karast

@blueberry

Hi! I’m late, but I love RPG!!! I’ve only played, like, 2, but… I still love it! XD I’ve played the Star Wars one Edge of the Empire last year and a D&D one several years ago. And some more games that might be classified as RPGs but I have no clue whether they actually are or not.

@r-m-archer

Did you say Magic the Gathering??? Do you play the card game or just the RP?

"You can dance with my henchman."

Karla Van Der Berg
        @blueberry

@kari-karast Star Wars was my introduction to the RPg world as well! Ah, I had such a fun time terrorizing my fellow players with my nutty gag characters, who had tragic backstories that caused them to have some unique quirks. Like the one that could hardly speak galactic basic and got words confused. XD

Veraza Winterknight
          @kari-karast

@blueberry

Muaha. How did that go? XD

Do you remember which Star Wars RPG you played?(or still do XD)

R.M. Archer
          @r-m-archer

@kari-karast

I occasionally play the card game, but my dad and I haven’t fully figured out how it works yet so we don’t play it very often. I mostly appreciate the artwork and worldbuilding. XD I tend to prefer the storytelling that you get with D&D.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by R.M. Archer.

Veraza Winterknight
          @kari-karast

@r-m-archer

Storytelling is good.

To be honest, I don’t know too much of Magic lore, although I want to know more about it. A LOT more. And the artwork is indeed wonderful.

If you don’t mind me asking, what haven’t you figured out yet? I might be able to help.

R.M. Archer
          @r-m-archer

@kari-karast

Just… the mechanics. My dad’s more interested in learning it, so he’d know more specifically what we still don’t know. 😛 We know basically how to play it, but there are special abilities that we’re not sure how to work with and that kind of thing.

Karla Van Der Berg
          @blueberry

@kari-karast I played the one that takes place during the clone wars, whichever one that was…

Veraza Winterknight
            @kari-karast

@r-m-archer

Ah… the ever bothersome special abilities.

If it’s like, the newer special abilities than I have no clue whatsoever cuz we don’t really get the new stuff. But with older abilities… I think I know most of them? I think it mostly just depends which cards you have in your deck, whether or not they fit well with each other. That, and strategy.

@blueberry

*shrugs* I’m not sure… but I like the clone wars.

Have you played the SW one Force and Destiny? I’ve been interested in playing that one for a long time, but just haven’t gotten around to buying it yet.

Karla Van Der Berg
            @blueberry

@kari-karast Ah, I am afraid that the clone wars one was my only one. I also played homebrew systems and a Pokémon tabletop. The Pokémon was nuts, and non of the players cared for the story at all. Instead of following the mission they got arrested, burnt down coffee shops, and ignored the fact their characters had any established character traits. Honestly it was like an entertaining train wreck I could not look away from.

Veraza Winterknight
              @kari-karast

@blueberry

Really?? That does sound entertaining. And they must have really hated coffee…

What exactly does ‘homebrew system’ mean? That you just made up the entire story yourself?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest