Does 5 years of experience count if I started at 11

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Does 5 years of experience count if I started at 11

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

So I’ve been writing Consistently for five years which sounds all good and well except for the fact that I started at 11. What I want to know is does it still count? Cause at 11 I was hardly producing anything worth reading. I know that’s everyone who first starts out but could it have been even worse since I was so young? Does experience as a kid even matter at all?

Naiya Dyani
      @naiya-dyani

@phoenix Of course. Kid experience with not-so-great writing just means you’re getting your bad-writing-phase over with sooner. 😉 I’ve written off-and-on since I was 11.

Hearts are like matter--they can be beaten down, torn, and burned, but they cannot be destroyed.

Taylor Clogston
        @taylorclogston

@phoenix I don’t think that’s the most healthy way to look at it.

If I used the same reckoning as you, I’ve been writing for almost 20 years. A good 95% of my skill developed in the latter 15 of those years, and probably 75% of my skill developed over a span of about fourteen months only a few years ago.

Don’t look at whatever writing you’ve done in the past as something holding you back today. If you can take a lesson from some identified failure, then cool, do that. Otherwise, what does any past experience “count?” What does that even mean? As I say to an obnoxious degree around here, practice doesn’t make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Experience as a kid matters if you developed your skill as a kid. Experience as a teen or an adult matters if it resulted in developed skill. The best time to plant a tree is yesterday, etc.

There is not a literal 1,000,000 word prerequisite to start writing anything good. It’s all about deliberate and purposeful learning as often as you can achieve it. Which, for the most part, means constantly pushing your creative boundaries by tiny degrees and, ideally, having mentors who are able to nudge you in the correct direction if you stray.

"...the one with whom he so sought to talk has already interceded for him." -The Master and Margarita

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest