fb

Do I Dare?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    EricaWordsmith
    @ericawordsmith

@evelyn

Yes… I just finished my first SAT practice test… I’ve got work to do… and about 11 days to raise my score by a little over 200 to get a scholarship that I want to get… So writing… (tears) will be second place. But I aim to try (said with a feisty Scottish accent).

@emgc
    and @anne-of-lothlorien

Thanks for the advice, it’s a hard pill though, as I am a Discovery Writer (I just can’t call myself a pantser, it sounds stupid). I did go out and plan a little today and decided on the moral of the story/the antagonist’s main motive. That made me happy, and I’ve decided on going with story #2. I have to agree, I LOVE stories that have a gloomy/creepy beginning, the end is just more beautiful. The film… Oh my dear… It gives me chills in the beginning!!! And Dicken… That’s part of the reason why I’m working on the idea. Because there’s so obviously something between Mary and Dicken, and Colin says he wants to marry Mary, you just have to wonder how it all plays out when they grow up!! That has intrigued me for a while… So I’m basically changing the story up a little, but making it be when they’re all older (the girl comes to her uncle’s home when she’s 16 instead of 10). That way it all works out.

I totally agree about the don’t look back to edit thing, that’s how I wrote my first book. It took several months to write a 70,000 word draft (Discovery Written) and I’ve been editing ever since. Now it’s outrageously long, but that wasn’t the plan, and I’m cutting down. XD This book I want to be between 70,000 and 90,000 by the time it’s ready.

Tek an ohta! Tek an cala!

EricaWordsmith
    @ericawordsmith

@evelyn

Oh wait, I tried to invite you on the NaNo website, but it didn’t go through. Do you want to try mine? It’s the same username as on here. EricaWordsmith

Chelsea R.H.
    @seekjustice

@ericawordsmith

Sorry to interrupt, but…AHHH you’re doing NaNo? Me too! I also did it last year and @emgc has some really good advice (Also, have we met? I’m not sure if we have *shakes hand*)

And I definitely vote for the second one. I’ve never seen The Secret Garden but I absolutely love the novel and the Broadway musical! I have three hundred different ideas for Secret Garden retellings, but I’d love to see how yours turned out!

Ceud mile failte

E. Grace
    @emgc

@seekjustice

Oh, hey, you are doing it!  That’s great!  (How’s your hand injury, by the way?)

"True humility is not thinking less of yourself; it is thinking of yourself less." - C. S. Lewis

E. Grace
    @emgc

@ericawordsmith

I hope it was helpful– though I can totally understand if you prefer not to outline.  For me it’s just really easy to get stuck if I don’t have a general outline of the plot already figured out. 🙂

Hope you find something that works for you!

"True humility is not thinking less of yourself; it is thinking of yourself less." - C. S. Lewis

Chelsea R.H.
    @seekjustice

@emgc

I’m going to try  (and I’m pretending that hand injury doesn’t exist)

Ceud mile failte

E. Grace
    @emgc

@seekjustice

Ah, I see. Good luck to you!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by E. Grace.

EricaWordsmith
    @ericawordsmith

@seekjustice

Welcome to the place where strange people who already are overwhelmed and can hardly find time to write the books they are already working on to try the insane ordeal of NaNoWriMo (some for the first time and are about to be blown to bits). Shakes hand back firmly (I hate limp biscuit handshakes, and yes, that is the official name of weak handshakes in our house). I don’t think we’ve met, but as long as we’ve started with a firm handshake, we’re starting off well. 🙂

I’ve been wanting to see the musical!! Is it good?? I am another fan… Thus you have the retelling. I’m glad I’m not the only one who finds the idea of retelling interesting.

Chelsea R.H.
    @seekjustice

@ericawordsmith

In my circles its known as the “Dead fish” handshake, but I know what you mean 🙂 It’s terrible either way.

I haven’t actually seen the musical, because I live in a remote corner of the world where Broadway does not touch. But thanks to the internet, I listen obsessively to the soundtrack.

Ceud mile failte

Chelsea R.H.
    @seekjustice

@ericawordsmith

And yes, it’s very good. I love it. I think it’s my….fourth or third favourite musical. And I listen to a lot of musicals, so that’s pretty high praise.

Ceud mile failte

eden anderson
    @eden-anderson

@anne-of-lothlorien

Yeah, I’ve actually seen Ever After!! And it is a great movie, I have to admit…I forgot about that one. 😀

"But how could you live and have no story to tell?" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Hedges
    @h-jones

Ooh, I love the second idea, I really do. Mostly because the Secret Garden is, like, one of my favorite stories of all time, and I just really love anything where there are mansions and a boy/girl tag team and they explore and do awesome things. Easily one of my favorite tropes. xD And it seems like it could really blossom into something interesting! I would definitely read it. P:

As for NaNoWriMo, lordy, I’m wondering if I should do that myself, but have never completed it ever. Tried once, I think. Regardless of what you decide, good luck!! 🙂

Married a blacksmith, and now frequently uses his knowledge for writing fantasy.

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@emgc Yes! I am doing it… but as a rebel. *slides out sunglasses*

😉

I’m just taking my WIP and trying to finish it.

What about you?

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@ericawordsmith Sure! I can try, but it might be a day or two before I get to that… (computer complications 😛 )

E. Grace
    @emgc

@evelyn

I’m going to–attempt– to do it the normal way. 😉 But, I’ve never actually finished a novel before, so I am a little intimidated by the word count… So, all I know is that I’m going to give it my best, and hope I don’t succumb to a heart attack in the process. XD
    Good luck to you!

P.S. Just curious, what guild are you a member of?  I saw the badge, but I don’t know which guild it belongs to.  Love the insignia, though!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest