Do I Dare?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    EricaWordsmith
    @ericawordsmith

Hello again everybody, I am out of the Hobbit Hole today. I have a question…

So, for me, I have a series of four books that I will one day publish, but I have the idea that because I don’t want to self-publish them, I should write a single novel and publish it through self-publishing, if anything to put my name out there. I have been toying with the idea of doing a NaNoWriMo novel this year… And I have two ideas.

1. I went to a music camp in Florida this summer, and it was awesome (I refer to this event as SMA [Summer Music Academy]). They had us do 8 minute musicals of the story of Jonah, and on top of that, I have a ton of funny ideas from my two weeks  in Florida that would make for a hilarious allegory of the story of Jonah (heavily dosed with camp references that nobody would get except for my SMA people). A swashbuckling fantasy story, and I have interesting ideas churning in my head. The ideas consist of a princess who gets abducted by her own allies because she doesn’t want them to know that she is the princess. She ends up on a ship with an interesting crew (based off of people from SMA), and with them, she ends up heading to an enemy kingdom.

2. A story loosely based on The Secret Garden film. I know it is a depressing children’s film, but I adore it. I would basically take some of the main ideas and put it into a fantasy setting, more of a refined almost steampunk sort of feel (not quite steampunk, but similar, maybe a little more like Alice in Wonderland/1500’s England?). It would be a more serious story, but I would really love to write it. This one (if you have seen the film) would be a little more of a rich young orphan who ends up at her uncle’s house. She ends up stuck in a bit of family trouble that circulates the mansion, a creepy antagonist who is trying to use her uncle to his own means, and a common boy who works about the mansion as her best ally. I haven’t completely worked out the ideas, but I am very intrigued with it.

So, first of all, what do y’all think? Which story ideas (loose as they are) appeals more to y’all?

Secondly, have any of y’all ever survived NaNoWriMo? I would love some advice on that, as I have the SAT coming up in the beginning of November, and other things all throughout it. Is there any survival tips y’all have? If anybody knows of forum people who have done NaNoWriMo, please tag them for me.

So, to start off with, I’ll tag my normal people and ask them what they like better, story one or story two.

@evelyn

@wordsmith

@eden-anderson

@anne-of-lothlorien

Now adding

@h-jones

Tek an ohta! Tek an cala!

Eden Anderson
      @eden-anderson

@ericawordsmith

*comes flying into the room and tackle hugs you* YAY!! Hedgehugs all around!!!🦔

This is a hard choice…I kinda want to vote for story one, because I love ships, and the sea and sailors and comedy and it sounds like it got a lot of potential to be funny. But I basically grew up on The Secret Garden, so… 😀   And I like when people take well known fairy tales and children’s stories and create their own versions. (If it’s done right and it doesn’t involve Cinderella…Cinderella is just fine how it is, thank you. 😛)

So, I think I’m gonna vote for story two.

"But how could you live and have no story to tell?" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

EricaWordsmith
      @ericawordsmith

@eden-anderson

HEDGEHUGS!!!!! I’m sorry, I am tickled pink by how cute that is, and I get a kick out of it every time I see you use it. I LOVE IT!!!! Hedgehogs are such AWESOME LITTLE STINKERS!!!!!!!

I’m torn between the two, because I love a good swashbuckling story, and I am going to make everybody who knows the SMA jokes roll over and die, but I also love the second one… I adore The Secret Garden. It’s just a gorgeous movie, gorgeous soundtrack, gorgeous story, adorable kids (Dicken is SO STINKING ADORABLE!!!!! I have a thing for little boys in suspenders [and my little 5 year old brother does it all the time, classy little guy]). I really just love some of the concepts…

And I wholeheartedly agree. NO MORE CINDERELLA!!!!!!!! There’s SO MANY Cinderella stories out there… It is annoying.

Eden Anderson
        @eden-anderson

@ericawordsmith

🦔 = ❤️

you = ❤️❤️❤️

😊

The Secret Garden is awesome! And Dicken is really cute and so are little boys in suspenders. I bet your little brother is adorable!

I really like the original Cinderella fairy tale and so I get annoyed when people change it and twist it all around and…ugh. (Also, have you seen the 2015 adaption of Cinderella, because that is my absolute favorite.😀)

Anyway, best wishes on which ever you choose! GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

Evelyn
        @evelyn

@ericawordsmith “AAHHH”

(Translation: Both sound amazing… 😉 )

If I had to pick though, I’d go for the second.

And you’re doing NaNoWriMo? Do you want to be my “writing buddy” on the website? 🙂

And on a side note…. @eden-anderson What happened to your profile picture?? *tear* I miss the hedgehog. :'(

Eden Anderson
        @eden-anderson

Oh, and @ericawordsmith

I just went and stalked your blog and it was there that I fully realized what a hardcore LOTR fan you are…and now I have one question:

CAN I ADOPT YOU AS MY SISTER???

(you are totally so awesome!😀😀😀)

EricaWordsmith
        @ericawordsmith

@eden-anderson

You are super sweet!! 😉

I adore that style… I have a weakness for that, and anything else classy like that… Little stinker (brother) is adorable and he knows it… It’s hilarious how much he just soaks up the attention… (he needs some humility) but I adore him. XD

YES!!!!!!!!!! Oh. My. Goodness. I love that movie!!! It is SO SWEET!!!!!

Thanks a lot!!!

Eden Anderson
          @eden-anderson

@evelyn

Yeah, I know…BUT I LOVE LIONS TOO!! They are so cool and majestic!! (I actually like almost any animal…so you might see a possum as my next profile pic…who knows.😛)

But just because I changed my profile pic doesn’t mean Ferdinand is gone…He’s still very much alive and well and gorging himself on chocolate and tea. (He’s a very sophisticated hedgehog.) 😀

EricaWordsmith
          @ericawordsmith

@eden-anderson

Haha!!! Yes you may!!! I haven’t posted in forever… I need to get back to it… It all stopped when a thermos leaked all over my laptop…

I use the family computer now, but that definitely has cut back on my writing. 🙁

I’m glad you like it though!!! You are welcome to haunt all my previous posts!!

@evelyn

I am thinking very strongly that I will attempt it, although it will be a battle to complete it. November is going to be packed.

Have you done it before?? If so, fill me in!!!

That would be really cool!! What is your username on the site? 🙂

Eden Anderson
            @eden-anderson

😀

Okay, well I hope you find some more people who can give you advice about NaNoWriMo! See ya around!

Evelyn
            @evelyn

@eden-anderson Glad to know he’s alive and doing well! *heart eye emoji* So adorable!!!! <3

@ericawordsmith No I have not done it before – this is my first time to try it, but I might just be 120 pages behind in Latin, and 10 lessons behind in math… a tiny bit behind in school… so we’ll see if I survive. 😉

I’m “Evvie Grace” on the website. (Nickname from my sister. 🙂 )

EricaWordsmith
            @ericawordsmith

@evelyn

First timers. Oh boy, here we go… (Close my eyes and jump off the cliff)

I’m in the same boat… SAT, CLEP and a ton of other crazy stuff… So I’m potentially going to crash and burn. XD

Evelyn
              @evelyn

@ericawordsmith Well, at least we’re in the same boat. xD

If you ever need someone to rant at or vent with, just let me know and we can groan about our stupidity for jumping over the cliff together. 🙂

E. Grace
              @emgc

@ericawordsmith

Did I hear someone mention NaNoWriMo? XD
              I’m going to be trying it for the first time this year and I got some excellent advice from my awesome guild master, @morreafirebird (who, sadly, is resigning. *sigh…*), so I hope she doesn’t mind me quoting her here…;)

TIPS:
              “1) outline well before the start
              2) try to set aside a specific time each day to write
              3) try to stay ahead of the minimum word count for each day in case an emergency comes up and you can’t write one day.

That being said… if you’re a fast writer, don’t start out too fast or you’ll get burnt out.”

(sorry, Audrey… 🙂 )

I hope it goes well for you! I know how daunting writing 50,000 words in one month in between a busy schedule can be…so good luck!

@evelyn
              You’re doing NaNoWriMo too? That’s awesome! Are you going to do it the normal way, or as a NaNo Rebel?
              Good luck to you as well!

"True humility is not thinking less of yourself; it is thinking of yourself less." - C. S. Lewis

Anne of Lothlorien
              @anne-of-lothlorien

@ericawordsmith

I am honored to be titled a ‘usual person’. Thank you, m’lady.

I VOTE THE SECOND ONE!!! Secret Garden is an amazing children’s story, and I love that idea, and yes, Dicken is adorable. He was actually one of my first fictional character crushes when I was young.

It sounds like a really interesting adaptation, and I actually like stories that are a bit more melancholy and gloomier, like Secret Garden, because usually in the end the happiness is that much more happy. I say go for that one.

BTW, @eden-anderson, the best Cinderella movie I’ve seen is Ever After, with Drew Barrymore. Old, but AMAZING! It has a very few bits of language, and some kisses, and I would say only for 12 and up, but it’s really good.

My brother’s actually taking the SAT in November. I plan to take it next year. No plans for college, but I want to take some classes in Special Ed, so I need the SAT for that.

I have done NaNoWriMo before. Once. When I was fourteen. And this is my advice.

It’s good to plan, it’s good to outline, it’s good to have stuff prepared. But I went into it with no story ideas except a girl during dystopian 1950’s when an unidentified army had taken us over after WWII. And I did it. 65,000 words with no plan or forethought. So it’s okay to not have everything planned out. The most important thing is…

DON’T. STRESS.

About any aspect of it. If you get behind 8,000 words, just keep your calm and trudge on. Don’t beat yourself up or wear yourself out trying to get ahead, or finish faster, if you just need to take it at a steady pace.

That said, if you find you can write more than the absolute minimum for each day to finish, DO IT. You will be so grateful when you accidentally skip a day.

Also, I wouldn’t advise editing a lot. I know it’s a hard temptation to resist, but it can bog you down and slow your progress. Just write through and when you’re done and finished celebrating, then you can go back and polish. A lot. 🙂

And my final advice. When you’re finished, EVEN IF YOU DID NOT WRITE AN ENTIRE NOVEL… CELEBRATE!!! You did something amazing even if you didn’t complete it all. My mode of celebration was hot cocoa, chocolate, screaming to my friends about it in an email, then watching a movie. 🙂

Hope this helps!

I'm short, I like words, and I love people.
                No, I didn't draw my profile pic.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest