deviantART?

Forums Art Art Discussions deviantART?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Grace
    @h-jones

Does anyone use this? What do you think of the website?

Tagging a few artists I know of; @the-fledgling-artist @dekreel

Just wondering because I recently rejoined (used to have an account a long time ago), but the environment is… iffy at best. I’m just wondering what the rest of your artists think about it, if you have one at all.

Secretly Hedgehog Jones. Don’t tell anyone.

The Fledgling Artist
      @the-fledgling-artist

I just typed out a really long response, and that exact moment the internet blipped out. 😬 I don’t have time to redo it right now but I think I can tomorrow (if not sooner)

Meanwhile here are more artists @slisby @dragonpearlninja @sageinthemeadow

"Though I'm not yet who I will be, I'm no longer who I was."

Sageinthemeadow
      @sageinthemeadow

@h-jones I don’t use it, but I sometimes go there for inspiration, etc. But yes, from what I’ve seen there’s a lot of weird stuff on there.

https://sageinthemeadow.wordpress.com

Sarah Louise
      @slisby

@the-fledgling-artist Thanks for the tag!

@h-jones I personally haven’t had a bad experience with it quite yet, but I do agree there is a ton of dodgy stuff on the main pages that makes me question my decision to put my own art there… I was super nervous about it when I first joined due to all of the horror stories regarding trolls and commissions– but it’s been a year since then, and so far I can only really describe my experience as pleasant. I’ve learnt to mostly keep away from the ‘Newest’ art page, since that’s where most of the weird stuff is…and as for the community, I’ve found that the majority of artists I have actually interacted with are actually quite genuine and encouraging! That’s not to say that I haven’t seen others struggling with drama with between users stealing art– as well as trolls roaming all over the place, but I guess that’s to be expected on such a massive site?

But yeeeah… While my own experience has been okay, I don’t really think I’d outright enthuisastically recommend the site either. It’s great to put youself and your art out there, but if you start having problems there, then it’s not particularly worth staying in my opinion. 🙂

"Not all who wander are lost.

...But I sure am." -doge

The Fledgling Artist
      @the-fledgling-artist

@h-jones

Okay, so I haven’t ever used the site for anything as of yet (probably never will, but I’m getting ahead of myself) so I can’t really give you a good overview of the pros and cons. Nevertheless, here are my opinions.

I think the main reason I don’t have any interest in the site is for the questionable content. I don’t really want to see that stuff, and I certainly don’t want to be the reason my friends and family stumble across it.  However I am sure one could learn to avoid it, like slisby said she has.

Another thing to consider is what kind of audience you are looking for. On Deviant art your audience will most likely be at least 90% other artists. Whereas on other social media I think you would have more of a mixed audience. (Though I could be wrong about that. *shrugs* )

I think another reason I don’t have deviant art (or any other social media displaying my art) is simply because I’m not really interested in getting a following right now. And I’m not sure what other reason anyone would want to post their art online. This isn’t entirely relevant to deviant art, but If you are wanting to get some kind of online following Its good to think about why. If you don’t go in with defined goals it would be (at least for me) easy to waste time on it, or become obsessed with how many likes or followers I get.

Grace
      @h-jones

@sageinthemeadow @slisby @the-fledgling-artist Thank you all so much for your input! This has truly been helpful, and I appreciate the time you put in to assist. 🙂 All of your points are very good. Like Slisby, what I’ve been doing so far is just avoiding the “new art” tab like the plague, and it’s been pretty good so far. How long have you been on the site, Slisby?

Fledgling, ah yes, that’s really true about your followers being other artists. However, I have discovered that being in a community with so many artists also increases my artistic abilities, which is nice! I’ve never thought about the fact that the “following” might become a drive for me, though. Hm. *thinking emoji*

I suppose I’ll just keep doing it for now, and see how it turns out. *shrug*

The Fledgling Artist
        @the-fledgling-artist

@h-jones What is your username on the site? *cough notlikeI’mwantingtostalkyouonthereoranything cough*

Grace
        @h-jones

@the-fledgling-artist Haha!! xDD It’s @heathah-heathah. Feel free to stalk as much as you’d like. xDDDD

Karla Van Der Berg
          @blueberry

I am on DA, becuase I wanna stalk my favorite artists and get a following like the narcissist I am. It’s alright, and it’s pretty easy to stay away from the super cringey stuff if you just stay away from the front page and the more iffy fandoms.

(Unfortunately those ‘iffy’ fandoms include stuff I like: such as video game franchises and anime. So I usually get a few nasty surprises when I am looking up cool pictures of My Hero Academia Characters or the Mario Princesses…etc :P)

Though I have interacted with people who are more into the iffy stuff, and usually as long as you don’t go poking them with a stick they leave you be and don’t force their unusual interests down your throat.

However it is waaaay harder to get a following on DA than I thought. I only have a few regular comentors, and they are usually more interested in my occasional fan art than mostly original stuff save for one or two. I think DA is much more fandom centric at the moment than originality centric. Even really big artists that do orginal things usually got their start in fanart or fanfics. Since I like to occasionally sketch a fan doodle, but prefer to leave finished pieces for my orginal things…It’s kinda hard for me to get noticed on there. It’s nobody’s fault tho, so I am not bitter about it. It’s just one of those things, DA has a large fan art community and that’s probably how it will always be.

Plus I am part of the problem since 90% of my favorites are fan art soo…yeah…My friend suggested I give Tumblr a go and I might have an easier time finding my kind of audience there. Though Tumblr has its own fair share of stereotypes…so I will see how that goes! *Nervous eye twitch.* Even if DA was not the key to overnight success like I had hoped, I am still going to continue with it and have fun talking to some of my favorite artists. 🙂 Best of luck to any fellow artists who wanna try getting noticed! ^_^

Grace
            @h-jones

@blueberry Thank you so much for your input! I appreciate it… what’s your dA? xD

Karla Van Der Berg
              @blueberry

@h-jones Some-idiot-On-da, because I felt like a comedian when I created that user. XD

Grace
                @h-jones

@blueberry Bwahahaa!! xDD Awesome.

Tess
                  @thetessinator

Ugh, DA. It’s…strange at best, inappropriate and horrifying at worst. I don’t find the few good things about it to be worth all the nasty stuff. I have one, but I don’t use it.

I'm an ENFP - fluent in English, jokes, confusing art teminology, MBTI, and maniacal screaming.

Grace
                  @h-jones

@thetessinator Yeah :/ It is certainly pretty bad. I suppose I should just pray about it.

Sarah Louise
                    @slisby

@h-jones Aha, it’s been a while since I’ve been able to drop in, but yay! Glad it was somewhat helpful 😀 In answer to your question, I have no idea for sure, but the site tells me that I’ve been there for about a year at least ^-^

@blueberry If I may drop in randomly, personally I’ve found tumblr a bit more difficult than DA to pick up followers, but that’s just my own experience so far. ^-^ Fan-art will definitely give you a boost, but yeah, from what I’ve seen with other users, some followers tend to get a bit cranky when an artist strays from that ‘cos it’s, and I quote, “Not what they signed up for.” …Part of the reason I rarely ever post fanart, but hey– draw whatever you want and don’t worry about audiences ^-^ Be consistent, and they’ll show up. (Love your username by the way! xD)

"Not all who wander are lost.

...But I sure am." -doge

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest