*deep breath before the plunge*

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself *deep breath before the plunge*

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    E.B. Raulands
    @e-b-raulands

@a_small_mousepad
    Thank-you for the link! I’ve seen Sanderson’s name come up on the site a couple of times but had no idea who he was. =) I think I’m really going to enjoy watching these!
    (BTW, I think addressing emotional extremes is a great theme!)

@evelyn

Oh, those poems are so well-written! I really like the playful tone Dickinson has in “I’m a Nobody.”

Poems have become really spontaneous for me; usually, they start with a poignant/pleasant phrase that either pops into my head or springs from a thought I’m toying with at the moment. If I’m drawn to this phrase, I’ll try to create a line to follow it. As lines start coming, a vague idea of what the structure will be also begins to surface. At that point, I’ll either keep the structure in the back of my mind and write lines as they come or write the lines I have into the structure while leaving spaces for uncreated lines. After writing the draft, the last step (of course) is tweaking words, repairing rhymes, and growling over meters that are off by half a foot. (I’m not sure if this is how I always write poetry, but I have noticed this pattern with recent poems.)
    What process do you use to create poems?

To the glory of God and for the advancement of His kingdom.

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@e-b-raulands My process sounds a lot like yours, especially starting off with one phrase or picture and then in the end toiling and “growling” over meter than are off by just a tiny bit. I find that the creative side of my brain is very hard to control – I have trouble just turning it on when I want it… especially when I want it, which has ups and definitely downs. I find that if I stress out about wanting to write a poem or story when my idea bank is empty and when I try to force creativity, I rarely get anything down, or at least anything good. Most of my “plot bunnies” as some people call them, and light bulbs come when I’m trying to fall asleep after a long day or in the middle of working through my Math lessons. Usually that is after a couple exhausting weeks of antagonizing over a lack of creativity and ideas though. Just out of the blue – an idea. Do you have this problem?

E.B. Raulands
    @e-b-raulands

@evelyn
    I do experience this problem; it usually happens when I get a “bug” (a strong urge to write something creative). I want to write something, I have to write something, but I can’t write something because absolutely nothing is coming! It’s really annoying. I came up with a method once to get creative ideas flowing, and (at least the first time I used it) it actually worked (I haven’t used it much though, so I don’t know how helpful it really is.)
    I think a bigger problem for me than turning my creativity on is turning it off.  Sometimes it’s almost impossible for me to get the “plot bunnies” (BTW, I’ve never heard that term before, but I like it a lot!) from jumping around in my head. It’s hard to deal with because most of the time I’m trying to focus on something else, like homework or listening to someone. Does this happen to you too?

Allison Grace
    @allison-grace

@e-b-raulands

I actually have no smart phone. XD So, I don’t use emojies to text, but I use them on a writing community. 😛

Hmm. Well, my least favorite is The Last Jedi. I hated it. Flying Leia, seriously? ;P

I really am a fan of the TV show Rebels.

I guess I don’t have a favorite movie! But the original characters and the prequel characters seem more developed than the newer ones. (You can tell I’m a writer. Over analyzing things. XD) I for one, like the prequels.

My favorite characters from the movies are R2 and BB-8. Who are yours?

"I cannot live without books." -Thomas Jefferson

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@e-b-raulands

Hey! Sorry if this feels super intrusive… But what ya’ll are talking about is so true! One thing I’ve found helps me write, when I’m having trouble writing creatively, is just to tell my self: “Okay Wordsmith, forget what your expectations for the story are, just take this character and write it like Wordsmith would. Just let your style flow and don’t care what the story looks like.”

I’ve found that when I do this, is helps me not to worry about the outcome, but at the same time my creativity will (by default) slowly work towards my ultimate goal, and maybe even help spur new ideas on.

-Wordsmith- Author of short stories, Reader of many books, Student in writing, and Lumenite!

Evelyn
    @evelyn

“Sometimes it’s almost impossible for me to get the “plot bunnies” (BTW, I’ve never heard that term before, but I like it a lot!) from jumping around in my head. It’s hard to deal with because most of the time I’m trying to focus on something else, like homework or listening to someone. Does this happen to you too?”

@e-b-raulands
    Yeah, I had never heard of the term “Plot Bunnies” until a couple weeks ago. 🙂 I feel like you know exactly what I’m struggling with though! Yay! Kindred spirit! 🙂 Now we just need to find someone who knows how to solve our problems! 😛

E.B. Raulands
    @e-b-raulands

@allison-grace
    Yes, the “flying Leia” scene should’ve been left out of the film entirely. I didn’t hate The Last Jedi, but I do think it could’ve told the story better and with less time. The character development in the new trilogy also seems very subtle, maybe too subtle. (If you ever want to see critiques on VIII, you should read the 1-star reviews on Amazon. While some are just rants and curses against the film, several make excellent points about the plot/character holes.)
    I always thought the prequels were pretty good and consistent with the style of the originals (though I also think II and III used too much CGI). My favorite character is definitely Han Solo, but I also like R2, C-3PO (in the original trilogy), Jar-Jar Binks, Finn, BB-8, and K2. I haven’t seen any of the Star Wars t.v. series, but I think I’ve heard of Rebels before. It’s supposed to take place between Episodes III and IV, right?

(Oh, and I know exactly what you mean about analyzing films; my family does it all the time! =D)

@wordsmith

Oh no, please feel free to jump in whenever you’d like! =)
    Actually, the help you mentioned is exactly why I avoided writing drafts on the computer for so long. I’d get so consumed with making something sound better that I’d end up bogging myself down and impeding my progress. The story definitely flows much more easily and creatively when “perfection” is left to revisions!
    Do you have any suggestions for coming up with story ideas?

@evelyn

We’re kindred spirits kindled on Story Embers! =) (Is that too much wordplaying?)
    Identifying problems is probably half (or at least a quarter) of the battle for a writer, and I suspect we’re in the right place to find answers for those problems. Maybe we can help each other when we feel a creative dearth too!

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@e-b-raulands Wonderful wordplay! I approve. 🙂

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@e-b-raulands

Cool! So… it is a good point you make that worrying about perfection does hurt our creativity… but I was referring more to plot expectations. So when we have a certain expectation for where the plot will go, and we try really hard to make it go there, that can hurt the creative process, but if we just kinda let the plot point sit at the back of our mind, and just write, I think that plot point will come round one way or another.

Also, it’s okay to write good prose when on a first draft, but we don’t want to let that bog us down. So it’s okay  to correct as we go, and we don’t want to be writing trash, but that’s why we practice. So that the good prose comes naturally.

As for coming up with story ideas… That is not my strongest point. Here is what I will say… I start with a character… and work the plot around them. Sometimes I have trouble working character relationships in, and focus to much on writing flow and action, which makes my character not so interesting. So I’m still working on learning how to form plots and stories… But maybe we can work on that together 🙂

-Wordsmith- Author of short stories, Reader of many books, Student in writing, and Lumenite!

E.B. Raulands
    @e-b-raulands

@wordsmith
    Thank-you for the clarification! (Sorry I misunderstood the first time.  =(  )
    I think that’s great advice, especially for when a writer hasn’t quite figured out everything he wants to happen in the plot (which is usually where I’m at when I begin a story). If the author lets the story take him where it leads him, he’ll probably come up with a more natural (and creative) story in the long run! (Would rushing to a plot point by skimming over other events count as forcing a plot expectation?)
    I think I lean towards making plots around characters too; however, this method can be problematic for me because I can get so focused on the characters’ thoughts and emotions that I forget about the rest of the plot.
    It would be great to collaborate on stories and plots!  =)

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@e-b-raulands

🙂 No worries!

Hmm… What is your intent in rushing? Will this make the story feel way to fast paced? I would say that if you really want to get a plot point so badly that you skim over other events can lead to a disappointing story arc, though it depends on what exactly you are talking about.

E.B. Raulands
    @e-b-raulands

@wordsmith
    I wish the rushing I was referring to was an intentional plot device (which would at least mean I’d have a good reason for speeding along)!
    When I mentioned rushing, I was thinking back to when I attempted to write my first novel. I was trying to draft the events as they happened in the story, but what I found was that I’d usually be so eager to get to a future part of the story that I’d skim over the portion I was currently writing so that I could forward more quickly.
    I thought maybe this could be classified as forcing a plot point, but now that I’ve explained it a little more, I’m thinking the fault lies more in my impatience than anything else (though I also expect such a method would inevitably lead to a disappointing story arc)!  =)

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@e-b-raulands

What you just described sounds like inexperienced writing… In which case the arc will be either ill-defined/confusing or be clear but boring. When writing, I think we want to hit a spot where we are comfortable letting the story take its pace, and or are really good at outlining and planning everything out. Some people are really good at that, but it’s something that I think takes practice to do well, and is probably something one does more when they are writing books, and even more books.

I think the more books I write, the more value I will find in outlining.

Martin Detwiler
    @karthmin

@e-b-raulands I was one of the first to greet you, and then the last to reply to your questions. 🙁 I apologize for the lack of follow-thru in our conversation! I asked how you got into writing, and you replied (thank you!) and redirected the question back at me. In answer, I think my story is fairly similar to your own. I started writing my first story when I was around ten years old, and enjoyed it so much that writing stories became something of a hobby through my teenage years. But for the longest time, it was just that: a hobby.

Until I sat down and looked at what kind of things I wanted to give back to others throughout my life, I didn’t treat writing as a serious interest. But when I realized how integral writing had become to me as an individual, I resigned myself to my fate, and resolved to serve God the best that I can through it! So that’s where I’m at today: struggling to find the time and willpower to write my stories in the midst of my increasingly hectic adult life (seriously, I am so jealous of my teenage years and all the TIME I had to write back then; it was amazing).

Again, apologies for the delay of response!

Areth,

Karthmin

P.S. I have also yet to reply to your comment on the Allegory vs. Symbolism thread (I haven’t forgotten!). I will reply sometime soon, I hope. But the true purpose of this PS is to ask if my suspicions about your identity are correct.

You mentioned in the ‘A vs. S’ thread that you knew me in person… and the only person I can think of who fits all the clues I’ve gathered is someone with the initials GF. The acronym AWOL may also mean something to you, if you are the person I am thinking of. If not, I’m lost! Without compromising your pseudonym, can you confirm or deny my suspicions??? I’ve been trying to puzzle it out for a bit and haven’t come up with any other candidates…

Anyway, farewell in earnest this time. May God bless you today.

myths don't die

E.B. Raulands
    @e-b-raulands

@karthmin
    Hey, no worries! 🙂
    I suffer from the same problems you mentioned, though I think willpower is the more troublesome one for me right now. (I can get distracted/disinterested pretty quickly sometimes!) However, I have a feeling time’s going to be more fickle as I devote more hours to studying and have less to spend on becoming a “real” writer. (Hopefully there’s a happy medium where it’ll be possible to get a book of poems published amid taking CLEP exams!)
    Now, regarding your suspicions…you got it right! *confetti rains down* I apologize if I made my “secret identity” too much of a quandary, but I am glad you were able to piece it together successfully! Have you been placed in a guild yet?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest