*deep breath before the plunge*

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself *deep breath before the plunge*

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@e-b-raulands

No problem!

And I write primarily short stories, that seem to fall in either fantasy, or a contemporary/science fiction mix.

-Wordsmith- Author of short stories, Reader of many books, Student in writing, and Lumenite!

E.B. Raulands
    @e-b-raulands

@bigideaskc
    Wow! Your book sounds really cool! The cover looks very professional as well.
    Pretty much everything I’ve managed to finish has been poetry, but I would really like to write fantasy fiction. However, I have an extremely bad habit of starting stories and never finishing them. How do you keep yourself focused on finishing a story you’ve started?

To the glory of God and for the advancement of His kingdom.

A.N. Parker
    @bigideaskc

However, I have an extremely bad habit of starting stories and never finishing them. How do you keep yourself focused on finishing a story you’ve started?

Oh, man. I have the exact same problem, @e-b-raulands. I have made so many fan-fictions that I am really excited about, but my “fire” evaporates and I never finish it.

I guess my motivation for finishing the writing process of False Awakening was that it’s a real book that I want to invest my time into (not just a hobby, something I want to do), and, of course, the motivation of seeing the book in my hands. 🙂 The sooner, the better. 😀

Grammar Geek | Steampunk Enthusiast | Published Author | Winged Warrior | Avatar by RedPhoenix15

Allison Grace
      @allison-grace

@e-b-raulands Hi, Bree! Nice to meet you! And liking grammar is not weird. I’m the kind of person who must dot every “i” and cross every “t.’ (Notice how I put the letters in quotes. XD)

"I cannot live without books." -Thomas Jefferson

E.B. Raulands
      @e-b-raulands

@bigideaskc
      I guess my motivation for finishing the writing process of False Awakening was that it’s a real book that I want to invest my time into (not just a hobby, something I want to do)…”

That’s probably the very reason why I haven’t finished anything major yet; it encourages me to become more serious in my writings. What you’ve accomplished is extremely phenomenal, and I hope you have similar if not more success with your future writing projects!  =)

@allison-grace

Hello Allison! It’s nice to meet you too!
      I’m so glad I’m not the only one who loves correct grammar! And yes, I do notice the quotes around the letters! I hope you don’t mind if I ask you this, but does it ever frustrate you to see something “professional” (like a sign or an article in the newspaper) with incorrect punctuation in it? *hopeful look*
      What are your favorite genres to write in?

Allison Grace
      @allison-grace

@e-b-raulands Yes, it does! My mom often finds signs at National Parks with typos. XD

I write fantasy and poetry. I also write Star Wars fan fiction. How about you?

E.B. Raulands
      @e-b-raulands

@allison-grace
      National park signs?! (Please excuse the fragment.) Of all the texts in the world that could contain typos, national park signs are the last place grammatical infractions should be found! Is their no sanctuary?! XD
      On a slightly more level-headed note, I write poety too! (I also love fantasy, but I haven’t actually written much in it…yet.) What’s your favorite poetic style to write in?

Oh, and I’m a Star Wars fan too. =)

Allison Grace
      @allison-grace

@e-b-raulands XD

I simply can’t do text abbreviations. Excepting btw and gtg. Oh, on occasion I use lol. But they confuse me. It took me forever to realize irl means “in real life.” Well, I googled it, so it wasn’t forever… But without google, I would still be trying to figure it out. XD

I write free style poetry. But I have to be in a poetry mood. My favorite poem I wrote is a baseball poem. 😀

Awesome! What’s your favorite movie?

Abbey Bishop
      @a_small_mousepad

@e-b-raulands

Brandon and I are so honored to have inspired your profile picture. To answer your question, I write a little bit of everything, but I favor fantasy above all others. Although, I like to say that I also write science fiction, because the one book I actually feel passionate about writing belongs to that genre.

I couldn’t help, but to read all the other comments on this thread and I saw that you have trouble finishing stories. I have the exact same problem. It’s not even funny how many writing projects I started and gave up on after writing the first few pages. I find that my excitement dies out incredibly fast.

My current WIP, Dijetka, is faring far better. I’m currently writing my fourth chapter!  And there’s a good reason for it.  Half a year ago, I started uploading my chapters to Wattpad as I write them. (I write at an incredibly slow pace.) Despite having to wait anywhere between 1-3 months for another chapter, I have acquired a good five readers who adore my book. It’s really encouraging to have them because now I feel obligated to continue writing the book. (If I were to start uploading consistently, I could probably have many more readers.)

Some Wattpad  users also upload books called “graphic shops”. You can actually request book covers from them! To “pay” for the covers, you usually only have to give credit to the user who makes it. About a week ago, I received a cover and I haven’t stopped smiling since. Seeing a professional looking cover for your book makes writing it seem much more possible.

Wattpad can make you feel like an actual author and it is wonderful for your moral. I’m not sure if it’s something you’re interested in doing, but if it is, I’d be glad to be your first reader! (I also know of a few tips to help you acquire readers.)

~a member of the great Meraki guild~

Evelyn
        @evelyn

@e-b-raulands

First of all, sorry for taking a long time to get back. I was out of town. 🙂

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of Shel Silverstein before (could you tell me a little more about this poet?), but I do know Emily Dickinson; have you ever read Dickinson’s “The Bustle in a House” or “To Make a Prairie”?

Shel Silverstein is a kid’s picture book writer and poet. (Also play-writer I think, though I’ve not read any of them.) His book The Giving Tree is one of my favorite children’s picture books and so if you want a really sad but very sweet  story about life check it out. 🙂 His poetic styles are very unique and silly and you can find one of his collections at a library probably if you’re curious.

I’ve not read either of those Dickinson’s poems. Are those your favorite poems of hers?

What is your favorite subject to write poetry on?

I would say I have three different sort of genres and subjects to my poems. On one side my poetry reflects things I am going through and I find poetry to be a good way to just get my thoughts down and express my troubles and hopes. I also enjoy to write poems that are more silly and fun, making fun of little sibling’s fights or writer’s block, and then sometimes I like use a more fantastical feel and write in a more sonnet style about trolls, elves, or other sorts of creatures.

What about you? What do you like to write poetry about?

E.B. Raulands
        @e-b-raulands

@allison-grace
        Yeah, I don’t use texting abbreviations either; I also usually write in full sentences when I text. I know I’m not “supposed” to do that, but what can I say? =D Do you ever write emoji texts?
        The Empire Strikes Back used to be my favorite, but now I think I like A New Hope the best. Which film is your favorite?

@a_small_mousepad

I’ve discovered that one of the things I’m very good at as a writer is frustrating my mother with half-written stories. And yes, excitement does seem to fizzle very quickly (usually right after one thinks something like, “Oh, this is such a great idea! I’m definitely going to finish this story this time!”). =D
        It can be very frustrating.
        I’ve never heard of Wattpad before, but it does sound like a great source of motivation! Will Wattpad allow shorter works to be uploaded, or is it strictly for novel-sized WIPs?
        Congratulations on your progress! *Peanut blows confetti out of his trunk* Your cover looks really neat (That word is too archaic, isn’t it?) cool too! What’s your book about?

@evelyn

Oh, I remember The Giving Tree, especially the ending! It was so sweet! =)
        Yes, I think I like those poems the best among the ones I’ve read from her. I really like the image she creates with the last four lines of “Bustle in a House” (1087), and “To Make a Prairie” (1755) makes me smile when I read it. What are your favorite poems from her?
        Most of my poems could probably be classified as nature poems or as devotional/didactic poems (though both are frequently mingled together.) I’m not sure I have a favorite subject though; while I enjoy writing about nature, I think I enjoy writing evocative images and pleasing cadences more than writing on one subject.  Is it the same for you?

Abbey Bishop
        @a_small_mousepad

@e-b-raulands

You can upload anything you want to Wattpad. Poetry, short stories, novels, and some people also have portfolios of their art, etc. You probably haven’t heard of it because it’s mainly known for cliche teen fiction and poorly written fan fictions. Although it is a smaller population in comparison, there are still millions of users worldwide who write outside of those genres.

I greatly appreciate archaic words and phrases. They truly are the cat’s pajamas.

My book follows Merrick, a 64 year old man who hasn’t seen another human being since he was seven. He lives on the planet Dijetka with the Tjantes, a colorful race that discourages emotions. Merrick starts a revolution with storytelling as his greatest weapon.

I also have a very intricate love triangle planned out that I’m completely obsessed with. It later causes Merrick to become depressed. Because I’d like to paint a picture of how emotion is very powerful, but can also be destructive.

I know that you mainly write poetry (something I wish I could relate to, but sadly cannot), but what book genre do you find yourself drawn towards?

E.B. Raulands
          @e-b-raulands

@a_small_mousepad
          Thank-you for the information on Wattpad! I may upload some WIPs in the future, but I don’t think I’m quite ready/able to take that step just yet.
          I like your story premise, especially the fact that a storyteller is the hero! =) You mentioned that you wanted to paint a picture of how emotions can be destructive. Would you contrast that theme with the idea that deadening oneself to emotions (like the Tjantes) can also be disastrous?
          Fantasy is definitely my favorite genre! While I haven’t really written any fantasy and enjoy other genres, I would (eventually) like to write a fantasy fiction series. I’ve kind of been trying to work out some ideas for an imaginary language for my fantasy world, but I’m not sure how far I’m actually going to develop it.

Abbey Bishop
          @a_small_mousepad

Absolutely! I love showing both sides of the coin.

I was really hoping that you would say fantasy! There actually is a second thing that initiated my motivation. It was a series of lectures by Brandon Sanderson for his Fantasy/Science Fiction class.

I reccommend giving them a watch sometime. But if you do, make sure you have a pen and paper with you, because you’re going to want to take notes. 🙂

Evelyn
            @evelyn

@e-b-raulands

Some of my favorite Emily Dickenson poems are “Hope is a Thing with Feathers” and “I’m a Nobody, Who are you?”

I’m not sure I have a favorite subject though; while I enjoy writing about nature, I think I enjoy writing evocative images and pleasing cadences more than writing on one subject.  Is it the same for you?

Yes. I’d rather perform good job in writing my poems than always write the same kind of poetry.

How do you go about writing poetry? Do you wait for a spark of inspiration? Or do you tell yourself to sit down and write a poem every couple days? What is it like for you?

On a different note of just reminiscing… poetry is such a beautiful art. I love just going somewhere quiet and reading it aloud. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest