*deep breath before the plunge*

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself *deep breath before the plunge*

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    E.B. Raulands
    @e-b-raulands

Hello everyone! My name is Bree, and I’m so excited to be a part of Story Embers!

I have been saved by the grace of God through the blood of His Son, Jesus Christ, and desire both to glorify God and, ultimately, proclaim the Gospel with my writings! (Perhaps these comments go without saying, but I don’t suppose there’s any harm in saying them either.)

I love grammar (is that odd?), and my favorite part about writing is creating characters. My favorite genres are fantasy and poetry (especially sonnets), though I also enjoy reading well-written mysteries and children’s fiction.

As a writer, probably my two major weaknesses/concerns are finishing stories and trying to avoid “movie-writing” (writing as if I was describing a screenplay).

I look forward to getting to know you all better and sharing my work with you!

Jer. 31:3

To the glory of God and for the advancement of His kingdom.

@e-b-raulands We have identical weaknesses.

If you make decisions out of fear, you are more likely to be wrong

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@e-b-raulands

Amen! And even though it might go without saying, wear it like a crown of glory!

Welcome to Story Embers… My name is Wordsmith. *my… she never would have guessed* Well… maybe that isn’t actually my name, at least as legal documents go. But I guess it is what you may call me.

I too greatly enjoy the intricacies of linguistics, in which you will find the subcategory of grammar. And yes… creating a character… It is something else. My favorite thing… though not to create the character himself (or herself)… is the paint the character. I want you to be able to see that character, be in the moment with that character, even to the degree that I forget what it means to be a character.

This is one of my major weaknesses as a writer. I get so involved in smooth transitions, and lovely images, that I forget about character relations. I forget what makes a character… I have to work  hard to make a character a character.

I look very much forward to getting to know you better.

-Wordsmith- Author of short stories, Reader of many books, Student in writing, and Lumenite!

E.B. Raulands
    @e-b-raulands

@theinvizibleman
    I am both sorry (because they’re hard to overcome) and glad (because there’s someone out there who can relate) that we have the same weaknesses.

@wordsmith

Thank-you for your encouragement! =)
    I enjoy painting characters too; it can be really fun, especially when the character’s appearance is particularly foreboding/distinct. However, I have a hard time knowing when I’m giving a good, thorough description and when I’m just rambling on about miniscule details that bore the reader. How do you know when “enough is enough”?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by E.B. Raulands.

Martin Detwiler
    @karthmin

@e-b-raulands Welcome to the forum! I’m only slightly older than you are, in terms of forum age (I’ve been around for like two weeks), but I think I can already say with confidence that you’ll like this place. The people here are great and the close atmosphere helps to encourage growth along your writing journey. 😀

I love creating characters as well. All too often they grab my pen and start writing their own story… It’s always fascinating to see what comes out when that happens!

I’m curious, how did you get into writing? Every writer’s story is different and I love hearing what brought them to the place they’re at. So what about you?

myths don't die

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@e-b-raulands Loving grammar is not weird!!

Welcome to Story Embers! Yay! Another poet! Do you have a favorite poet/poem?

Parker Hankins
    @parker

Welcome, welcome, e-b-raulands@! *showers confetti* We’re glad to have you here! I like grammar too! Creating characters is a LOT of fun!

Living in a world of mystery and dangerous predicaments while working with the AWESOME Meraki's.

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@e-b-raulands

Have you ever read N.D. Wilson’s 100 Cupboards? N.D. Wilson has a fabulous way of using description in his stories. So I recommend looking at him, but now I tell you what I do.

When writing, very little do I state things about an object, I like to specify what that object is doing. I want the reader not only to see what is going on, but to hear, smell, feel, ect… And not only do I mix my description with all the other senses (as much as I think about it), I also mix it with action. Something is happening to the object that draws out a certain attribute. So a very simple example is this… “Leaves rustled in the wind…” This is one of the most basic examples (because some of the more complex examples also involve how this object rustling and pulling out and attribute effects a character.) but it gives you an idea.

-Wordsmith- Author of short stories, Reader of many books, Student in writing, and Lumenite!

E.B. Raulands
    @e-b-raulands

@karthmin
    Hello Karthmin! Thank-you for your welcome! =)
    Unfortunately, I don’t think I can give you a concise story about how I started writing. I think I’ve just always loved making up stories and characters, whether they were based on films, created in collaboration with my brother, or simply made with my own imagination. I’ve almost always wanted to write professionally (despite my mother’s concerns that I will starve if I do so), and maybe, Lord-willing, I will someday. What about you? When did you start writing?

@evelyn

Hooray! A fellow poetry/grammar/tea/gray-sky/movie lover!!
    While I don’t have a favorite poet, I do have several favorite poems: John Donne’s Holy Sonnet 10, Edna St. Vincent Millay’s Sonnet XXVI, and Edmund Spenser’s Sonnet 57 (to name a few). What are your favorite poems? What poetic form(s) do you enjoy writing in?

@parker

Thank-you for your warm welcome! Three cheers for the grammarians!

@wordsmith

Thank-you for your advice! Describing a character/object with actions makes a lot more sense than simply giving a “list” description (not to mention more engaging). While I haven’t read 100 Cupboards before, I’ll certainly look into it! Do you happen to know when 100 Cupboards was published?

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@e-b-raulands

No problem!

And yes! It was published in 2007… The second book in 2009, and the third in 2010. The whole series is brilliant (And is a continuous story. You can’t just read the first one.) I have read every single one of his fiction books, and recommend all of them.

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@e-b-raulands I’ve never heard of any of those poems before I will have to look them up! I don’t really have a favorite poet but ones that I read a lot are Emily Dickenson and Shel Silverstein.  As to poetry forms, I write either free-form which never really turns out, or a very basic ABAB pattern with meter that usually turns out a lot better. What about you?

(And on a side note I agree with the Wordsmith about reading N.D.Wilson. All his books are good and almost all of then are just absolutely amazing! Even his non-fiction which is thoughtful and beautiful.)

Abbey Bishop
    @a_small_mousepad

@e-b-raulands

Welcome! I noticed that you also have a stuffed animal as your profile picture! I have a feeling that we’re going to be great friends!

I have a little question for you: Out of all stuffed animals, why did you choose that particular one?

On another note, I’m so glad that you’re sticking to writing despite your mother’s worries. I find that a lot of adults think making a living in creative arts is unrealistic. Which is understandable, but also very discouraging. Keep your head up!

~a member of the great Meraki guild~

A.N. Parker
      @bigideaskc

I love grammar (is that odd?)

Welcome, @e-b-raulands! I love grammar, too! 😀 It’s not odd. XD

Grammar Geek | Steampunk Enthusiast | Published Author | Winged Warrior | Avatar by RedPhoenix15

E.B. Raulands
        @e-b-raulands

@wordsmith
        Thank-you so much! (I had never heard of N.D. Wilson before, so I wasn’t sure if I could get the book from Gutenberg Press or not.) Oh, I haven’t asked you yet, but I was wondering what genres you write in?

@evelyn

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of Shel Silverstein before (could you tell me a little more about this poet?), but I do know Emily Dickinson; have you ever read Dickinson’s “The Bustle in a House” or “To Make a Prairie”?

I really love both sonnet forms. The set rhyme schemes, the highly-structured nature of the form, and their conciseness really appeal to me. (The stanzas in the poem I posted were inspired by the Italian sonnet structure.) What is your favorite subject to write poetry on?

@a_small_mousepad

Hello Abbey! I’m glad to meet you! (Believe it or not, your profile photo was what inspired me to use a stuffed animal for mine!)
        When I was deciding which animal to use, I knew I wanted to use a Beanie Boos for my picture. I almost used Mungo, my rather disgruntled-looking cat; however, Peanut’s picture looked so endearing that I decided to use him instead. I like your triceratops, by the way!
        Thank-you for your support. I think the most discouraging thing for me about writing is thinking about all the writers there are in the world and wondering if I could ever write well enough to compete. Ultimately, though, if God wants me to write, I have nothing to worry about except the next step, which is an encouraging thought. What genres do you like to write in?

@bigideaskc

Thank-you for welcoming me! I’m so glad there are other people who love grammar too! What do you like to write?

A.N. Parker
        @bigideaskc

Thank-you for welcoming me! I’m so glad there are other people who love grammar too! What do you like to write?

You’re very welcome, @e-b-raulands! Well, I have already written and published a children’s book called The Princess Chronicles, but right now I’m wrapping up the editing phase of my novel for teens and young adults called False Awakening. Here’s a sample of the cover and back. 🙂

And then the back:

What do you like to write in, or are writing in? 🙂

Grammar Geek | Steampunk Enthusiast | Published Author | Winged Warrior | Avatar by RedPhoenix15

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest