Critique request [EMBERS book blurb]

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Critique request [EMBERS book blurb]

This topic contains 14 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Emberynus The Dragonslayer 2 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Jenna Terese
    @jenwriter17

Hi, all! I recently wrote up the book blurb for my superhero novel, Embers. I’m not very good at writing blurbs and I feel like this one is too long. Any and all help will be appreciated!

Here’s the link to the blurb: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LRD3ndwALf7aaoKmpeKP6rEQEUW5x-3-UaGWQ4UAp5k/edit?usp=sharing

@seekjustice @rochellaine @theresa-play @dekreel @snapper @gabrielle-pollack @faith_blum @kendra-lynne @christianna-hellwig @ariel @anyone

"If you want to change the world, pick up your pen and write." -Martin Luther
    www.jennaterese.com

Emberynus The Dragonslayer
    @emberynus-the-dragonslayer

@jenwriter17

Hey, I’m kinda new on here and I don’t know if I can do much to help you with this. . . but I’ll try.

I do think it’s a little long. I just researched book blurbs and there are a lot of helpful websites with ideas on writing them. I think researching it on line would be very helpful.

http://authorsociety.com/17-tips-how-write-blurb-sells

here’s one place I found

hope it helps

You can't live for long living for nothing-Hector Griffin

Jenna Terese
      @jenwriter17

@emberynus-the-dragonslayer This is a great article! Thank you! This will really help me with this 🙂

www.jennaterese.com

Faith Blum
      @faith_blum

I made one comment on the doc, but my main suggestion is to cut it down a lot. Book blurbs should be shorter than what you have. Keep it to the most basic parts of the storyline only and do three or four paragraphs. Basically, follow the tips in the article mentioned above.

ISTJ ~ Independently published author ~ wife ~ mother of two in heaven ~ www.faithblum.com

@jenwriter17

I’m glad that helps, You’re welcome! 🙂

It’s nice to meet you BTW. Like I said I’m new on here and am still getting to know people.

Jenna Terese
        @jenwriter17

@faith_blum @christianna-hellwif @emberynus-the-dragonslayer

Just wanted to let you all know that I’ve rewritten the blurb, and it is MUCH shorter. 🙂 If you want to take another look at it (it’s just right below the first one), I would really appreciate it!

@emberynus-the-dragonslayer, It’s nice to meet you too! 😀 What genre do you write in?

www.jennaterese.com

@jenwriter17 ok I’ll go check it out.

I write in historical fiction, mystery, some fantasy and romance. Wha about you?

@jenwriter17

Cool!!!! That is a lot better. Leaves a whole lot more suspense to the story!!

Faith Blum
            @faith_blum

That is much better!

ISTJ ~ Independently published author ~ wife ~ mother of two in heaven ~ www.faithblum.com

Jenna Terese
            @jenwriter17

@faith_blum @emberynus-the-dragonslayer Thank you! 😀

@emberynus-the-dragonslayer, I write mostly sci-fi/futuristic. But I used to write historical fiction a lot. It’s great that you write mysteries; I tried that once, failed miserably, and decided I wasn’t cut out for it, lol. 😀

www.jennaterese.com

@jenwriter17

Cool. yeah, Lol, guess writing mysteries isn’t for everyone. Who’s you favorite author?

Jenna Terese
              @jenwriter17

That would probably be Nadine Brandes. I can’t get enough of her writing. What about you?

www.jennaterese.com

@jenwriter17

Hmm, never heard of Nadine Brandes.

My favorite author is George MacDonald.

Jenna Terese
                @jenwriter17

@emberynus-the-dragonslayer OH MY WORD REALLY??? You should definitely check her out! She wrote the Out of Time series (sci-fi/futuristic), and historical fantasies Fawkes and Romanov.

And I’ve never heard of George MacDonald before. 😉 Guess I’ll have to check him out.

www.jennaterese.com

@jenwriter17

I’ve heard of  Fawkes, just never read it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Learn What Readers Want

We compiled and analyzed how 300+ readers answered 18 questions about what they want to see in fiction. Get the free e-book and we'll also regularly send you resources to help you grow as a writer.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest