fb

Crazy, Quirky Characters…How Do You Make Them Seem Real?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Crazy, Quirky Characters…How Do You Make Them Seem Real?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

Can anybody relate to this: You excitedly tell your less-then-impressed family members how you have just created an amazing superhero who can shoot cherry-seeds out of their bellybutton as self-defense, and your brother looks at you like you’ve got broccoli growing out of the top of your head, and says, “YOU ARE DEFINITELY MENTALLY UNSTABLE.”

πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„ (yes that actually happened)

SO, to everybody out there who likes creating zany, crazy, quirky characters. πŸ€ͺ (You know what I’m talking about… the multi-colored hedgehog that can recite the entire U.S. Constitution just by reading it through once, the normal looking kid that isn’t so normal, who can eat through metal and read minds while he’s doing it…)

Okay, so those two examples were kinda cheesy…

But you know what I’m trying to say…

YOU GUYS, I NEED YOUR HELP

How do you create crazy, but convincing characters that leave your reader laughing and falling in love with them and not rolling their eyes and going “that is so lame.”???

Please, any hints, tips, helps, opinions are welcome! ANYTHING!!! Β πŸ˜€

I’m not tagging anybody because I’m new to all this and I don’t know who to tag. (I’m still trying to find my way around here, guys.)

"But how could you live and have no story to tell?" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Jessi Rae
    @jessi-rae

HeyΒ @eden-anderson! That’s a great question, and I’ve often wondered it myself. I think the main thing would be to focus on making them real people with likes and dislikes – and one or more outlandish characteristics, hobbies, physical traits, etc. Maybe have these outlandish things contradict with each other or with the character’s personality (while still reflecting who the character is and not being out of character). Hope that helps at least a little!

"How did I escape? With difficulty. How did I plan this moment? With pleasure."

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@eden-anderson

Hahahaha! You just did it right now! When telling about the family experience you actually made me love that character so much. You created a contrast between him and others that makes me want to laugh. So I would say… “Let it goooooo!”

Just make sure you have plenty of people who treat him like a nutshell, and show how this effects him. In fact it would be really interesting to see how it effects him negatively.

Published author, reader of many books, Student in writing, and Lumenite!

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@jessi-rae,Β  @wordsmith

Thanks for your comments…they were really helpful! πŸ˜€

Anybody else, wanna share your wisdom?? πŸ˜€Β πŸ˜€

I just realized that I should have put this in the “Character” forum, instead of this one, the “General Writing Discussions.” WHOOPS!

(I really need to get my act together. πŸ˜€ )

"But how could you live and have no story to tell?" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@eden-anderson

No worries!

Published author, reader of many books, Student in writing, and Lumenite!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest