fb

Controversial Opinion: “Reading makes your writing better” is bad advice

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Controversial Opinion: “Reading makes your writing better” is bad advice

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    imwritehere1920
    @imwritehere1920

@r-m-archer

No problem!Β  Glad you joined in.Β  That advice was really helpful, and I think you made some great points!

(P.S Also, I love your profile picture. Did you add highlights to your hair or are they natural?)

We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master. β€” Ernest Hemingway

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@imwritehere1920

Thank you! I’m glad it was of benefit. πŸ™‚

(Thanks! I might have some natural highlights, but I think it’s just the lighting in the picture, LOL.)

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. Worldbuilding enthusiast. Singer. Fan of classic literat

Martin Detwiler
    @karthmin

The words of @arindown serve as a sufficient stand-in for my own on this subject.

I like the conversation and the premise of objecting to overbearing writing advice; but at the same time, most writing dogma comes from a place of near-universal applicability and shouldn’t be thrown out with the bathwater it has steeped in.

Write, read, grow.Β Live as an artist, as a Godschild lending meaning to the structure of reality around you. Exercise the order-creating power of the logos through speech, song, and story.

You’ll do well then, I dare say.

myths don't die

Daeus Lamb
    @daeus-lamb

@lrc and everyone else

I’m kicking myself I didn’t see this earlier. I read a lot of this discussion, but haven’t got the chance to read all of it. I want to come back and do that if I can.

I don’t see any point repeating what everyone has already said, but thanks @lrc for bringing this topic up! Even through I don’t agree, I love the out of the box thinking. I know I’ve said many times that writers should read well to write well, but I haven’t always clarified what that looks like, so this is a great reminder.

I do just want to mention like others have said that there is no point of arrival in storytelling. I happen to think I’ve just barely arrived at the point where you could give me any story premise and I could turn out a fairly quality first draft in a year, but I still feel just as jealous of other writers’ skills (though I’m far more content with where I’m at now.) The reason is I’m not just trying to be a good writer. I’m trying to be a wonder-chaser.

Dostoevsky kills me with his psychology, Tolkien with his ability to make me homesick for a place that doesn’t exist, Golding should be put on a podium for his symbolism, Bradbury can pulse my heart like a drum to the tune of his prose and the vibe of his world.

These are the things that make them timeless, not that they could stick to three act structure, just like everyone else.

I, the parasite, feed off these expressions of wonder, and they help me write not just a good book but a book that is itself filled with wonder.

πŸ˜€
    πŸ‘•πŸ‘
    πŸ‘– 🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest